Autopsy Hawks v Shockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Our injuries this year have been a blessing in disguise.

Gibson, Stratton and Frawley were stinking up the joint before they got injured. Burton, Hardwick, Sicily and Brand have been terrific.

Gibbo may get a farewell game but he will finish up at seasons end. I think there is still a spot for Birchall which will allow Burton to move up ground. But Frawley and Stratton? I'd explore their trade value, especially Frawley's.

Gibson is definitely on the way out, however I can't agree with your statement on Frawley and especially Stratton. That's just lunacy. Frawley was brought in to deliver a premiership in 2015 and he did so. He has been very solid.

Stratton is one of the most courageous and smart players when the ball is on the deck, and can mark. Look at his taps to advantage.

"Think there is still a spot for birchall"... lol... yeah may be able to squeeze him in loll. A four time premiership hero who always makes us look better... "yeah squeeze him in" loll

Our injuries helped fast track players no doubt, however the outs didn't make us a better team. We beat collingwood and Gold Coast (second time around), with the players mentioned in the side. We would be well and truly in the 8 looking to push for a top four berth based on this season's results.

Think before posting.

KOLOKOTRONIS

We're playing eight defenders now as we know the young blokes need support. Works well as a way of protecting our defence, not so well when we force the turnover then have to chip it around the halfback line for half an hour till someone manages to run forward.

Clarko has done a magnificent job of adapting our game plan to cover our deficiencies, which accounts for the turnaround in our fortunes this year, but make no mistake- we're a mid-table team at the moment.

There's also little doubt we'd be a better side with most of our starting backline back in the team (not to mention Cyril & Poppy), as we'd be able to adapt our structure again to be more attacking.

I reckon we're a good chance of threatening again next year if we have a better run with injuries, but I think we'd look a hell of a lot better with Frawley and Stratts back. Would allow us to play Gunston & Sicily forward and both of them can take a mark occasionally- Sicily especially.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
But whose places would Stratts and Chips be taking? Sicily and Gunners are killing it down back and Hardwick is doing nothing wrong.

Poppy as well has been bog average all year and even (dare I say it) Cyril was not exactly setting the world on fire before he got injured.

What will cost us a finals spot this year was Clarko's loyalty to the old guard, ever since we changed to the kids (by necessity due to injury) we have played some great attacking footy.

Sicily is one loose unit but boy has he found himself at senior level.

Is currently playing at an elite level for his position.

I'd love to hear from anyone who might know if he is well liked or not off the field.
Absolutely elite atm I reckon. Have wondered the same thing what he's like off field, but in interviews I've noticed he's alway very charming and sweet. Quite bizarre, actually.

4 players I'm looking for next week:

Langford - Pressured poorly against the Freo half back line, gave away a number of frees. He cannot afford another set shot miss from 20 metres.
Schoey - Had some great kicks, made good decisions, but we need more from him in the air.
Timmy O - Is injured, still managed the two goals and a nice run-down tackle, but we were missing a target when the game was hot. More consistency needed.

St Kilda might finish below us the way things are going, and with their draw.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
if this happens i swear to god im gonna hire some Botswanian person to make fake accounts and spam the sh1t out of the saints board
whos in ??

hahahahahahah

But whose places would Stratts and Chips be taking? Sicily and Gunners are killing it down back and Hardwick is doing nothing wrong.

Poppy as well has been bog average all year and even (dare I say it) Cyril was not exactly setting the world on fire before he got injured.

What will cost us a finals spot this year was Clarko's loyalty to the old guard, ever since we changed to the kids (by necessity due to injury) we have played some great attacking footy.

Poppy and rioli make us a better team irrespective of their early season form. We were gaining momentum when we copped injuries.

The only two players scheduled to depart this year were Hodge and Gibson.

Our injuries have ensured the development of players however they also contributed to our ladder position. Just because our young brigade are looking great doesn't mean we are better side without poppy, rioli, frawley, birchall and Stratton. These guys are multiple premiership players who were needed this season.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Hi all
Didn't see any of the game but just had a read through the game day thread
Freo play scrappy footy
We won by lots
Seriously
Lighten the **** up guys and gals
Was a horrible game with very poor discipline. We are no chance the next two weeks if we play like that. Back at the G though, anything could happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardwick had his best game for the club tonight, not only did he play that lock down role perfectly he also got up the ground and was involved in alot of forward pushes.

Sicily keeps getting better in that defensive role, he's becoming a mini Lake but with a pinch of Birchall, just arches his back and takes on the opposition players, doesn't always work out but he causes players to panic now, wins in the air and the ground.

4 players I'm looking for next week:

Langford - Pressured poorly against the Freo half back line, gave away a number of frees. He cannot afford another set shot miss from 20 metres.
Schoey - Had some great kicks, made good decisions, but we need more from him in the air.
Timmy O - Is injured, still managed the two goals and a nice run-down tackle, but we were missing a target when the game was hot. More consistency needed.
Really like Schoenmakers back in the side. Has been part of the reason for our reversal of form and has cemented himself in our best 22 i reckon.

Was a horrible game with very poor discipline. We are no chance the next two weeks if we play like that. Back at the G though, anything could happen.
It seems that a lot of posters call games horrible if the side so much as makes one mistake
Most games v freo aren't great spectacles
But lets not forget it's still a great win

It seems that a lot of posters call games horrible if the side so much as makes one mistake
It was a fantastic win. But prob should've been by 80 points. #hawthornproblems

Last edited:
Okay, I don't mean to be rude, but you have already said you didn't actually watch the game.

I'm very happy to get the win.

Loved whitey back in the side. Blue collar worker, such a good role model for the kids. I wonder if that contributes to being at BH most of the time. A few massive gut runs to put team mates into betting positions. Love the bloke!

Dominant win.

Gunston was king, is he perhaps being groomed for the Hodge role next year and beyond?

Need a young defender who is an elite intercept mark? Done. Sicily just grabbed that position and punched it in the face. I don't care that he seems a bit of a dick, you need players full of the proverbial. He was enormous tonight.

Howe is relishing the tagger position, he is as effective as Shiels was, plus he is a goal kicker. Hardwick has been a huge find, 23 touches at 87% tonight. McEvoy, Mitchell, and Henderson all continued with their career form. Glass is a cherry, he didn't have that lost look that int rookies can often get, with some skillful polishing, we might end up with a wee ginger gem here.

Clarkson is a genius. Incredible transformation.

I still like B Hill a lot. Hawks miss his run. He was a big part of our success. Class! He earned the right to head to Fremantle for a chance to play with his brother & be near his family. I don't begrudge him that for a second.
Tonight, we saw the deep feelings he has for his other family. I'm sure a part of him wishes he was still with the Hawks - maybe as much as most of us wish the same thing. He will always be a part of the Hawks family!
The tears show the type of man he is. I almost cried with him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Shockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back