List Mgmt. Hawthorn 2018 Trade discussion NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

For the price of Wingard, I’d be wanting him to be spending considerable minutes in the midfield.
Small forwards shouldn’t cost this much
Small fwds win u premierships.

Anyone who doubts how good a wingard pickup would be obviously hasn't watched enough port vs hawthorn games. When he gets the ball in his hands you just think.. crap.. this isn't good. You hate him for it, but oh my god... i'd love to have him playing for the hawks.. ever since 2014.. he is a wizard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the price of Wingard, I’d be wanting him to be spending considerable minutes in the midfield.
Small forwards shouldn’t cost this much
Wingard (if he comes to us) should spend no more minutes in the midfield than Poppy or Breust. Wingard is a brilliant small forward, a good change up mid, and a crappy defensive mid. Put Patrick Cripps next to Wingard... no thanks.
If we get Wingard he must predominantly be a small forward.

Last edited:
300 games vs. 46 games and 21. Big difference.
There are few untouchables and almost all are dependant on their career positions.

My Definition of Untouchables: those players who are so loved by the fans that it would wreck Hawthorn’s fan base if they were forcibly traded before their best footy was behind them and if there was not a soft landing for them.
For mine the only untouchable in the modern era were Sam Mitchell (pre 2016: he got a good deal and is now back in the fold), Hodge (pre-2016: got a good deal at Brisbane), Buddy (before he asked for massive money from the Hawks and chased a girl), Roughy before his ping and then after his return, and Cyril (he is, and will always be, untouchable).
Did I miss anyone?

The untouchables is mostly a myth spread by BigFooty, other fan based web sites, and the media.
I say change “the untouchables” to the “most needed” and that becomes a relavent statement.

Burton is one of our “most needed” players. But he is not, in any way, an untouchable.

We have high hopes for him and I think, with an expanded role, he could burst out in 2019 and become a top 50 player.

Being Untouchable is a mob concept. Very occasionally it becomes real. Most times it is a myth.

Last edited:
There are few untouchables and almost all are dependant on their career positions.

My Definition of Untouchables: those players who are so loved by the fans that it would wreck Hawthorn’s fan base if they were forcibly traded before their best footy was behind them and if there was not a soft landing for them.
For mine the only untouchable in the modern era were Sam Mitchell (pre 2016: he got a good deal and is now back in the fold), Hodge (pre-2016: got a good deal at Brisbane), Buddy (before he asked for massive money from the Hawks and chased a girl) and Cyril (he is, and will always be, untouchable).
Did I miss anyone?

The untouchables is mostly a myth spread by BigFooty, other fan based web sites, and the media.
I say change “the untouchables” to the “most needed” and that becomes a fair statement.

Burton is one of our “most needed” players. But he is not, in any way, an untouchable.

We have high hopes for him and I think, with an expanded role, he could burst out in 2019 and become a top 50 player.

Being Untouchable is a mob concept. Very occasionally it becomes real. Most times it is a myth.
I don’t think for one second that Burton is untouchable. But players who are young , almost a Rising Star winner and at 21 May feel that he has a long career ahead of them at the one club before things can change. I’m not against Burton being traded, earlier I stated that keeping future 1st is imperative for the club moving frwd . I was merely taking your comments about it been a ‘reasonably ‘ good position for him to take a better offer as something that you may have not thought out better.
Thus, I was making those posts, counter arguments if you like.

If Birch was fit , Ryan may have found himself at Box Hill for a few weeks.
He is a classy mover, but extremely soft and his chasing is awful. He had a few good moments towards the end of the season but he is expendable.

Pick 15+ Burton is still slightly overs so I hope we get something else back like a third at least.

Master Samurai: all good. You gave me a chance to vent my spleen on the “untouchables” concept.
I had actually wrote most of my tirade long before you posted.
I enjoy reading your posts and like your point of view, even when I disagree with it.

I, and others, have put a few Hypothical trades in the Hypotheticals thread that satisfy us gaining Wingard, Scully and Scrimshaw while keeping Burton, one idea even keeps our 1st pick in 2019: but we would have to give a lot to get a lot.. but fair enough.

Last edited:
I don’t think for one second that Burton is untouchable. But players who are young , almost a Rising Star winner and at 21 May feel that he has a long career ahead of them at the one club before things can change. I’m not against Burton being traded, earlier I stated that keeping future 1st is imperative for the club moving frwd . I was merely taking your comments about it been a ‘reasonably ‘ good position for him to take a better offer as something that you may have not thought out better.
Thus, I was making those posts, counter arguments if you like.

If Birch was fit , Ryan may have found himself at Box Hill for a few weeks.
He is a classy mover, but extremely soft and his chasing is awful. He had a few good moments towards the end of the season but he is expendable.

Pick 15+ Burton is still slightly overs so I hope we get something else back like a third at least.
As to Birch: he is an unknown. How long has his injury kept him out? How long will it take for him to be physically fit and then match fit? At his best he is a scary big guy who, when he gets a head of steam up, runs hard, breaking tackles, and delivers the ball with precision and more importantly accuracy.
Let us hope we see that in 2019

ZyYOBWZ.jpg
Stats look good. Must catch him on his off days. Really impressed with his burst of speed and ability to get the pill, but seen him turn it over enough to make me think he hasn't lived up to the hype of the marquee player he signed up to be. Regardless, i have blind faith in whoever Clarko and Wright decide we need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back