Autopsy Hawks lose to Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we played 10 teams who’ll be close to their finishing position now

Played 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 8. For 3 wins 4 losses
played 12. 16. 17. For 2 wins 1 loss

Not played too many in the middle 6 which is our altitude probably

9. 7. 15. 11. In the next month. Will go a way to determine our ladder Glass half full

What is cyril upto now?

STALKER ALERT

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

haha... yeah i know.

It was quite impressive how the crowd of Hawks supporters left him alone. I didn't see one person approach him. But there were players everywhere around us.

But Cyril stalked me... at half time i was walking and had to stop to wait for people to clear the way and i looked behind my right shoulder and there he was... centermeters away behind me. I got so shocked to see him that i changed direction and he also changed his direction too..... i had to change my direction a third time out of embarrasment. Maybe not stalking me, but a hard tag.

haha... yeah i know.

It was quite impressive how the crowd of Hawks supporters left him alone. I didn't see one person approach him. But there were players everywhere around us.

But Cyril stalked me... at half time i was walking and had to stop to wait for people to clear the way and i looked behind my right shoulder and there he was... centermeters away behind me. I got so shocked to see him that i changed direction and he also changed his direction too..... i had to change my direction a third time out of embarrasment. Maybe not stalking me, but a hard tag.

Cyril Hilly and Jed were Regulars at Box Hill crowd especially when stokesey etc were playing. Very friendly and believe it or not the only time I talked to that many indigenous guys. Hilly was an obvious joker.

Dear Lord Mud.

You may well be right, but put the blame on half arsed attempts to rule change the game to being “better” rather than coaching

Except the interchanges mr KB. That happened before 2000 you can’t honestly say that rule took 18 years to ruin the game - anyway interchanges were capped for two seasons now surely there’d be a measurable improvement however slight?

Yes the interchange rule was introduced before 2000.

It took a while for coaches to adapt (or abuse) the new ball game.

It has been an increment thing. Possibly the first coach to use the rule effectively was Terry Wallace introducing the flood with the Western Bulldogs or whatever they were called then. Gradually other coaches followed suite.

The next big change was the forward press probably started with Lee Mathews at Brisbane. Now all coaches use that

Then Sydney began the rolling maul and won 2 Premierships with it.

Gradually, all coaches adopted the forward press and some attempted to imitate Sydney's game.

All of the above has now developed into crowd the opposition's forward 50 and to have the numbers to cause congestion at stoppages. Along the way Clarkson introduced the Zone.

These developments required constant running and movement of the entire team. At just about any stage of the modern game a blanket can be thrown over 30 players and that mass is constantly moving with the ball.

Players can only adjust to the above changes by having elite endurance but no footballer can play 100 minutes at that pace. They need to have regular rests and this is what the interchange rule provides.

Having those regular rests has allowed coaches to employ the game plans as described. If each player was required to play out the full game without those rests then there is no way coaches can have their players running up and down, backwards and forwards and wrestling at stoppages. The players would simply be not up to it.

So, deleting the interchange means that coaches would have to completely change their game plans and a different type of player would be required.

Players would need strength as well as speed and endurance and more skill. They would have to do a hell of a lot more than run. Skill would be paramount, one on one contests would occur more often where strength would be essential and guess what folks Aerial dominance would return to the game. A player who can take contested marks would be more important to the team than a players running ability.

Just imagine, we might see a team with a half dozen Dangerfields and better still half a dozen Harts, Knights or any of the great marks from the pre interchange rule era. No, that won't happen but we would see more skilled players and the congestion that is a blight and a curse on the modern game would be gone simply because it would not be humanly possible to run for 100 minutes without off fields rests..

It is very difficult to explain what I am on about. A picture is worth a thousand words. Spend several days watching videos of pre interchange games.

Incidentally, Umpires applying the rule in black and white and not the grey area that the AFL masters have given them would be a big help.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/posts/55962741/

I was one of those saying we weren’t that good when we were 5-2 and I think our last 3 weeks of footy shows that to be true. I wasn’t complaining about the footy we were playing though, more so worried that there was a train of thought out there that we were in contention for the flag this year and that was reflected in our selection. We are a middle of the road side and missing a few important cogs to put us in contention again. With that being the case, I couldn’t understand the selection of the likes of Langford, Whitecross and Duryea. If we’re not going to win it, we might as well fill those spots with guys who may develop into something that will help us win it in the future.

I didn’t complain about the Brisbane loss and I thought we did well to stay close to WCE.

I can only assume you are in sales though for you to spin the last month of footy as anything other than ordinary. We beat a heartless Essendon, lost to a very ordinary Sydney without Buddy and got smashed by Brisbane. I actually think Sunday is our best performance of the last month.

And to reiterate, it is ok that our last month was ordinary because that is where we are at. But please, put the spin away and call a spade a spade.
You might be the most tedious poster on this board.

Please, elaborate.
I have already provided the context to my posts, as they were a counter to those who were suggesting we are a bottom 4 side, but instead you decide to suggest that I am a salesman putting out spin. So ****in tedious.

I'll say it again. Remove the Lions game and we are about where we are.

We are a 6-12 side, playing some average football, but the sky isn't falling.

So you're saying that you're not senselessly negative by comparing us to Melbourne, St Kilda and Carton in the last decade.

I'll name the promising kids: Burton, Hardwick, Howe, Morrison, Worpel, Cousins, Lovell, Lewis, Glass, Nash, Hanrahan

Then there's O'Meara, Mitchell, Impey, Sicily, Pittonet and O'Rourke who are all barely more than kids.

If you disagree that any of these players show promise, it means you haven't been watching Box Hill.

Unfortunately there is a big gap in the standard of footy between Hawthorn and Box Hill. Also there are many names who we expected good thinks from, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Lowden, Grimley, Dowler, Hallahan, Litherland were some who we thought would become regulars, and didn't, so I am wary of the new batch of names until they show they can make it at AFL level.

In my opinion, Sicily, Hardwick, Howe, Morrison, Glass and Burton have shown this, and I hope Lewis, Nash, and a few others can before the season is over.

Last edited:
Yes the interchange rule was introduced before 2000.

It took a while for coaches to adapt (or abuse) the new ball game.

It has been an increment thing. Possibly the first coach to use the rule effectively was Terry Wallace introducing the flood with the Western Bulldogs or whatever they were called then. Gradually other coaches followed suite.

The next big change was the forward press probably started with Lee Mathews at Brisbane. Now all coaches use that

Then Sydney began the rolling maul and won 2 Premierships with it.

Gradually, all coaches adopted the forward press and some attempted to imitate Sydney's game.

All of the above has now developed into crowd the opposition's forward 50 and to have the numbers to cause congestion at stoppages. Along the way Clarkson introduced the Zone.

These developments required constant running and movement of the entire team. At just about any stage of the modern game a blanket can be thrown over 30 players and that mass is constantly moving with the ball.

Players can only adjust to the above changes by having elite endurance but no footballer can play 100 minutes at that pace. They need to have regular rests and this is what the interchange rule provides.

Having those regular rests has allowed coaches to employ the game plans as described. If each player was required to play out the full game without those rests then there is no way coaches can have their players running up and down, backwards and forwards and wrestling at stoppages. The players would simply be not up to it.

So, deleting the interchange means that coaches would have to completely change their game plans and a different type of player would be required.

Players would need strength as well as speed and endurance and more skill. They would have to do a hell of a lot more than run. Skill would be paramount, one on one contests would occur more often where strength would be essential and guess what folks Aerial dominance would return to the game. A player who can take contested marks would be more important to the team than a players running ability.

Just imagine, we might see a team with a half dozen Dangerfields and better still half a dozen Harts, Knights or any of the great marks from the pre interchange rule era. No, that won't happen but we would see more skilled players and the congestion that is a blight and a curse on the modern game would be gone simply because it would not be humanly possible to run for 100 minutes without off fields rests..

It is very difficult to explain what I am on about. A picture is worth a thousand words. Spend several days watching videos of pre interchange games.

Incidentally, Umpires applying the rule in black and white and not the grey area that the AFL masters have given them would be a big help.

Wow KB it is you. Ever got toothpaste back in a tube?

So it’s not the:
*Nominate a ruck rule which allows congestion to assemble, and removes the third man up which cleared congestion
*changes in prior opportunity interpretation which allows the ball to be locked in
*lax handball interpretations which allow all sorts of disposal

Or any of the other disasters eg quick kick ins perpetrated recently. It’s ALL the increased interchange rule in 2000

Even though interchange numbers peaked in 2010 is which had some very good footy according to saints cats and pies fans

Even though interchange numbers have been capped for two seasons now?

Unfortunately there is a big gap in the standard of footy between Hawthorn and Box Hill. Also there are many names who we expected good thinks from, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Lowden, Grimley, Dowler, Hallahan, Litherland were some who we thought would become regulars, and didn't, so I am wary of the new batch of names until they show they can make it at AFL level.

In my opinion, Hardwick, Howe, Morrison, Glass and Burton have shown this, and I hope Lewis, Nash, and a few others can before the season is over.

Howe? I like him but insert Sicily there. And

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was the thing that gave me the shits no end, with such dangerous forwards we persisted with the robotic lateral crap.

Even then, do it but mix it up with direct kicks. We may be trying to tempt teams to leave space at the back but they are holding in the back 50.

Also occasionally at Etihad have running shots from 50+ out dead in front. It’s highish percentage and is a flood buster

haha... yeah i know.

Are you kurt tippett?

Haven't read the thread so as to not cloud my thoughts. I came out of the stadium yesterday disappointed but not angry. The effort was there from the vast majority. There is still vast areas of improvement - but I couldn't be angry. West Coast deserved to win - their ability to not let us get the ball forward in the final quarter was immense. However - for most of that game we matched it with the current form side in the competition. The Mitchell high tackle in the 4th was a really cruel oversight - it hurt our momentum but we still weren't the better side so I can live with it (you're a ******* idiot though Razor).

I thought Impey was excellent in that first half - he was all over the ground. That first goal he kicked came off the back of him applying pressure on about 3 Eagles players in our defensive 50. 20-30 seconds later he's providing an option and kicking a goal. This kid is still raw despite playing a handy number of games - I think he's going to develop into an absolute game-breaking player for us.

O'Meara has turned into a beast for us - he is taking the old Jordan Lewis role and is an enforcer. I can see why our midfield became a turnstile last week - because without he and Howe we had no negating midfielders outside of Shiels. O'Meara is obviously still gaining confidence in his body and I think the flashier elements of his game will come in time - but for the moment he asserts himself well - he had some fantastic bumps yesterday. If we can get another good-very good midfielder then Mitchell and O'Meara will form a very scary trio with them. Would love to think Gaff was auditioning for us yesterday.

Stratton is the reason why anyone who quotes supercoach scores at you is talking out of their arse. So many games this year I have seen him holding our defence together yet he generally gets one of the lowest scores in our team. Those scores don't mean a thing - would not shock me if Strats was top 10 in our B&F count right now. If he can get his old mate Birchall back then our defence is almost sorted outside a gorilla defender to allow Frawley to take the second best forward. Replace Mirra with Birchall yesterday and it is a very different game.

Hardwick is close to my favourite Hawks player at the moment. Nobody deserves the 15 more than he does in our current crop of young players. For a smaller bloke he hits HARD. Crazy to think he is 21 and has only played 30 games. Imagine how good this bloke will be when he hits the 100 game mark.

It's easy to be gloomy at the moment because we aren't in the 8 and we have some deficiencies on the list that just can't be fixed by those currently listed. However - we are not a top 4 side (that is evident now despite our flourish early in the season). This is the price of making 4 straight grand finals with a side that was smack bang in its premiership window. However - if you can't be just a little bit chuffed with the developing nucleus of Hardwick, Sicily, Mitchell, O'Meara, Impey, Burton (who improved yesterday) and Morrison (who I am as bullish on as Clarko) - all of whom are under under 25 - well then there is no pleasing you.

Yup, tough times lay ahead. Frustrating losses and ugly wins will probably outnumber the absolutely crushing victories we were used to. The rebuild is still taking place in front of us and I am going to look for the positives and hope to hell we can pick up some vital pieces in the next 2 off-seasons to put a giant crowbar into that premiership window again.
Ned, have to respectfully disagree with you on Strats. I reckon he’s currently Top 5 in the B&F. Cracking season to date.

Last edited:
What three goals? I can only recall one.

He had one kick, zero tackles, 1 mark. Be fair tige19, you continually go all in on whipping boys like O'brien or Frawley.

The kid isn't ready. Simple. Not his fault.
I saw him with handballs that were directly involved in chains leading to goals. One was a lovely pickup from his toes. He was involved in 3 or more goals.

Ama
You peanut.. I love Jags, doesn't mean I still don't want him to become the jet he should. I think there's a good 20% left of improvement, 20 touches and 3 goals is a good game no doubt, but I'd love for him to impact the middle of the ground more and earlier on. You're a deadset goose.
Amazing game considering you had him next to dead and buried after he missed the Brissie game. Have you owned that troll yet?

I was almost applauding Willy. Those Rioli lads are a joy to watch - just not so much when they are making your side look silly.

What i especially love about Willy Rioli is that he celebrates every single goal that his team kicks.. like no other player i have seen.

His first few games he couldn't get on the scoreboard himself, and after that he was kicking singles, but he was always the first player hugging and smiling at his WCE teammates who were kicking plenty.

He has so much love he even gave Ray a tap.

That and he is a Hawks supporter.

Ama

Amazing game considering you had him next to dead and buried after he missed the Brissie game. Have you owned that troll yet?

Unless you read all my posts don't bother quoting me with rubbish... Owning a troll? I already said that I am pessimistic when it comes to Jags health and in particular the BUPA report, so if owning up to it before the fact is trolling then you my friend need to reassess what you consider a troll is. Unlike many of the posters on this forum, and not particularly the Hawthorn board, I am one to always put my hand when wrong. If you had any idea about my posting would know this, got it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks lose to Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back