Autopsy Hawks lose to Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Really poor! Don’t buy into this matching it with the best side rhetoric. We HAD to win , they don’t have their backs against the wall, we did! Clarko gave us hope talking about Top 4 but we’re nowhere near it. Wce should have won by more but I thought our defense was quite good but forwards and mids??? A Mess!
It's not rhetoric it's FACT! The Eagles had to win as well, they need finish top two so that they don't have to play finals in Vic. These defeats are painful but f#$k I'm sick of all the negative crap that gets posted on here after a close loss when the comp is so tight.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thought we played well against the best team in the comp. No shame in losing there. We competed hard.

Cegler was a bit rusty but I think adds enough to the team to stay in.

Despite what the commentary team has to say, Mitchell was very good along with Shiels in the middle.

O'Meara overcame a slowish start and was very damaging on the score board and ran hard.

Impy was fantastic especially in the first half.

Burgoyne was silk.

Hardwick played amazingly well. Was tough and as usual, won a lot of 1v1s.

Frawley was very good. Showed why he is valued in the team by killing a lot of long high balls that came in. Sure his disposal is sometimes average, but his ability to compete in the air against large forwards is better then anyone else on our list.

Sicily was very good despite a few awkward moments. Still one of our best.

Overall I thought it was a very even game. West coast got over the line in the end with there class. We should be pretty happy with ours teams effort against the top team.

Go Hawks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Without reflecting in this game in this post, it’s just so disappointing to be sitting 5-5 now after we were 5 minutes of footy away from 6-2 v the Swans just a few weeks ago with a winless side to come.

What could have been......

2-4 over the last 6 weeks and we have beaten a rock bottom St Kilda and Essendon.

3 min left on the clock, needing 3 goals, and we move the ball backwards 3 times to try and go forwards.

It's not the style of football that wins games any more. Everyone runs forward in waves and kicks it long to players remaining in position. Sure, you get turnovers, but you open the game up too. All this chip chip posession stuff does now is allow the other team to flood back. Hence, we end up with a long kick into a crowded fifty. Opposition coaches would love that.

It's not rhetoric it's FACT! The Eagles had to win as well, they need finish top two so that they don't have to play finals in Vic. These defeats are painful but f#$k I'm sick of all the negative crap that gets posted on here after a close loss when the comp is so tight.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Get over it! Tackling and giving a good effort is non-negotiable. Eagles weren’t on their day, they had players down and played their worst game for the year, that happens when it’s just another win!! We are awful atm.

Really? He took 2 marks and he and B.B. took 4 between them. Even O’Brien averages more than that. Plus he offered zero at ground level. Much prefer to see Schoe back in the team.

First game back. Kicked a goal. Competed way better than TOB. His performance has to be viewed through the lens of who we were playing. West Coast have +190cm tall marking players spread across the entire ground. 7-14 contested marks was actually a good split. Im just really happy with the endeavour and our structure (specifically in the back half). There is something to work with moving forward. We are fortunate that we pinched some early games this season and are 5-5 after 10rds which most of us would have taken. We have to spend the rest of the season getting the right team balance and a game plan that allows us to compete at the highest level. Today was a step in the right direction. If we can sneak into the finals its a bonus but not the be-all and end-all. A part of me wouldn't mind going into this draft with some nice picks but whatever happens there happens.

Thought we played well against the best team in the comp. No shame in losing there. We competed hard.

Cegler was a bit rusty but I think adds enough to the team to stay in.

Despite what the commentary team has to say, Mitchell was very good along with Shiels in the middle.

O'Meara overcame a slowish start and was very damaging on the score board and ran hard.

Impy was fantastic especially in the first half.

Burgoyne was silk.

Hardwick played amazingly well. Was tough and as usual, won a lot of 1v1s.

Frawley was very good. Showed why he is valued in the team by killing a lot of long high balls that came in. Sure his disposal is sometimes average, but his ability to compete in the air against large forwards is better then anyone else on our list.

Sicily was very good despite a few awkward moments. Still one of our best.

Overall I thought it was a very even game. West coast got over the line in the end with there class. We should be pretty happy with ours teams effort against the top team.

Go Hawks.

So, with so many stars on the day, we won??

Get over it! Tackling and giving a good effort is non-negotiable. Eagles weren’t on their day, they had players down and played their worst game for the year, that happens when it’s just another win!! We are awful atm.

People who applaud the effort despite losing are simply defeatist.. I can't stand it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

geez

Honestly, We're a middle of the road team. We faced up against the best team in the league and lost by 15

The eagles are a good team and have mad plenty of opponents looks ordinary. Our decision making going forward was average.

Defense i thought was great, Hardwick and Lewis good. Wirra is a battler. Stratton great

Our "Second tier" ha a great game, Impey/O'Meara/Hardwick/Stratton great

We can't play two ruckman. An extra runner would of made it closer. Roughy needs to ruck

We got outplayed today by a better team.

Something might have to give with how we generate our scoring. I get the theory, that contested marking is too hard for key forwards in the modern game so you kick to a contest, halve it and then have your smalls hit the drop with pace. It's been our philosophy for some time and was/is the Richmond model. But we seem to have to work so much harder for our goals than other teams do. And it's not like we can overwhelm teams with sheer weight of entries like we used to (worked against Geelong, I guess).

A lot of our defenders had pretty good individual games. We were let down by guys that have been some of our better performers this year. Smith, Breust, Sicily have all had claims on being the best in the comp at what they do this year. Today they were either a non-factor or made poor decisions (Smith's disposal, Sicily's lack of restraint/team play).

And I think this team is crying out for another elite centre square player more than a key forward.

The obsession with going lateral and backwards from defence is horrendous, does absolutely nothing besides allow west coast to set up defensively.

Forward line is shot

Everytime the ball goes inside our forward 50 back out it comes again in a flash.

I don’t think the midfield is the main issue here as they keep getting in there but without any scoreboard pressure.

Roughead looks cooked unfortunately, Gunston is being used out of position and needs to be played as a center half forward. Why he isn’t playing as a key forward I’ll never know. If this is how the club is going to use him they may as well trade him at the end of the year.

When your key forwards stocks in the reserves are Schoenmakers, O’Brien, Lewis and Nash you know your in deep s***.

The obsession with going lateral and backwards from defence is horrendous, does absolutely nothing besides allow west coast to set up defensively.

Forward line is shot
Kick it forward it just gets zoned off and comes back with interest. The eagles want you to kick it forward quickly brah.

Had a crack and were competitive against a real decent side, just lacked the dare and polish to win.

Forward line is basically non threatening at the minute. No doubt our ball movement isn’t helping , at times it’s stilted and almost too safe. Fair few guys lacking confidence in there kicking skills

Your not winning too many games kicking 1 goal in the last quarter, Eagles really stifled is and had the game on there terms
When we needed to pull the trigger we couldn’t

Hopefully this is the start of coming out of a flat patch or we have a long 2nd half of season ahead

Generally a better effort this week. The first 3 quarters the real difference was some really head scratching decision making and poor execution under little to no pressure. Things like Mirra's missed tackle. Smith absolutely butchering the ball going forward all day (often taking the wrong option as well). Sicily had 2 aerial efforts in quick succession where he spoilt our own man then failed to impact the contest as 3rd man up leading to a goal.

The most frustrating part of the game for mine was our last quarter. When we were down 3-4 goals we absolutely refused to take the game on. We played like a team of robots too scared to make a mistake and we put the eagles defense under zero pressure until it was too late.

Couple of poor choices from the coaching panel. Gaff was left to run around on his own the entire day. Perhaps there most damaging player rarely had a man go anywhere near him. I would have though a hard tag was in order. Really hard to work out the thought process there. The opposition week in, week out put a hard tag on our most important player. The other being the selection of two ruckmen and Mitch Lewis. They really didn't provide us with any contested marking or help us lock the ball in our 50. It also left us a midfield rotation down with Cousins out of the side and you could really tell our midfield was struggling to run the game out.

Still some positives. Frawley looked a lot better this week. O'meara played his best game in a while, Hardwick was great apart from one poor intercept mark attempt. Rough was good. Ceglar made it through the games.

I see on the AFL website Smith is listed as being our best player. I must have been watching another game because although he busted a gut and got plenty of the ball, it was probably the worst game by foot I've ever seen from him. Butchered the ball going forward all day plus gave them their first goal of the game with a terrible kick.

So, with so many stars on the day, we won??

I listed several players who played well. West coast also had players who played well (or better). West coast were definitely better and should be with where they are at. We are currently restructuring our team and developing players. To be as competitive as we were is great. A big step up from last week. We didn't win which of course would have been great but to be disappointed in finishing so close to the top team is a bit pessimistic.

A lot of knee jerk reactions on this board? Maybe spoiled by our rescent success?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks lose to Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back