Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

What to do with Tas games?

• MCG

Votes: 198 82.8%
  • Darwin

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Albury

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Auckland

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Canberra

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Marvel

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Elsewhere

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Cairns

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone give me a reason why Pies get 9 MCG games, Tigers and Demo s 10, but we might only get 8. Are we not a more attractive proposition than Melbourne? The MCG should be supporting us if we push for more games there.

Listen to the Eddie and jimmy podcast, it's to do with the all the Preliminary Finals being taken away from the MCG, when back in 2003 they all had to be played there.

It's why Collingwood play more games there Eddie said, Another few game at MCG for Collingwood makes up the lost revenue, as Collingwood have finals like crowds every game, he went to the AFL with the idea, not sure about the other teams.

Last edited:
Listen to the Eddie and jimmy podcast, it's to do with the all the Preliminary Finals being taken away from the MCG, when back in 2003 they all had to be played there.

It's why Collingwood play more games there Eddie said, Another few game at MCG for Collingwood makes up the lost revenue, as Collingwood have finals like crowds every game, he went to the AFL with the idea.
I mean that makes sense for Collingwood and to a lesser extent Richmond, but Hawthorn draw much larger MCG crowds than Melbourne

Last year, we drew almost 63,000 to 9 MCG home and away games (plus the 98,000 for the final). Imagine what sort of crowds we’ll draw with a decent draw, without starting 0-5 (3 of them MCG games) after finishing 16th

I mean that makes sense for Collingwood and to a lesser extent Richmond, but Hawthorn draw much larger MCG crowds than Melbourne

Last year, we drew almost 63,000 to 9 MCG home and away games (plus the 98,000 for the final). Imagine what sort of crowds we’ll draw with a decent draw, without starting 0-5 (3 of them MCG games) after finishing 16th

It could be Melbourne are the original home tenant so they would get the most I guess, probably like when we were at Waverley and if we had another team come to play all there home game there we would have got more then them, so they have a contract to play all home games there going back since the MCG was built.

I wouldn't be extending in Tassie. I'd love to hear from a local but have we really gotten much out of Tassie? It's served its purpose absolutely, but I wonder how many of these members we have will drop off as soon as the Tassie team enters. The crowds have never been that good, whilst we've taken some of the best players in the history of the game down there regularly.

I know Marvel has this stigma for whatever reason, and as a SA resident I may not understand it all. But if we could get 40-50k there a few times a year and make a big deal of it it could be pretty cool. The club need to find a way to engage what we had in that final against the Dogs, that was seriously nuts, there were 70k plus Hawks fans there. They need to find a way to get 40k of them to come watch us smash the Giants on a Saturday night at Marvel.

I wouldn't be extending in Tassie. I'd love to hear from a local but have we really gotten much out of Tassie? It's served its purpose absolutely, but I wonder how many of these members we have will drop off as soon as the Tassie team enters. The crowds have never been that good, whilst we've taken some of the best players in the history of the game down there regularly.

I know Marvel has this stigma for whatever reason, and as a SA resident I may not understand it all. But if we could get 40-50k there a few times a year and make a big deal of it it could be pretty cool. The club need to find a way to engage what we had in that final against the Dogs, that was seriously nuts, there were 70k plus Hawks fans there. They need to find a way to get 40k of them to come watch us smash the Giants on a Saturday night at Marvel.
Have we gotten much out of Tassie ??

Loads of $$$$$

We needed it 20 - 25 years ago. Not now. The most potential for growth is in Melbourne.

We needed it 20 - 25 years ago. Not now. The most potential for growth is in Melbourne.
The most potential is in Melbourne if the league was run by a non-corrupt board.

Instead, the league is run by the old-boys, and heavily influenced by the media, which means potentially high drawing games for the hawks are pushed to marvel so low drawing games which wouldn't fill marvel involving Carlton and Essendon are at the g so the corporates can sell hyperinflated corporate boxes

Extend 3 more years to play in Tassie and in that time use it to explore options?
Probably most likely, North are dropping at least 1 of their Hobart games apparently. You'd think the Tasmania would want to keep as many games as possible to keep interest until they join.

Or they may want to starve Tasmanian Hawks fans so they lose access to AFL games and have no choice but to jump on the devils.

Probably most likely, North are dropping at least 1 of their Hobart games apparently. You'd think the Tasmania would want to keep as many games as possible to keep interest until they join.

Or they may want to starve Tasmanian Hawks fans so they lose access to AFL games and have no choice but to jump on the devils.
We are contracted for 2025. That leaves 26 & 27 before the Devils enter.
With North in the nose in Hobart and Launceston being redeveloped (capacity will be 15k for much of 2025 - 27), we should approach the AFL about splitting our four games between Launceston and Hobart, on the basis that North are gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

Back