Hanrahan - ?? (was he extended??)
Brand - ????
Whitecross - ???

Nash, Brand and Hanrahan were signed when Gunston was announced

Schoenmakers - stays, squad player
Howe - likely stays
Pittonet - likely stays
Miles - might be gone, seems clarko told him to look elsewhere
Henderson - likely 1 year contract, unless they want to stagger retirements?
Whitecross - unknown, might stay for leadership, might go?
Lovell - might be gone, has been disappointing in his 3 years
Frawley, Morrison, Lewis - should all be signed to new deals?

Yep agreed.

Also most of those guys are no longer the key to our success. I would suggest McEvoy, Smith and Stratton are still in our top 10 players, but the other are not.

Roughead and Frawley are important structurally, so we need to focus on finding some KPP replacements, but what's to say we can't do that in one off-season.

I watch the trade low down last night and dal santo and Johnson had us finishing 14th and 15th even after getting wingard and Scully. They have no idea.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I watched that too. So much Hawthorn hate!! 15th.......Flogs!

Remember we’ve still got the draft pick we get for McEvoy. Oh that’s right that didn’t happen.
Stupid post is terribly, terribly stupid.

Ah, you don't think that the Wingard trade is a reflection of how highly we regard Wingard?
Similar to when we got JOM, if you don’t trade picks and elect to go for a kid, it’ll take that kid perhaps 2-4 years to break into the senior side.....if they make it. Drafting these well established players in their prime gives you the ability to hit the ground running immediately, even though they’re a little older. If it brings success then bring it on.

Key is to nail a FA next year. Cogs or Kelly must be the target.

As Tops said, this is a 3-4 year process. If Scully is fit, we’ve absolutely nailed this part of it.

Perhaps we do have a pick swap happening, and that’s why we were comfortable giving Port our 2nd as a sweetener.
Yeah nah, new additions to the midfield should be the last thing on our minds.

Yep agreed.

Also most of those guys are no longer the key to our success. I would suggest McEvoy, Smith and Stratton are still in our top 10 players, but the other are not.

Roughead and Frawley are important structurally, so we need to focus on finding some KPP replacements, but what's to say we can't do that in one off-season.

I watch the trade low down last night and dal santo and Johnson had us finishing 14th and 15th even after getting wingard and Scully. They have no idea.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Some had us finishing the same in 2018 as well didn’t they? TBH I don’t think we resembled what a top 4 side should be and that was proven in our our straight sets finals exit. But given how tight the competition is and with our new ins, IMO we have every chance to finish in the 8 again. As usual a lot will depend on injuries and the form of our aging stars.

Well I for one am glad that the trade period is all done and dusted.

I have never been as invested as I was this time round, however I have learnt a valuable lesson.

I lost count of the time I said to someone "cool your jets" and "Be patient" after yet another "We are no longer a destination club" or a "Why the hell are we not doing anything" melt.

Going forward and in particular to next years trade period, always remember the Golden rule.

His name is not Graham Wrong. :thumbsu:

Just mentioned on SEN that we may be looking at Mav Weeler as a delisted free agent. Was also some mention last week in the Age that we were looking at Darren Minchington.

Makes sense with the draft picks we have that we may look at a delisted free agent. Both seem like they could be options as a defensive forward.

Gold Coast, GWS and Adelaide all have 3 picks each in the top 20. Is it possible to get one of those picks or will Wrighty hold steadfast and keep next years first round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salt mines.

I reckon that pick could be traded to get back in to this draft.

Imagine the salt then?!!

15th next year = top 5 pick in 2019. The media flogs have no idea that they are helping us by setting this expectation. Dumb campaigners.

What's a future pick 4 or 5 worth this year? Surely more than two picks in the teens.

Work it Wrighty.

15th next year = top 5 pick in 2019. The media flogs have no idea that they are helping us by setting this expectation. Dumb campaigners.

What's a future pick 4 or 5 worth this year? Surely more than two picks in the teens.

Work it Wrighty.

Other clubs aren't that stupid, they wouldn't bet on the Hawks having a down year.

Kane Cornes: "I'd rate Hawthorn trade period a D+, they really missed the boat in getting Shiel and Lynch and gave away far too much for their ins....... I strongly believe the AFL need to investigate Hawthorn over the Scully deal, a top four side should not be able to bring in such a high quality player for nothing........ Hawthorn will go backwards next year and finish 16th".
So he ranks our trade period as barely passable because we "gave away far too much" for our ins, yet we also need to be investigated because we gave up so little for Scully... And because we are "a top four side" we should not be able to do that, but also he thinks we're actually a bottom four side...

This is the same bloke who called a person on Twitter a "clown" while claiming that Richmond gave up pick 3 to get Tom Lynch.

Those two idiots also said North had a C rated trade period then tipped them for top 6 off the back of it.

It's less about Geelong being weaker and moreso making Wet Coke stronger.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wonder how close they got to giving in to Geelongs demand? I think kelly is seriously good and a perfect fit for them. Would have been tempting to add him while players like Kennedy and Hurn are still performing to a high level. They will be adding Nic Nat, Gaff, and Sheppard to the team, perhaps they thought there’s enough there already.

Last edited:
The scully trade is the one that makes me feel unsure about how well we've done.
We got him for nothing and if he goes out injured his salary doesn't count towards our cap. Given our medical team has had a look at him it's worth taking that punt IMO.

Just harping back to the GW interview on Trade Radio and his point regarding the Scully trade being part of a greater trade for GWS, does anyone else get the feeling there may be something in it for the hawks?

We pick up Scully for peanuts, and the full remaining cash component of his contract he had with GWS (rather than have them pay a portion). This then freed up enough Cap space for GWS to potentially keep Shiel, and play hard ball with * to pick up the 2 first rounders. Would it be possible that on the proviso that GWS receive the two first round picks, GWS would then trade either pick 9 or 11 + a sweetener for Hawk's 2019 1st Round Pick in order for the hawks to get back into this year's draft?

The trading of picks up until draft day really has added another level of complexity to discussion and side deals.
I really think what GW was alluding to was that GWS were going to be able to retain Shiel and make Dodoro pay what he promised to pay originally.

Word is he told Connors he'd pay two first for Shiel which was GWS asking price, once he nominated he back tracked and told GWS first and possibly future second thinking GWS had to accept as they needed the cap dump.

With Setterfield going to the Blues and us taking Scully's full contract off GWS books (with his ankle and the cap dump that is why it was a future 4th) we gave GWS the breathing room to push Essendon on price.

I think he was just quietly letting Dodoro know that he wasn't going to get away with sharking Shiel for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back