Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he is mate. The chatter was loud and clear last year.
I just hope we pay no more than another late pick because this guy may not have many games in him.
I think we would look to pay what we need to keep GWS from matching on Cogs.

If Coniglio leaves there is no way GWS trade Whitfield. That just can't happen.

We need to land Coniglio now and try for Whitfield this time next season.
If we get Coniglio then that’s why I reckon we won’t chase Hill. Save the $$$ for him in 2020.

I don't know of one but I also don't know how a guy who is still recovering from his 3rd knee reconstruction can be considered as solution to our forward problems.

How many big guys have had 3 knees and gone on to have lengthy careers?

Menzel is still kicking along after 4 and is by no means a midget. Fact is there are likely to be no other key forwards of Patton’s caliber around so in the absence of an alternative and being that he will likely come cheap - I hope we’re all in.

Love his loyalty but they have a minimum 5 year rebuild. They are basically starting from scratch as of last years draft.
You don't have to convince me.

Menzel is still kicking along after 4 and is by no means a midget. Fact is there are likely to be no other key forwards of Patton’s caliber around so in the absence of an alternative and being that he will likely come cheap - I hope we’re all in.
I view Patton as a stop gap solution until we can find our next KPF. Getting in another A grader like Coniglio would be helping that happen in the 2020 offseason. Curiously asking does anyone know of any good KPF that will be free agents in 2020? How attractive would it be to that said free agent to be on the end of a midfield of Mitchell, O’Meara, Coniglio and Worpel. Step 1 get Coniglio and the step 2 will be easy peasy IMO.

I view Patton as a stop gap solution until we can find our next KPF. Getting in another A grader like Coniglio would be helping that happen in the 2020 offseason. Curiously asking does anyone know of any good KPF that will be free agents in 2020? How attractive would it be to that said free agent to be on the end of a midfield of Mitchell, O’Meara, Coniglio and Worpel. Step 1 get Coniglio and the step 2 will be easy peasy IMO.

Jeremy Cameron and Ben Brown.

You may be missing the fact that we have fu** all key forward depth at present.

No doubt. But I think we should all wait and see how he comes back before thinking he solves that issue.

History is just not on his side on this one. Worth it, absolutely, but I would hold off popping the champagne just yet.

Last edited:
But I also said he is frustrated at lack of “engagement” from the GC about an extension and the reason for wanting to stay was family based.
He must be frustrated at where their at as a club. Hard to see him playing finals for the rest of his career if stays. Did his family shift to the Gold Coast? Originally from SA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He must be frustrated at where their at as a club. Hard to see him playing finals for the rest of his career if stays. Did his family shift to the Gold Coast? Originally from SA.

Apparently he has a young family, I am not sure what happened with the extended family. The Qld Lifestyle goes ok for some !!!!!

In the same comment about Day I also said he has been on our radar since he was a junior and we have made at least two attempts to interrupt him re-signing. To date we have not been successful.

I don't get the excitement about Patton. He has had 3 knees right?
So what am I missing?
Probably a bit underrated around these parts. He's a talented player, not just a big ox. Yes he's had the knees and has been inconsistent but has the ability to tear a game apart if he can find the right ecosystem to play in. Thats my opinion.

The guy has played 89 games in almost 8 seasons because of injury.
And I think we have a budding key forward already and that our problems are not key forwards, it's the rest of the forward line.

And this guy can't be our answer if he doesn't play.
This might be completely naive, but I get the impression that Bennell's injury history would be directly linked to his damaging off field behaviour. When you're not preparing well, and your substance abusing and doing all that sh*t and then trying to play an elite endurance sport, it's going to fail.

Probably a bit underrated around these parts. He's a talented player, not just a big ox. Yes he's had the knees and has been inconsistent but has the ability to tear a game apart if he can find the right ecosystem to play in. Thats my opinion.
I know it was a while back but I remember we played GWS in Tassie (maybe 2017?) and we had them on toast until Patton stood up and kicked 5 or 6 goals. Game ended in a draw, Will Langford kicked a dribble kick behind that bounced over Heath Shaw on the siren to level the scores..
Every time they went forward in that game Patton looked really dangerous both on the lead and contested- he looked like he could be the best key forward in the game if things were going right.. it was at that point I hoped the hawks would one day be able to recruit him..
Obviously a lot has changed since then with the injuries but I reckon if he could get back anywhere close to that form it would be a massive steal..
By all reports he has dropped weight and hopefully got the knees right to the point he can get some footy in before the end of the season..
Think this is a no brainer given our lack of genuine key forwards on the list and Roughy retirement coming at the end of the season...low risk- could be very high reward..

Last edited:
Either Bennell's body isn't up to it anymore or his 3 years off calf injuries is a cover up for him going off the rails, either way at almost 27 there's no guarantee he'll even be any good anymore on the off chance his body and off field behaviour hold up. Talent is massively overrated and it's not something you just turn on like a tap.

Sources close to me have confirmed that Chris Judd is working hard on Coniglio

Judd has said that Carlton is the best option for a superstar player - they pay well, will get good media and be adored by the fans & the best part is there's no pressure to be actually successful.

I am assuming this should be in orange font, but I'm not quite sure. Very well played if it should be!

I know he is mate. The chatter was loud and clear last year.
I just hope we pay no more than another late pick because this guy may not have many games in him.

For mine, Patton is a free hit. Scully is so far ahead of where we thought he may ever get to that we are waaaaayyy ahead on the "cheap trade for injured player" ledger. If Patton can get to playing well enough to be in our bottom 5-10 players I'll be bloody happy.

But I also said he is frustrated at lack of “engagement” from the GC about an extension and the reason for wanting to stay was family based.
You'd think that wanting to re-sign would be one of the trigger clauses that would results in a new contract and a pay rise at GCS.

Dayyyyyy!? Does he even get a game at GCS?
His name is Sam Day in case you don’t know who he is or don’t watch Gold Coast games. Who would right now! Kicked 2 goals on the weekend. Pretty quiet but the ball hardly came down there. Spent a little time in the ruck also. Had that horrific hip injury early last year I think and is working his way back to full fitness. High draft pick who can play anywhere on the field. Serious talent.

This might be completely naive, but I get the impression that Bennell's injury history would be directly linked to his damaging off field behaviour. When you're not preparing well, and your substance abusing and doing all that sh*t and then trying to play an elite endurance sport, it's going to fail.
I doubt his dodgy calf has anything to do with his off field shinatigans. Ben Cousins amongst many others played great footy in association with substance abuse. In all seriousness if he does get another chance (highly unlikely) he would be only 1 more strike away from being shown the door from AFL for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back