Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

What to do with Tas games?

• MCG

Votes: 193 83.5%
  • Darwin

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Albury

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Auckland

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Canberra

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Marvel

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Elsewhere

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Cairns

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I could accept one game up there but a game against a home state team is just crazy stuff lol, what are they thinking?

Excuse for a winter trip up north is appealing. I’d rather not waste a home game against one of the QLD sides where they’d be advantaged though. Prefer to take another low drawing side like GWS, Freo or North there

Challenge with FNQ is the 7 hours of flying time you’re adding to the players loading twice a year. Like 2 extra trips to Perth. Not the end of the world but also not ideal.

I doubt the WA government are going to pay us to do that though.
As I’ve posted before interstate clubs (especially Gold Coast) are pushing for the Vic clubs to play 1 ‘home’ game against a local side interstate. Ie: Hawks V Freo in Perth.

It isn’t about selling/Govt ‘buying’ the game, it’s about lowering the travel of interstate teams. Especially the WA & Qld clubs.

The deal would involve a clean stadium, so in the case above we would play at Optus but all signage, gate takings, etc would be ours.

The suggestion is that it would be a rolling 6 teams per season.
So we’d do it 2 yrs in a row then not the 3rd

Obviously there’s a lot to be thrashed out, but don’t be surprised if it happens.

As I’ve posted before interstate clubs (especially Gold Coast) are pushing for the Vic clubs to play 1 ‘home’ game against a local side interstate. Ie: Hawks V Freo in Perth.

It isn’t about selling/Govt ‘buying’ the game, it’s about lowering the travel of interstate teams. Especially the WA & Qld clubs.

The deal would involve a clean stadium, so in the case above we would play at Optus but all signage, gate takings, etc would be ours.

The suggestion is that it would be a rolling 6 teams per season.
So we’d do it 2 yrs in a row then not the 3rd

Obviously there’s a lot to be thrashed out, but don’t be surprised if it happens.
I would be extremely surprised. Media consensus is that these are ambit claims by the interstate clubs and that there is little to no chance of this happening. Having listened to Gowers many times, we are hoping for a Tasmanian presence, and possible a game in Cairns,

I would be extremely surprised. Media consensus is that these are ambit claims by the interstate clubs and that there is little to no chance of this happening. Having listened to Gowers many times, we are hoping for a Tasmanian presence, and possible a game in Cairns,
Time will tell but wa & Qld sides have a lot of long flights compared to sa & nsw teams & a sh1t load more than Vic teams.

But to be honest, I’ve not seen this in the media so I don’t understand your ‘media consensus’ line

Why do we need to sell our home games anymore?

We have the funds to build our stadium after the pokies sales. Why not bring those games back to Melbourne for our loyal fans. I don’t care if it is 2 MCG and 2 Marvel. I’ve over paying over $900 for two memberships that gives you 7 home games. The 4 replacement games you have to pay anywhere between $15-50 to get on level one.

How annoying is it when we don’t get to see our team play in Melbourne for weeks as we have Tassie home games.

I don’t get why we need the money. We can’t spend it on any off field advantage as there is a soft cap. The AFL looks after struggling clubs through the TV rights deal.

The other big clubs find a way to be profitable without selling home games. Can we think of some new marquee games apart from Easter Monday.

Last edited:

We have the funds to build our stadium after the pokies sales. Why not bring those games back to Melbourne for our loyal fans. I don’t care if it is 2 MCG and 2 Marvel. I’ve over paying over $900 for two memberships that gives you home 7 home games. The 4 replacement games you have to pay anywhere between $15-50 to get on level one.

How annoying is it when we don’t get to see our team play in Melbourne for weeks a we have Tassie home games.

I don’t get why we need the money. We can’t spend it on any off field advantage as there is a soft cap. The AFL looks after struggling clubs through the TV rights deal.

The other big clubs find a way to be profitable without selling home games. Can we think of some new marquee games apart from Easter Monday.
100 per cent. Round 1 vs Essendon for one (our biggest rival). We should be pushing for return MCG matches against Essendon and Carlton (which actually outdraw matches against Collingwood and Geelong)

We have the funds to build our stadium after the pokies sales. Why not bring those games back to Melbourne for our loyal fans. I don’t care if it is 2 MCG and 2 Marvel. I’ve over paying over $900 for two memberships that gives you 7 home games. The 4 replacement games you have to pay anywhere between $15-50 to get on level one.

How annoying is it when we don’t get to see our team play in Melbourne for weeks a we have Tassie home games.

Have you seen the price of equivalent membership packages at the Pies and Tigers? Equivalent of 17 game Kennedy is over 1000 so realistically we are getting a discount already.

I think people never quite comprehended how much the club made from pokies. Whilst the sale of the clubs is commendable and gives us lots of cash (most going into the KCC), without the income we make a marginal profit even including the Tassie leg up.

The club has challenges trying to make up the lost revenue and I for one am glad they are exploring every option.

Time will tell but wa & Qld sides have a lot of long flights compared to sa & nsw teams & a sh1t load more than Vic teams.

But to be honest, I’ve not seen this in the media so I don’t understand your ‘media consensus’ line
I have heard Whately, Wilson and others talk about how most of what the non Vic clubs are asking for is unrealistic and not being seriously considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now we have a stadium why do we need to make a profit? All clubs are subsidised by the TV rights deal.

What do you mean by ‘now we have a stadium’? Dingley isn’t a stadium. Plus relying on the AFL allotment isn’t sufficient to continue being a financial powerhouse.

Playing more games in Queensland is a great idea not sure how the Academy will work but kids join an academy in the hope they can stay in their home state not move to Victoria.

What do you mean by ‘now we have a stadium’? Dingley isn’t a stadium. Plus relying on the AFL allotment isn’t sufficient to continue being a financial powerhouse.
Sorry I meant training facility to attract free agents and give our players the best possible chance to develop and win premierships.

Who’s to say they would support another third market? They never really supported Tassie, and went out of their way to assist the kangaroos there

If you don’t think the AFL would want an ongoing community presence in a rugby league state that’s neglected by the NRL then you don’t know the AFL.

If you don’t think the AFL would want an ongoing community presence in a rugby league state that’s neglected by the NRL then you don’t know the AFL.
If that were the case and the AFL do in fact want us there, then I hope there is some compromise in respect to travel to other states.

My concern is we also travel to Brissie and Perth and Adelaide…..

It feels like we will become an intestate side.

Hopefully we get to vote on it.

If that were the case and the AFL do in fact want us there, then I hope there is some compromise in respect to travel to other states.

My concern is we also travel to Brissie and Perth and Adelaide…..

It feels like we will become an intestate side.

Hopefully we get to vote on it.

Negotiate hard or no thanks

Only games in Melbourne can equal the Tassie deal. Everywhere els, too many compromises need heavy sweeteners

Being a bit technical, but it will be a stadium. One pitch, a training pitch for the men, the other, a stadium for AFLW games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

Back