Autopsy Hawks v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s the start of a new journey for us. We don’t have all the pieces to complete our puzzle, and more work to do. But I am very happy with where we are at.
I'm super excited about the possibilities that will open up to us in the trade period. I can't help feeling that we're not far away from saluting again. (Following Hawthorn does that to a guy!)

On another note, I was fascinated to see both sides setting up at virtually all centre bounces with an eight man back line and a four man forward line. Two of the loose players ran into the square to help with the clearance. Haven't looked at the stats, but I think we would have won clearances today.

Great win. Rapt with the kids.

Roughy very ordinary, really struggling. Needs to turn it around if we are going to go forward this season.

Schoey has a lot of positives and a few negatives.
When played foward his positives outway his negatives and he can be a great addition to the team.
When played back he absolutely goes to water, his skills are wasted and he becomes an extreme liability.
If you look at his heat map he spent a fair time down back today
I think mainly roaming the wings Gunstall style
100% back in the last
60% F 40% B over the whole game

How good was clutch Burgoyne in the last quarter. When the game was in the balance Clarkson throws him into the midfield and he turns the game around.
An All Time Great and a Hawthorn Legend. Whilst Hodge showed he's the number 1 leader on field, it's Silk who consistently has the skill set to go another year, I'd love them both to go around again but probably only one of them will.

Just ventured over to the Pies board to see if there was Bucks melting etc... one of their "fans" had Howe in the best 5 on ground.. which I agreed with, but then I realised that it was a pies best 5 and he wasn't talking about Daniel :eek::eek::eek:

I thought Jeremy was awful today, one of his big flies for a mark ended in a Duryea goal... and his kick out to Tommy Mitchell when the game was in the balance was pure filth... a 40m chip straight down the middle of the ground was going to end in a contest at best!!

If you look at his heat map he spent a fair time down back today
I think mainly roaming the wings Gunstall style
100% back in the last
60% F 40% B over the whole game
All players go foward and back in the modern game.
Its him being played as a defender that I was talking about. Its just when trying to contain a leading foward or spoil in a marking contest he has a real deer in the headlights look about him.
Love him on the wing kicking penetrating bombs into our fowardline.

Duryea was top shelf today. Played a defensive role and did Puopolo things like taps, body whacks and competing for everything.

Can a coach please tell Sicily that at this level, with his height, he isn't going to mark it from behind. Go the ******* spoil and kill the contest.
He (Sicily) has one of the best sets of hands on this team but yeah, spoiling isn't yet in his DNA because his hands are so good and playing forward there are rarely immediate repercussions of not sticking a mark. He's been down back a few weeks and looked confident, good signs.

Mitchell and Burton are so good it physically hurts me. I have a nose bleed.

Howe dominating his star opponent yet again. And Sicily is for some reason a very good decision maker as a defender though he can be kinda dumb in his natural position. Probably because his great field kicking isn't really as on display in the forward line. Duryea was a key player in this win make no mistake, did the defensive forward thing better than Poppy has lately tbh though Puopolo has probably been carrying something.

My man Schoe, have always backed him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge pat on the back to Clarko, a couple of moves over the last few weeks have been pure genius. Howe has had his best two games for the club running with Sloane and Pendles, which has freed up Shiels. Persisting with Sicily down back has taken some courage, also has been really good the last few weeks and also Playing Duyera up forward to stop Howe's influence was completely out of left field. Not a bad coach I reckon.
He aint no Coach Of The Year... :rolleyes:o_O

Great win. Rapt with the kids.

Roughy very ordinary, really struggling. Needs to turn it around if we are going to go forward this season.
Silver lining....a whole heap of our senior players have been a shadow of their former selves and yet the youngsters seem to be relishing the chance to pick the side up and carry it forward.

Hoping Rough can get some form though, because he's struggled at different times this year.

Silver lining....a whole heap of our senior players have been a shadow of their former selves and yet the youngsters seem to be relishing the chance to pick the side up and carry it forward.

Hoping Rough can get some form though, because he's struggled at different times this year.

I think Roughs condition was hit pretty hard with the cancer treatment, so getting another pre-season into him will help him in his latter years of his career

i'm just happy he is playing as well as he is

Watching Burton continually hit 30+ metre bullets that land on the **** of team mates is very arousing. The kid is a genuine gun already. Seriously talented.

Today I watched Roughy play one if the most awful games in his career. He was a liability with concrete hands and bed springs in his palms and then he kicks the sealer.

I now understand why Tommy Mitchell wears shorts that are a size too large. He has balls the size of boulders.

It was also nice of Breust to turn up this week after taking a week off.

I can see a back six in a few years being

Hardwick Brand Duryea

Sicily Heatherly Burton

...and I see them being unstoppable

Clarkson is building this team from the back knowing that Gunston, O'Brien, Breust - even Junior and Roughy will be around in the forward line.

People keep doubting this team and this coach - even fans do. There's no question we are on the right path and those you who bitch and moan when we lose games will be the first ones high giving each other when we win another flag in a few years time

I love this post.

Can you imagine next year how good Smith, Breust, Gunston, Rioli, Shiels and Puopolo are going to be? This year they would have thought with no Sam Mitchell and no Lewis that they are going to have to carry this team - and losing Lake the year before and Hill's dash they would have felt that this team isn't going anywhere - Now we are showing that we have capable replacements across the board and a couple of elite youngsters they might be jolted to play like their old selves again without the pressure of expectation.

We also start to look like a destination club again for free agents wanting a shot a glory - ****ing good times ahead

Was a mark. Just not paid unfortunately which directly resulted in a Pies goal. Was a bad miss by the umpires. Even the commentators were left scratching their head.
Thanks, I couldn't understand why it wasn't paid watching from the stands, assumed that it was called touched off the boot. Was a costly missed call at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back