Autopsy Hawks lose to Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

No future with Mirra? Has to go back and captain box hill, there's a reason he has been overlooked for 10 years.

Thought mitch Lewis looks a very likely type, like his leading patterns and ability to be clean with the footy.

Jags a decent return, still want to see him get it more. I'm hoping this comes.

Chip was decent, Sic decent, Cegs a nice return and will get better.

Overall we're probably a 10-12 team and that's where we sit

3 points between Bruest, Gunston & Roughead told the story. Can't win games when your forwards don't kick goals.

Gunston has carried our forward line last 2 weeks so a 'downer' can be excused.... Breust is our leading goal kicker this season... Many won't like it but Rough again finds ways to make himself scarce when the game is there to be won..

Lewis play?

Dumb selection for mine. Desperately needed to win this to keep in contact with top 8. There is no way you can expect Lewis to provide more than Shoey or even TOB at this stage of his career. Clarko has clearly given up on finals IMO which is the only way you can make sense of team selections for the last 2 weeks.

Wasn't able to watch, but from the stats sheet, it seems like Burton is indeed finding some form again. Looking forward to seeing Cyril and Birchall back in the team after the bye.

Losing another game where we matched our opponent for inside 50s is frustrating. Hopefully Cyril will help fix that.

Generally a better effort this week. The first 3 quarters the real difference was some really head scratching decision making and poor execution under little to no pressure. Things like Mirra's missed tackle. Smith absolutely butchering the ball going forward all day (often taking the wrong option as well). Sicily had 2 aerial efforts in quick succession where he spoilt our own man then failed to impact the contest as 3rd man up leading to a goal.

The most frustrating part of the game for mine was our last quarter. When we were down 3-4 goals we absolutely refused to take the game on. We played like a team of robots too scared to make a mistake and we put the eagles defense under zero pressure until it was too late.

Couple of poor choices from the coaching panel. Gaff was left to run around on his own the entire day. Perhaps there most damaging player rarely had a man go anywhere near him. I would have though a hard tag was in order. Really hard to work out the thought process there. The opposition week in, week out put a hard tag on our most important player. The other being the selection of two ruckmen and Mitch Lewis. They really didn't provide us with any contested marking or help us lock the ball in our 50. It also left us a midfield rotation down with Cousins out of the side and you could really tell our midfield was struggling to run the game out.

Still some positives. Frawley looked a lot better this week. O'meara played his best game in a while, Hardwick was great apart from one poor intercept mark attempt. Rough was good. Ceglar made it through the games.

I see on the AFL website Smith is listed as being our best player. I must have been watching another game because although he busted a gut and got plenty of the ball, it was probably the worst game by foot I've ever seen from him. Butchered the ball going forward all day plus gave them their first goal of the game with a terrible kick.
Ceglar , Lewis terrible big forwards need review

Was there for the taking, but in the last quarter, when Hawthorn needed to score, the coaching directive was either play tempo football, which saw them lose by 10 goals to a winlees side, or flood the backline and leave no one forward of the ball, so when they got a chance to run it up there and put WCE under pressure, they had no one to go to and have to revert to tempo footy and go for the high bomb.

It's poor coaching.

What was working for the first 3 quarters was more likely to win them the game. Tempo footy won't. How many more more times does it need to fail before the coaches have enough evidence to give it the lemon and sars?

The effort was there so that was good.

We had a couple of the usual scapegoats actually play better games, like Duryea and Frawley, yet we were still somewhat dysfunctional across the ground.

Impey was fantastic today. What a spark his gives us.

You can see that we are just a couple of players short of having the group to really challenge the top line sides(a mid and a key forward who can mark up the line). Even getting Birch and Cyril back into the side would give us more dynamic ball movement.

Thought we payed into their hands far too often today, straight down the line, but at other times we telegraphed the switch and we’re too slow with our movement.

Overall, not a terribly disappointing day as we were beaten by a better and more polished team.

I think Clarkson would’ve got a bit out of today’s game.

They have only beaten the Bulldogs who are rubbish. Carlton, say no more and us and we are poor, so they haven’t been that impressive
I didn't say they were unbeatable here, but they are 3-0. These are games that they would have dropped in the past. They are top of the ladder and have only lost one game for the year. Losing to them is far from embarrassing

That was ok. We got licky pregame with Cousins out as Ceglar is faster. Compared 2 last week we played the bottom team with the worlds slowest hawthorn team and got pantsed this week we played the top team and were never out of it. Chuck in Howe perhaps we win.

The biggest concern is Clarko hes strange comments after the Swans, a game we would have won if the Impey hit which was accidental which allowed them to rest have shown some bizarre selections since.

After the game he walked past. He looked shot. He needs 2 work out where he is at. In or out. Because the only place worse 4 both him and the club is if he doesn't know.

I'll be honest i was pro him getting the job over Wallace., Ayres and Eade. And im pro him staying now, but if he doesn't know anymore then he needs 2 bite the bullet.

So if we aren’t bombing it long we will keep kicking it backwards to maintain posession rather than attacking a win from behind.
I’m a little lost as to what the hawks are supposed to stand for at the moment...???
To me there is a loss of identity & direction & there isn’t anyone prepared to take a game on for fear of the wrong result.

No name dropping this week but... ahh yep

#confused

On a positive note..
Hardwick is becoming my favourite player by far!
The kid is a flat out goer & never hesitates. Loves the contest & shows serious pride across all aspects of his game.

On Hardwick.
I'm with you. Starting to get that man crush.
You can easily see why he was handed the number 15.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see Mitchell handballing more like he was earlier in the season, his kicking is only so so. maybe other players are not spreading enough for him to do this.
I thought it was a good effort by the team. Cannot understand the canning. We are a work in progress and the side is still not settled.

Just got back from the game. Bit of a 'meh' feeling.

As other posters have mentioned, the last quarter was difficult to watch. We just refused to be daring and take the game on. We refused to come down the middle. Even some of our best kicks refused to hit the inside pass that was there if you were brave.

Some observations:
  • I couldn't fault the endeavour or effort of the group. But sadly, this is now were we sit. Honourable loses against a top 4 side down on their best.
  • Our forward line is not functioning, yet our game plan seems to be hit it in long and deep. Lewis, Gunston, Bruest and Puopolo would have been just about our worst today.
  • Lewis isn't ready.
  • I'm not sure two rucks is the way forward. Ceglar and Lewis combined for 3 marks and 12 touches today.
  • Frawley was very good today. But, he will probably somehow still cop it by people creating a narrative.
  • Our backline was actually very good today.
  • Impey was just about best on ground at half-time. Gee he works himself into the ground, both ways!
  • Burton was trying his backside off today. Hopefully he has turned the corner.
  • Mitchell was pretty scrappy if honest today. I don't think he has had his best month of footy.

Dumb selection for mine. Desperately needed to win this to keep in contact with top 8. There is no way you can expect Lewis to provide more than Shoey or even TOB at this stage of his career. Clarko has clearly given up on finals IMO which is the only way you can make sense of team selections for the last 2 weeks.

Wasn't able to watch, but from the stats sheet, it seems like Burton is indeed finding some form again. Looking forward to seeing Cyril and Birchall back in the team after the bye.

Losing another game where we matched our opponent for inside 50s is frustrating. Hopefully Cyril will help fix that.
Dumb post without watching the game. Lewis was good.

Why would we play Breust up the ground? He's 4th in the Coleman and played midfield all day. We ferken kicked 3 goals in the last half.

You can forget Rough as a forward now - I reckon he pulls the pin soon.

Didn't mind the 2 ruck option - at least we could compete in the air. We bomb it down the line that many times, that we must have height down there.

No tag on Gaff was ferken frightening. Another 3 votes to him and a 0 to his contract.

Season's cooked for mine. The minute we got Ronked it was over. I'm eyeing off a top 5 pick. Would do us a world of good.

And yet Lewis did provide far more than Shoey or O'Brien.

Maybe watch the game not just read the stats.

Lewis was instrumental in stopping McGovern and he had a direct hand in about 5 goals and a few more that others didn't finish off.

Pegged this as a close loss and a big improvement on last week and there you have it

Good signs: Jaegar and Impey

Bad signs: Forwards not kicking goals

If you're looking for positives, you would have to like the way Lewis bodied McGovern, and stopped him from taking his usual number of marks. Missed Cyril at their feet.
I'd add Burton and Morrison to Jaeger and Impey, and Hardwick is a future captain of the club. Love him!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks lose to Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back