News Hawks keen to re-sign Sewell

Remove this Banner Ad

Sewell as sub ? Might be worth considering

Yes absolutely would benefit his game. Put players in the 21 that have flexibility (position wise) and have a pure mid as sub. Puopolo must be injured or not yet fit to play out a game as he provides flexibility to play across all lines.

Sometimes Sewell drives me nuts with the way he takes forever to dispose of the ball and just boots it clear but he is a very important player to the Hawks.

His game against the tigers was pretty ordinary but so were most of the midfield. I just don't think we can play all of Mitchell, Lewis and Sewell at the center bounce.

That said, I think it is a good move to resign him. He is one of our best contested players and tagger and always gives his best.

Don't rush into signing him...if he wants overs then let him go, if not, then he might provide good depth for the next couple of years.

Sewell has the lest to offer of all our midfielders going forward, age and pace aren't on his side, nor is versatlity, he's been a good player, but If Hawthorn were smart, they'd trade him to either the Gold Coast or GWS, who'd love a another hard bodied midfielder, whilst we'd gain a 2nd first round draft pick in the supposive super draft.

Interesting, if we had kept Kennedy, like many are suggesting, if we can only play two of Mitch, Sewell, Lewis, then two of that trio would now have to go

On age, Mitch and Sewell would go, and our insiders would be Kennedy and Lewis.

how,d Kennedy go on the weekend without a dominant ruck ?

Sometimes Sewell drives me nuts with the way he takes forever to dispose of the ball and just boots it clear but he is a very important player to the Hawks.

His game against the tigers was pretty ordinary but so were most of the midfield. I just don't think we can play all of Mitchell, Lewis and Sewell at the center bounce.

That said, I think it is a good move to resign him. He is one of our best contested players and tagger and always gives his best.
For the last 3 years we have not been able to play Sewell,Hodge ,Mitchell and Lewis in the centre square together.

Sewell has the lest to offer of all our midfielders going forward, age and pace aren't on his side, nor is versatlity, he's been a good player, but If Hawthorn were smart, they'd trade him to either the Gold Coast or GWS, who'd love a another hard bodied midfielder, whilst we'd gain a 2nd first round draft pick in the supposive super draft.
I think he has more to offer than Sammy Mitchell in pace and Sam seems to have gone right off the boil lately.

Sewell is averaging 24 disposals (2nd after Mitchell) and 6 tackles (2nd after Mitchell) per game so far this season. Thats an improvement on last year. Not too shabby from a stats perspective. Sewell gives his all every game and his leadership + experience is valuable. 28 aint old for AFL.

I am often lost for words when I read the forums here, especially after a loss.

Sewell's biggest asset for the Hawks is his determination to get the ball. He has the strength to hold the ball up in the midfield, and he often forces a contest - which has been a big part of our gameplan in recent years, as without a fully formed defence, we're reliant on keeping the ball in the centre of the ground whilst we flood back.

You don't need to have a great overhead mark, or elite goal kicking skills to do that - Sewell provides something that we've cried out for. If you took him straight out of the team, you'd be surprised at how much you'd miss him - his tackling presence and contest for the footy is needed.

I would be terribly sad to see Sewell go, especially as I think he has more in him - but if there are other players knocking on the door and he wants significant recompense (and there are other teams offering above the odds for him), I could understand him leaving.

I find it amusing that Sewell always bobs up as a scapegoat given he is one of a few that is always working hard at the contest. He'll get beaten from time to time and he is not an elite left footer but more than compensates for some of the deficiencies we have in his area of expertise.

Agreed. Provides a great role model for Shiels.

His best days are no doubt gone, but deserves a bit more respect. Probably has one more two year contract in him. Would love to see him finish his career at the Hawks.

Would be a very good sub player for mine, coming on half way through the 3rd quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it amusing that Sewell always bobs up as a scapegoat given he is one of a few that is always working hard at the contest. He'll get beaten from time to time and he is not an elite left footer but more than compensates for some of the deficiencies we have in his area of expertise.

I'm not sure he's the scapegoat, I think he has value just not in our side anymore, I don't think we can carry all of Lewis Mitchell and Sewell together. If it came the choice that one had to go which I personally think is what has to happen, then Sewell would be the one I'd be letting go for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure he's the scapegoat, I think he has value just not in our side anymore, I don't think we can carry all of Lewis Mitchell and Sewell together.

This. Add Hodge into that, and it is just too slow. Sewell is the obvious omission, but we all know that none of them will ever get dropped. We will just wait for them to retire, meanwhile any chance of a flag goes begging.

I don't think we should sign him, not yet anyway. I would let the season play out and reassess.

He is a restricted free agent, meaning we can match any offer and keep him, and I can't believe another club would not take him if they don't need to trade anything. Surely in such circumstances the AFL informs you what the compensation will be? That may be the best value we get out of Sewell (end of 1st rd?).

I am often lost for words when I read the forums here, especially after a loss.

Sewell's biggest asset for the Hawks is his determination to get the ball. He has the strength to hold the ball up in the midfield, and he often forces a contest - which has been a big part of our gameplan in recent years, as without a fully formed defence, we're reliant on keeping the ball in the centre of the ground whilst we flood back.

You don't need to have a great overhead mark, or elite goal kicking skills to do that - Sewell provides something that we've cried out for. If you took him straight out of the team, you'd be surprised at how much you'd miss him - his tackling presence and contest for the footy is needed.

I would be terribly sad to see Sewell go, especially as I think he has more in him - but if there are other players knocking on the door and he wants significant recompense (and there are other teams offering above the odds for him), I could understand him leaving.

That's one twisted reason I,d like to see him as sub, just to listen for the " get Sewell on NOW" calls from the floggs

:confused: Sewell is the least versatile midfielder we have. There is only one position on the field he can play. As age catches up with him he is seemingly less able to play that one position.

^^
This

Possibly should've been traded last season to give us something good. Love Sewelly's work, he's been a great servant but he's surely playing his last season with the Hawks?

He should not be a priority re-signing. We cannot carry Sewell and Mitchell in the midfield together. So either Mitchell learns to play in the forward pocket for extended periods or one of them goes to box hill. Yes we will lose something from our midfield that we may not be able to replace (i.e. sewell's tackling) but we stand to gain a combination that will prove more successful than what we have now. If changes fail to deliver better results we can always go back to slow and short in the centre.

I don't think we should sign him, not yet anyway. I would let the season play out and reassess.

He is a restricted free agent, meaning we can match any offer and keep him, and I can't believe another club would not take him if they don't need to trade anything. Surely in such circumstances the AFL informs you what the compensation will be? That may be the best value we get out of Sewell (end of 1st rd?).

This. I think Sewell has been great at winning the hard ball this year (and in years gone by) but he is virtually ineffective (other than by hand) once he gets it. Love him to stay but fear we will be stagnating if we don't stock up on a few early picks in this draft.

This. I think Sewell has been great at winning the hard ball this year (and in years gone by) but he is virtually ineffective (other than by hand) once he gets it. Love him to stay but fear we will be stagnating if we don't stock up on a few early picks in this draft.

Surely if we had a few blokes that could take a contested mark, his inability to pin point Jarman-esque passes would be less of an issue.

He's still our best run-with player to negate inside mids.

lets just keep him because he tries really hard and has given his all for a number of years - so pretty much keep him in on reputation just like many others in our team.

^^^this is the exact reason why we are going backwards.

He needs to be traded end of story. His a good tackler and goes hard but is pretty much very poor at everything else. Im pretty sure we can find/develop someone else to do this and more.

lets just keep him because he tries really hard and has given his all for a number of years - so pretty much keep him in on reputation just like many others in our team.

He needs to be traded end of story. His a good tackler and goes hard but is pretty much very poor at everything else. Im pretty sure we can find/develop someone else to do this and more.

:thumbsu:

NICE1 says it how it is :thumbsu:

Reality is, he has little upside...if he wants overs, let him go, if not, then keep him for a couple of more years as a depth player and mentor...

If you think we are going to get something of return for him think again....that boat has passed. It should have been done 3 years ago. If we do choose to move him on he'll be going as a free agent, so we are in a hard place because we will get nothing return.....in saying that, it still doesn't change the fact that we can't play all of Sewell Mitchell and Lewis in the one team. Cue the Benny Hill music, this will continue untill the club realizes a major rebuild is on the cards in 2 years time, by the time we are ready to challenge for a flag Buddy and Roughy will be 29 to 31... and the musical chairs will start again.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawks keen to re-sign Sewell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back