List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that he pushed through it and kept going was impressive. He still has a long way to go and may still be cut but i have sneaking suspicion he might survive another year
I think 3 pure rucks on the list like we have is ideal while having a few ~2m players who can help out.

Two established rucks keeping each other honest for senior games on form and providing backup for injury/suspension.

Then a third “project” ruck who can hone their craft at the appropriate league level.

Ramma and Chol fine for giving a chop out but I think we’d like to avoid a situation where they need to ruck for a whole game.

I’m concerned we’ll lose Reeves to a club who will promise him their number 1 ruck spot. Which would leave us in a dire position if Meek goes out. For that reason I think Tucker is safe for at least another year.

Breust should be retiring.

I think we should be keeping Gunston around one more season. Whether that's as a rookie or not, who knows.

At this stage I'd prefer to keep Wingard and have him take over Breust's role in the side next season, especially if JOS and Bennett's aren't up to getting games.

Stephens will be delisted. Tucker is likely to go with him.

JOS, Phillips, DGB and Morrison are all at risk of being delisted or traded. I'd have said Butler was a risk of being delisted too, he's been a bust, but his injury may have bought him some extra time.

Not sure where Macdonald's future lies either. I wonder if teams would look at him and Hustwaite as potential trade targets, as both are behind several players.

I think 3 pure rucks on the list like we have is ideal while having a few ~2m players who can help out.

Two established rucks keeping each other honest for senior games on form and providing backup for injury/suspension.

Then a third “project” ruck who can hone their craft at the appropriate league level.

Ramma and Chol fine for giving a chop out but I think we’d like to avoid a situation where they need to ruck for a whole game.

I’m concerned we’ll lose Reeves to a club who will promise him their number 1 ruck spot. Which would leave us in a dire position if Meek goes out. For that reason I think Tucker is safe for at least another year.
I get what you mean but Ramsden has been a lot better this year (and at times last year) as the #1 ruck as opposed to a bit part player. I don't think it would be a concern if we needed to play Ramsden first ruck at AFL level.

We probably won't move on Tucker, I thought he was older than 20 so he deserves more of a chance, but with guys like him and Phillips I tend to look at it this way - If we need list spots and we can pick up some other 200cm bloke, or some other state league key defender, how much more are they offering in the short and near term to our improvement? Not much, both speculative and neither getting a run if things are going well.

Sometimes spots need to open up for more important moves.

I get what you mean but Ramsden has been a lot better this year (and at times last year) as the #1 ruck as opposed to a bit part player. I don't think it would be a concern if we needed to play Ramsden first ruck at AFL level.

We probably won't move on Tucker, I thought he was older than 20 so he deserves more of a chance, but with guys like him and Phillips I tend to look at it this way - If we need list spots and we can pick up some other 200cm bloke, or some other state league key defender, how much more are they offering in the short and near term to our improvement? Not much, both speculative and neither getting a run if things are going well.

Sometimes spots need to open up for more important moves.
My concern with Ramma as an AFL ruck is that the current ruck rules have created a ruck meta that favours the stronger more physical rucks over the rangy, athletic types.

Unless those rules change or he puts on more mass without losing his athletic weapons then I think his AFL future is as a forward with ruck cameos. Similar to Chol.

My concern with Ramma as an AFL ruck is that the current ruck rules have created a ruck meta that favours the stronger more physical rucks over the rangy, athletic types.

Unless those rules change or he puts on more mass without losing his athletic weapons then I think his AFL future is as a forward with ruck cameos. Similar to Chol.
The De Koning brothers and Luke Jackson disagree.

The De Koning brothers and Luke Jackson disagree.
That’s fine, but I’ll only be convinced if Ramma himself can do it himself at AFL level. Hopefully he can because then we can play Meek, Chol, Ramma and Dear in the same team.

I'd argue the complete opposite - the new ruck rules this year, basically hurt the pure tap ruckman, and has meant the best rucks this year are the ones with the best all-round game, having impact in ruck and around the ground.

SDK, TDK & Jackson are all prospering. Meek is also benefiting under the rules, as he outplays Reeves in terms of influence around the ground.

Ramma though is a forward first, ruck second. He rucked as main ruck in Box Hill a few times, as we had no one else (Clay and Reeves have been out a fair bit). He sees himself as a forward first - said in a podcast last year.

I'd argue the complete opposite - the new ruck rules this year, basically hurt the pure tap ruckman, and has meant the best rucks this year are the ones with the best all-round game, having impact in ruck and around the ground.

SDK, TDK & Jackson are all prospering. Meek is also benefiting under the rules, as he outplays Reeves in terms of influence around the ground.

Ramma though is a forward first, ruck second. He rucked as main ruck in Box Hill a few times, as we had no one else (Clay and Reeves have been out a fair bit). He sees himself as a forward first - said in a podcast last year.
I was referring specifically to the ruck contests themselves. The ability rucks now have to “protect their space with a straight arm” which is really being umpired as “whoever is strong enough to hold out the other ruck from contesting the ball”.

Around the ground work is important and should be a factor in selection, but we also need consistency in the ruck contest itself first and foremost. I’m not convinced Ramsden can provide that just yet. But his spot on the list isn’t in question anyway.

Jackson, TDK, English and now SDK are all athletic types that can play the position at a high level. They can hurt their opponents around the ground or resting forward. Ramsden has comparable athletic strengths.

All the great rucks can impact games around the ground - IMO that's the meta. Which is why Reeves was relegated to a backup role very quickly this season in favor of Meek.

Trade period is going to be interesting. Clubs will come knocking. Reckon Morrison is a good chance to go to North. He provides good level headed balance and would do very well in a young team like that. There are probably several potential delistings but I certainly would not be letting young blokes yet to come close to fulfilling their potential. Don't like seeing Ramsden's name out there because he shows good signs and his potential is very high. Same with a player like Hustwaite. Going to be interesting to see how the club manages this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Chad will get a gig elsewhere. He would be a perfect fit for Carlton.

Can also see Clarko having a go.
No one picked him up at the end of 2023 - and he hasn’t played AFL level footy since his Achilles rupture.

10 months after his operation he did his calf again and missed a month of VFL footy.

Would be a very risky proposition to give him a contract.

No one picked him up at the end of 2023 - and he hasn’t played AFL level footy since his Achilles rupture.

10 months after his operation he did his calf again and missed a month of VFL footy.

Would be a very risky proposition to give him a contract.
i thought Collingwood made him an offer

Not sure I agree with this. Had a couple of cracker games at BH where he mainly rucked. I see him as a utility who can cover the ground all day. I would not be inclined to sit him at FF waiting to get into the game.

Reeves really needs to get into a running program, only thing that is holding him back.
Adding overhead contested marking to his game would maximize the value of being one of the tallest players in the league and it would give us a good option when it has to be a long kick down the line.

I don't think we'll see much more improvement in his running. I think he's pretty much at his limit already.

Not sure I agree with this. Had a couple of cracker games at BH where he mainly rucked. I see him as a utility who can cover the ground all day. I would not be inclined to sit him at FF waiting to get into the game.

I think the opportunity is for Ramma to develop into a Luke Jackson type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding overhead contested marking to his game would maximize the value of being one of the tallest players in the league and it would give us a good option when it has to be a long kick down the line.

I don't think we'll see much more improvement in his running. I think he's pretty much at his limit already.
Would say the same re his marking. Though he takes the odd grab, he’s almost 26, and if he hasn’t developed that skill set by now it’s pretty late to start adding to his game.

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back