List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

We can't keep all 3 but losing all 3 would be shooting ourselves in the foot. That kind of experience is such a stabilising influence.

Prior to this year I would have thought Breust would be the guy to keep going, but with Lewis now out for an entire season and our small forward stocks not being so dire I think he'll be the one to move on. It's been a pretty sharp drop off for Punky unfortunately. I would keep Wingard though. When fit I still think he has something to offer particularly if we're looking to be pushing for finals next year, but it all depends on how he plays out the season.

Last edited:
If Gunston stays, he'll have to go on the rookie list, as it will now be difficult to make all the cuts necessary to add the necessary three at the draft.

We are currently TWO players over allotted on our primary/Cat A list (having taken Phillips and Scaife)

If we get Battle, and trade for Bailey Smith, it means we need SEVEN players off the primary/CatA list in order to add three at the draft (the fact that rookie elevations count as a 'draft pick' now may help us out. here though)

In the past, culling seven players was relatively achievable..it is far more difficult now with a young up-and-coming list. It doesn't bode well for a 33 year old Gunner

Of the three, Wingard is most likely to go on, I would think.

If Gunston stays, he'll have to go on the rookie list, as it will now be difficult to make all the cuts necessary to add the necessary three at the draft.

We are currently TWO players over allotted on our primary/Cat A list (having taken Phillips and Scaife)

If we get Battle, and trade for Bailey Smith, it means we need SEVEN players off the primary/CatA list in order to add three at the draft (the fact that rookie elevations count as a 'draft pick' now may help us out. here though)

In the past, culling seven players was relatively achievable..it is far more difficult now with a young up-and-coming list. It doesn't bode well for a 33 year old Gunner

Of the three, Wingard is most likely to go on, I would think.
Lewis being on the LTI list takes care of one of those spots, and I believe Phillips was just the one year.

It will be interesting to see what we do to take care of spots. At this stage I'd say these guys are gone, in some fashion or another:

Stephens (Delisted)
Morrison (Trade or Delisted)
Phillips (Delisted)
O'Sullivan (Delisted)
Tucker (Delisted)
Breust (Retired)

I can see us moving Sam Butler to the rookie list to free up a mandatory spot. It wasn't actually that difficult to pick players with all the names in front of me, honestly.

Lewis being on the LTI list takes care of one of those spots, and I believe Phillips was just the one year.

It will be interesting to see what we do to take care of spots. At this stage I'd say these guys are gone, in some fashion or another:

Stephens (Delisted)
Phillips (Delisted)
O'Sullivan (Delisted)
Tucker (Delisted)
Breust (Retired)

I can see us moving Sam Butler to the rookie list to free up a mandatory spot. It wasn't actually that difficult to pick players with all the names in front of me, honestly.

I could be wrong, but I see delisting Tucker as a huge mistake given the traditional improvement curve in rucks and how he’s come on over the last 18 months. But agree we need to find slots.

Wingard and Gunners to stay, IMO.

Stephens (Delisted)
Phillips (Delisted)
O'Sullivan (Delisted)
Tucker (Delisted)
Breust (Retired)

Agree with most of the above, but if it came to a choice between keeping Phillips or Gunston for one more year, Phillips stays every time.

Like Lewis, Blanck will also be an ACL comeback, and Sam Frost will be 32. We need the long term KPD stock more than we need to wring another year out of Gunner

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I see delisting Tucker as a huge mistake given the traditional improvement curve in rucks and how he’s come on over the last 18 months. But agree we need to find slots.

Wingard and Gunners to stay, IMO.
I've not really seen much in Tucker to get excited about. We've got Meek and Reeves as full time rucks, Ramma as a mostly full time ruck and Chol as a pinch hitter. Tucker feels like we're overcapitalising on the ruck spot tbh.
Agree with most of the above, but if it came to a choice between keeping Phillips or Gunston for one more year, Phillips stays every time.

Like Lewis, Blanck will also be an ACL comeback, and Sam Frost is 32
I get what you mean, but I look at Phillips as a guy that is holding a spot but never pushing for best 22. He's not making a difference - where Gunston does when he plays if only to provide spacing and leadership to the other forwards on the field. I would be just as comfortable with any other state level key defender as I am with Phillips on the list.

I think as well as the names mentioned, we will see at least a couple of players leave for more opportunities / longer contracts.

DGB might get a year from us, but what if someone else offered him 3 years?
Reeves might get offered a number 1 ruck role somewhere
HH??

There will be players we want to keep but others might want more & they will want more opportunity

I've not really seen much in Tucker to get excited about. We've got Meek and Reeves as full time rucks, Ramma as a mostly full time ruck and Chol as a pinch hitter. Tucker feels like we're overcapitalising on the ruck spot tbh.

I get what you mean, but I look at Phillips as a guy that is holding a spot but never pushing for best 22. He's not making a difference - where Gunston does when he plays if only to provide spacing and leadership to the other forwards on the field. I would be just as comfortable with any other state level key defender as I am with Phillips on the list.
Funnily enough, last Sunday was the first time I saw enough in Tucker to say that he deserves at least another year on the list.

I wrote this in the other thread (Gunners, Wingers, Breust) before it was deleted (but had not posted it yet)

It seems I'm thinking a little differently to most on this issue...

Seems the consensus is that Wingard is the most likely to stay but I think he would be the first of the three (if it were up to me) for whose time may be up. His ceiling is very high and what he has done for the club (off field) over the last couple of years has been huge but we have a surplus in his role and so far this season, he has been named in the bests at VFL level just once (in 7 games). Still a watch for the rest of the season but he is not exactly knocking the door down (yet).

Jack Gunston is a trickier prospect, especially with Lewis now going down. Three weeks ago, Gunston was averaging the 3rd most marks inside 50 in the league (behind only Waterman and Hogan). He'd also kicked 10 goals in 3 weeks and was very meaningfully adding to the team. However, he's also put up 3 games now of 2 disposals (or less) and 0 scores, where he has been a complete non-factor. In fact, half of his games has been 7 disposals or less with no goals. However, with Lewis going down and our lack of experience in the area, I think it really depends on whether his season finishes with more of the influential games or more of the complete non-factor games. Our next few weeks have some tough games - if Gunston is influential in these games then I think we should probably hang on to him for 1 more year (pending trades) and is not, then I think his time may be up.

Finally, on Breust - I might be a little biased but I think I'm thinking a little differently here too. He's been so good for so long, including last year. His first 2.5 games he was a little quiet but was revealed he was injured. Since he came back from injury in Round 10 as sub, he's actually had a big influence given the very limited game time he has had. He's often had 5-6 touches and a goal in less than a quarter of footy. Extrapolated over a whole game, that's the equivalent of 20+ touches and 4 goals a game (obviously this isn't how it works but you know what I mean). In fact, he's had 6 sub games in total (rnd 10-15), and played a total of 183% game time (basically 2 full games) and collected 32 disposals, kicked 6 goals and had 3 goal assists (making it an average of 16 disposals and 3 goals per full game). He did get a full game against Geelong on the weekend and was quiet but to be fair, so did basically everyone bar about 2-3 players and our inside 50's were extremely low (and poor quality). I still think the most likely scenario is that he is asked (or volunteers) to retire and perhaps I'm caught up in the romaniticism of him becoming the first rookie to play 300 games and to add to his goalkicking legacy, but I'd like to see him get a few full games before the end of the year to really test whether he is in fact cooked as I suspect he may still have the smarts to kick a few goals (now that his body is right) ala 2023 (and every year prior).

Gunner to the rookie list makes sense.

Can’t see Breust of Chad going on at this stage.

I’d reckon DGB is elsewhere and Sullivan delisted along with Stephens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunner to the rookie list makes sense.

Can’t see Breust of Chad going on at this stage.

I’d reckon DGB is elsewhere and Sullivan delisted along with Stephens.
DGB may go elsewhere but try as I might I still can't let go of the idea that he can be a guy who makes a difference. There's too much there, all just let down by the fact that he can undo 2 or 3 amazingly well saved goals with 2 or 3 terrible decisions. If the choice is between he and Phillips, I'd go DGB just because of the burst qualities he has that Phillips doesn't.

Funnily enough, last Sunday was the first time I saw enough in Tucker to say that he deserves at least another year on the list.
His game earlier in the year against Sydney before he went off with an ankle was just as good. He is the most improved on our list

As talented as Wingard is - there's no point keeping him if he cannot get his body right.

He will get a gig at a club where they are happy to let him play reduced number of games in exchange for that little something which might win a final.

For us sadly, we need to keep adding younger guys to our core group, which means for me, Wingard is the one to move on.

Gunston and Breust?

I think they will decide for themselves at seasons end - they deserve that much as least tbh - but I think we all know that they will not go on if they cannot get to the required level any more.

I'd like to know the full extent of their respective injuries.

Both have looked like they could go another season with ease - but then looked completely cooked in the next game.

They'll make the right call for themselves and Hawthorn at the right time.

Stephens , Tucker, Butler - delist

DGB - try for a trade, if not, delist

Morrison will have a few suitors I think. He's criminally under-rated at times on here.

Sadly, I think we will struggle to keep both of Ward or Hustwaite as they will get offers elsewhere you'd think - they just want to play AFL.

I'd lean towards giving Phillips another year - Sicily's shoulder and Blancks knee show we need coverage - unless we get someone as a trade.

I also think at least 1 player will be moved on as trade bait (outside of the ones above) which may surprise us all.

Tough case to make given Meek's form this year
Yep Meek has been great, but in terms of sheer numbers. Physically and in game it's hard to argue against young Tucker. He was coming from so far back. His fitness, strength, body shape, agility, marking and ruck prowess have come a long way. Meek may actually win it because of his effect on our AFL side but just from where I sit, Tucker now looks and plays like a footballer.

Yep Meek has been great, but in terms of sheer numbers. Physically and in game it's hard to argue against young Tucker. He was coming from so far back. His fitness, strength, body shape, agility, marking and ruck prowess have come a long way. Meek may actually win it because of his effect on our AFL side but just from where I sit, Tucker now looks and plays like a footballer.
Definitely. He could barely complete some of the running drills in preseason (his efforts to push through highlighted in one club video) so his baseline was so much lower compared to his teammates.

Assuming Nash + CJ sign (Meek is contracted for another year I believe):
  • Gunston: Keep on either senior or rookie list. Our KPF stocks are still young and need guidance, and he can be a valuable contributor.
  • Breust: Retire. One of the all-time greats but his body is struggling to play a full game.
  • Wingard: Late season opportunity will determine if he sticks around. A lot of competition for his position. Amicable parting may be best for both parties.
  • O’Sullivan: Rate him but too many injuries without exceptional VFL form. Likely delisted.
  • Stephens: Body isn't holding up.
  • DGB: Depends on other acquisitions but is well down the pecking order. Fresh start may be best for his career.
  • Phillips: Depends on other acquisitions. We are light on genuine full-backs, so I’d be keeping him.
  • Tucker: Shown great development but if list spots are tight, he may not make the cut. Will be a 3–4-year prospect.
  • Morrison: Fantastic role player and clubman. Would like to retain but could see him seeking regular opportunities elsewhere.

Last edited:
Definitely. He could barely complete some of the running drills in preseason (his efforts to push through highlighted in one club video) so his baseline was so much lower compared to his teammates.
The fact that he pushed through it and kept going was impressive. He still has a long way to go and may still be cut but i have sneaking suspicion he might survive another year

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back