Autopsy Hawks v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

She does follow the Hawks actually but because I'm always in here or watching footy she thought I might might make a little effort to help with organizing my birthday. I told her from day dot I don't want to celebrate turning 40 years old FFS!!
And she is not the shopping type so I have to find another excuse....
I must say in all honesty I couldn't live without her so I gues I must be a new age sensitive guy unfortunately or fortunately for her.... Wink wink
[/quote]
Shit mate, take a leaf from clarko and punch a wall:D

P.S. Don't wish to dampen the mood, however Murphy cannot continue in this team. Will be replaced quickly.

Jesus. Elaborate.

Ignore me cause I'm a Murphy fan (Which simply means I don't blame carbon tax and the plague on him) but ask every other neutral, Murphy wasn't in the best but he wasn't our worst either. Was good defensively and played well as a forward on Maxwell.

Always one.

Well, spent the day at the pub with the boys, including a couple of Pies fans. We all agreed that we were seriously good today. Just loved our intensity at the contest, and our commitment to the little things. Smothers, tackles, spoils, all in the last qtr when the game was well and truly over showed we were on.

Just loved the way we played today. So many good players today. Just rapt

Jesus. Elaborate.

Ignore me cause I'm a Murphy fan (Which simply means I don't blame carbon tax and the plague on him) but ask every other neutral, Murphy wasn't in the best but he wasn't our worst either. Was good defensively and played well as a forward on Maxwell.

Always one.

He wasn't great and would have to be the first one dropped to make way for Buddy/Goo etc. He didn't do a lot, and made some poor errors. The beauty is, we are able to drop him to bring in better players legitimately. Thing is, you don;t have to play that bad to be on the chopping block. Good signs for the club

He wasn't great and would have to be the first one dropped to make way for Buddy/Goo etc. He didn't do a lot, and made some poor errors. The beauty is, we are able to drop him to bring in better players legitimately. Thing is, you don;t have to play that bad to be on the chopping block. Good signs for the club

I don't argue he should be one of the players that should be dropped, he is on the fringes of the team.

He was far from terrible today, not great sure but not terrible and not deserving of Kolokotronis' slight.

In spite or infact despite all the shit that maxwell cops, he along with Harry ******** and Heater are super important as rebounders that set up their entire attack - we aren't that far removed.

That Murphy won his position set us on the path, and although the change from pure stopper to defensive playmaker wasn't seamless, it was hardly a disaster - particularly for his first time - a big win for the team.

I don't think that Murph will make our ultimate best 22 at this stage, but I will keep on giving him chances based on his performances rather than a view I formed about him years ago.

He gets better, we get better.

In spite or infact despite all the shit that maxwell cops, he along with Harry ******** and Heater are super important as rebounders that set up their entire attack - we aren't that far removed.

That Murphy won his position set us on the path, and although the change from pure stopper to defensive playmaker wasn't seamless, it was hardly a disaster - particularly for his first time - a big win for the team.

I don't think that Murph will make our ultimate best 22 at this stage, but I will keep on giving him chances based on his performances rather than a view I formed about him years ago.

He gets better, we get better.

Hey, I agree, he played pretty well and did his job and for that you can;t complain. My point was simply, he'll struggle to hold his spot in a few weeks time when we have our full side. I love the fact that he played pretty well yet wil struggle to hold his spot, purely from the point we have some really good depth right now

I'm rapt for Breust, who played possibly his best game for the club. Gunston too was immense in the first half when the game was on the line - three goals, and three goal assists as a forward makes for a fine afternoon. I felt a week or so ago that Franklin's absence from the forward line would be the thing to spur Gunston on, and so far he's taken his chances with aplomb.

Lewis across half-forward was an absolute masterstroke. He's Hawthorn's answer to Jimmy Bartel and for Lewis to kick five goals with consummate ease, plus give Heath Shaw a football lesson is a brilliant outcome for Hawthorn. Lewis is underrated outside Hawthorn, but if he continues that form over the course of the season he'll fast become noticed by the general football public.

Schoenmakers was awesome on Cloke. Never gave Cloke an inch and has the physical tools to go with the biggest forwards in the competition now. His growth as a player over the course of the season has been remarkable.

The old firm of Mitchell and Sewell in the middle, roving to some immaculate ruckwork from Hale and Roughead, set up things beautifully for Hawthorn. Both Mitchell and Sewell started the season slowly but they're both in peak form now and so much rides on their shoulders now for Hawthorn. Mitchell could well have a role to play in the home of the 2012 Brownlow medal.

Anyone else see Mitchell grab the whole playing group right after the siren, my guess he was telling them that we have bigger fish to fry and not get complacent.

Was very impressed with all the players and there interviews, even after this big win I think all the players were looking to next week.

Sunny day and flogging a team of pretenders, does it get any better?

Stunning game from Hale. Best tap work I have seen from him ever. On todays form Bails wont get back in. Amazing

Schoe looked so much stronger in the contest. Cloke is out of form but Schoe had a blinder and played his best game for the club.

One thing is for sure though, no matter how great this win was today our biggest test will come in two weeks when we play the Cats...
That is a must win game that we simply can not end another season without a home and away win against them..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't watched the game yet, downloading as I am typing. What I find difficult to understand is that their three top mids all got over 140 DT points while our three were all around 100. Looks like I should be watching for something for something, like defensive handballs to someone covered or clanger kicks.
Or something else?
I think in the modern era the dependence on raw stats to analyse can sometimes be a misnomer as in todays game Collingwood were only 12 dream team points behind the hawks yet were thrashed. Cyrils' game today was exceptional yet he only had 19 disposals and scored 89 Dt points but he is a pressure and tackling machine. Robert Murphy from the Dogs on AFL 360 mentioned him as one player that when you have the ball you really fear like a yellow flash that comes from nowhere. Even if he gets 10 disposals a game his influence is great and he always does something with it.

F#@@# I'm spewing. God dam Wife got upset coz i wanted to watch the replay and she wanted me to worry about my birthday party that is still 4 weeks away..:mad:

Oh well like the old saying goes, You cant live with them, but you cant live without them....;)

Replay is on at midnight on 7Mate.

One thing is for sure though, no matter how great this win was today our biggest test will come in two weeks when we play the Cats...
That is a must win game that we simply can not end another season without a home and away win against them..

The cats have really messed with you haven't they Mac - all roads seem to lead back to the cats and I fear normality in your life will not return until the hawks beat them

You know to see that performance today was a real privelege. That 3rd quarter was the best football i have seen Hawthorn play since 3rd and 4th quarter of the round 6 clash against Geelong in 1989. The team work, execution and desperation in and around the ball today was something else. We played great football against a good oppponent who especially in that 2nd qtr were throwing everything at us. Every Hawthorn player and coaching staff involved with this game are to be congratulated. Great effort and couldn't be more proud of my club. Still the season is still live we didn't win the grand final I look forward next week to a sequel. I will be there and bear witness :thumbsu:

They are nowhere near the force they where - but a few blokes like Chappy and Scarlo could use a bit of a send off, along with their 'pact'.

Quick few thoughts.

Thought Gunston played by far his best game for the club. Drifted out of the game in the second half but he gave us a really good target forward and stood up. He's really relishing not having Franklin in the forward line and getting the ball fed to him more. The hope for mine is that when Buddy returns, we still look to hit up Gunny because he is a damn good kick and contests the ball well. Could create some large headaches for opposition sides when we have Roughy, Franky and Gunny all lined up in the forward line.

Our small forwards (Rioli, Puopolo, Breust) were all fantastic, all of these guys are playing really solid football and the pressure they provide in our forward 50 is immense. Rioli did some really nice things, set up a number of goals and worked his ass off to put pressure on the opposition. Breust was dangerous forward and Puopolo also provided heaps of pressure.

Defence was great today, looked as though everyone knew their role and set up fast and effectively. Schoenmakers had a great game and smashed Cloke. Whilst Cloke is out of form and no where near his best Schoenmakers got himself in good position and was able to effect almost all the contests. Gibson was the general in defense and we look so much better when he is directing the play and helping to set us up offensively. Birchall was his usual self, did a heap of nice things and ran hard all day. Stratton is really finding more and more confidence each week and his spoiling work is first rate. Suckers was good and Cheney was also solid for us in defense. All in all I was very pleased with how many times we were able to kill the ball coming in.

Lewis was best on for mine, closely followed by Mitchell. How good was Lewis? He has really added more to his game each year and his body work and ability to not only limit Shaw's effectiveness, but to also slot 5 goals and then get thrown into the middle to relieve another midfielder was great. Whitecross, Shiels, Sewelly and Hale were all very good. Murphy played his role well also.

All in all it was a really solid game for us with everyone contributing. Our last quarter could have been better but the cue was put in the rack I felt and we went into preservation mode a bit with a 6 day break before fronting up to the scum. Hopefully we can play the way we did today next week and smash those scum.

Which is my point. He's upset that a player did an undisciplined thing, and he responds by being just as undisciplined. Just not sure how a coach can look a player in the eye and tick him off for making mistakes when they do these things. Anyway, enough said about that. Very pleased with the win.

I can just imagine the late great Yabbie Jeans saying, "we got the 4 points".

The only statistic that coaches are judged on is win/loss and premierships. Mistakes like the one where he punched the wall could cost games then all the clarko bashers will want him sacked, whereas with players(unless you wear a vertically striped brown and gold jumper with number 25 on it and your name starts with an S) most mistakes are forgiven and/or forgotten.

You know to see that performance today was a real privelege. That 3rd quarter was the best football i have seen Hawthorn play since 3rd and 4th quarter of the round 6 clash against Geelong in 1989. The team work, execution and desperation in and around the ball today was something else. We played great football against a good oppponent who especially in that 2nd qtr were throwing everything at us. Every Hawthorn player and coaching staff involved with this game are to be congratulated. Great effort and couldn't be more proud of my club. Still the season is still live we didn't win the grand final I look forward next week to a sequel. I will be there and bear witness :thumbsu:

Although I wasn't thinking that game, I thought a similar thing. It is as good as I have seen the Hawks play since the 80's. In 2008 they got over the line based on a few massive individual efforts. This year, like those glory years, you have a dozen players that are as good as each other.

What I found most impressive about today's win was the fact that nothing seemed to rattle them. I think a few weeks ago, the turn over goals and unlucky bounce stuff would have thrown them right off. Today, it was like water off a ducks back, they just got back on track and never really looked like losing. That resolve has not been there in big games. I am still a bit wary of the Jekyll and Hyde factor, but may be they are finally sorting that out. Finally flogging Geelong will be massive with respect to saying goodbye to Mr Hyde.

Gunston too was immense in the first half when the game was on the line - three goals, and three goal assists as a forward makes for a fine afternoon. .
This was my big one for the day - 19 years old, our coaches surely knew how hard to go and get this guy who clearly is a matchwinner , doing the job when it needed to be done - unlike a Cloke who kicked his first when the game was over.

Mistakes like the one where he punched the wall could cost games then all the clarko bashers will want him sacked, whereas with players(unless you wear a vertically striped brown and gold jumper with number 25 on it and your name starts with an S) most mistakes are forgiven and/or forgotten.

I am really suprised that the nannies at the AFL havent come out with some sort of reprimand about it..... I guess there is still time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back