List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies, the rules for NGA have changed and I assumed we could match under pick 40. Otherwise what is the point?
You have to separate the dual purposes of academies. The academy system as a development pathway for football skills and knowledge, preparation for the rigours of AFL etc is critical and why so many young kids can make an impact early. As a drafting mechanism it’s all over the place. One not perfect solution but better than the AFLs bullshit would be to vary the discount based on where the bid comes so you have to pay more the higher up the player is selected. Or radically - add a points premium on a similar sliding scale so you pay more than the pick - your advantage is the existing relationship and priority access. Not perfect but better than the arbitrary pick 40 nonsense but the AFL don’t care they just pull new rules off a raffle wheel and laugh in piles of cash that we all enable.

Brockman situation is disappointing but despite some posts around here, it has been pretty obviously headed that way for a while. We have no real bargaining power if he chooses West Coast but hopefully we can get something of value. The Liam Henry situation is a relevant watch if he chooses Freo.

Delist
Long
Greene
Morris
Jeka
Morrison
Lynch (retired)

Trade
Koschitzke
Brockman
Frost

Re-sign
Serong
Ryan
Wingard

You’re looking at around 7-8 changes.
Kosi might scrape in for a 1 year contract. The rest look gone.

Delist
Long
Greene
Morris
Jeka
Morrison
Lynch (retired)

Trade
Koschitzke
Brockman
Frost

Re-sign
Serong
Ryan
Wingard

You’re looking at around 7-8 changes.
Morrison contracted for next year. Trade if he is to leave.

Sam singled out Long’s significant improvement at Box Hill this year on 3AW when discussing improvement of the list which suggests to me he has him staying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've put a line thru him. He's not up to it. We've seen enough now.
I would agree but he’s really the only one we have who can play 30% ruck and the rest forward. The dual ruck experiment hasn’t worked so I really think this forward ruck combo is what Sam wants. Maybe that’s what he sees in Esava?

There is a role for Kosi to play in a better forward line structure, where he I think he can be a legitimate number 3 forward who pinch hits in the ruck. I don’t think it’s fair to judge him on games like today where he is being asked to do more than he can handle.

It just remains to be seen whether the club can hold a player like him and hope we can land a guy like Ben King soon

The only reason I could see us resigning Wingard is that if Sam thought we are good of making finals in 2025 and he thinks Chad will be an X factor to push us over the line.

From what I saw today we are still a long way from competing for finals, we need players who can put their noses to the wheelstone during the home and away season to eke out enough wins to scrape into the 8.

My personal take after watching a good chunk of the VFL/AFL games.

Ryan – sign for 1, trigger for another. Could be anything from A-grade to bust.
Jeka – delist. Talented but injury/attitude a problem.
Greene – delist. Fantastic VFL player, too many weaknesses at AFL level. Undersized KPF without elite leg-speed is an unfortunate combination.
Bramble – delist. Fast but lacks composure and defensive running.
Serong – sign for 1 or 2. Good VFL form, solid AFL games.
Morris – delist. Below average VFL performances and surpassed by Weddle, Seamus, BMac.
Brockman – likely traded.
O’Hara – Irish products take time. Sign unless we have another CatB.
Long – 50/50. Juggernaut mid at BH, played out of position at AFL. Does he have enough improvement?
Wingard – 50/50. Will be 31 by the time he returns. Previous injury concerns don't help his cause.
Koschitzke – 50/50. Decent games as third tall but hopeless as main tall. May be the last player signed depending on other acquisitions.

Has shown he can’t play as the number 1 forward. As soon as Lewis isn’t there he struggles.
It’s weird in a way as being our number one forward when Lewis is out he should theoretically have a lot more ball directed his way and have more output but he just can’t handle being the main man at all.

Very hard to judge the worth of a forward who can only play that one specific role (3rd forward / ruck combo).

Unfortunately I get the feeling for Kossy these last two weeks may have stamped his papers in Sams eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back