Play Nice Hawthorn culture and Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

This is going to be a very touchy subject.

There will be a very broad range of opinions about the correct way to handle this.

I'll remind everyone to post respectfully at this time - sniping at each other is not going to help.

Any continued pointless back and forth will get a day or more to cool off. If you want to avoid this fate, let it go.

Last edited:
Thankyou. Do you think the writer of the article gave Fagan due time to respond to the article, considering the people who conducted the review never did ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I do.

I highly doubt the ABC would publish an in depth investigative article containing such damning allegations that would leave them open to libel lawsuits without getting all their ducks in a row, especially after the legal saga with former Attorney General Christian Porter.

I selfishly hope Fagan is 'innocent' and this is all one big cross cultural misunderstanding, but the logical part of my mind tells me otherwise.

All I'll say is Justice for the victims is paramount.
Don't be surprised if not all of the information the ABC has has been reported. They have, in the past, held onto other damning allegations, waited for accused people to respond to the initial story and give themselves enough rope, then publish subsequent stories to completely stitch it up. Highly professional investigative journalism at the ABC. Wouldn't surprise me if there are more revelations yet. AFL House will be scrambling to find out what else they've got and on whom they've got it.

Sad for your club today, but those involved deserve what's coming to them.

Thankyou. Do you think the writer of the article gave Fagan due time to respond to the article, considering the people who conducted the review never did ?

From personal experience, journalists usually have an agenda to get the most clicks. Wouldn't surprise me if the journo in this case sent a message to Fagan 24/48 hours over Twitter on an account he hasn't used in years -if ever - to get a comment.

Doesn't take away from the story, but I think everyone needs to wait for the Hawthorne big wigs to tell their side of the story before making a judgement call.

Don't be surprised if not all of the information the ABC has has been reported. They have, in the past, held onto other damning allegations, waited for accused people to respond to the initial story and give themselves enough rope, then publish subsequent stories to completely stitch it up. Highly professional investigative journalism at the ABC. Wouldn't surprise me if there are more revelations yet. AFL House will be scrambling to find out what else they've got and on whom they've got it.

Sad for your club today, but those involved deserve what's coming to them.
I too think that more information will come to light.

He called out Kennett joking about his wife's torn Jean's. Nothing like this and why would they not act at the time if something do reprehensible occurred?

Sent from my SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It was a bit more than just a single joke:

"The Riolis have gone public with multiple allegations of racist behaviour at the club, including an incident where a ‘senior player’ asked teammates on a post-season trip in 2013 whether the partner of an Indigenous player present at the time was ‘also a boong’. Such behaviour was the impetus for Shannyn Ah Sam-Rioli repeatedly urging the club to improve its poor cultural awareness practices.

However, they believed insufficient actions were taken in response. The Riolis returned to Melbourne after two weeks in Darwin. There Ah Sam-Rioli said Kennett spoke over her during a meeting in the offices of Rioli’s TLA management. It paved the way for Cyril Rioli to announce his retirement days later, bring down the curtain on a glittering career of 189 games for Hawthorn that included him winning the 2015 Norm Smith medal and three All-Australian selections."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember how Fagan reacted when Greg Swann's dog ran onto the ground during training?

Starting to join the dots.

Not the person we thought him to be.

Still, I'll reserve my judgement till everyone puts their version forward.

Who is doing the AFL's inquiry? Surely the AFL is commissioning an external body. Wouldn't trust the AFL as far as I could throw them.

EDIT: NOT A SERIOUS POST,

EDIT EDIT: I REPEAT, NOT A SERIOUS POST.

Last edited:
The problem for Fages is that what really happened probably only has to be 1-2% as bad as the article seems for him to be out of the job

You certainly seem in a hurry to hang someone without hearing his side of the story.

Remember how Fagan reacted when Greg Swann's dog ran onto the ground during training?

Who is doing the AFL's inquiry? Surely the AFL is commissioning an external body. Wouldn't trust the AFL as far as I could throw them.
Heavens above!

Not sure that’s the gold standard considering the large number of media outlets who’ve been found liable in the past few years.
Not saying that it's immune to defamation action, just that anti-defamation lawyers will have been through it with a fine tooth comb already; they won't have published anything they thought might get picked up as defamation. The ABC's lawyers are better than most, despite what Channel 7, News Corp and Christian Porter would have you believe

I hope this is tongue in cheek

Unless completely exonerated Fagan has no way back I fear, and even legal action seems unlikely to achieve that.

As for Clarkson I always thought that bloke was a total sh1t stain and that's what worries me, I believe he did say those things and Fagan was aware.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke (1729-97).

I still love my ex-wife, but I left her with good reason.

It feels a bit like that's where I am with Fagan now.

:(

having seen fagan in action I don’t believe what is being beaten up as news. Let the investigation finalise but at the same time we should be getting around fagan.
Yeah nah. Let’s suspend judgement, be respectful of Chris Fagan and wait to see what the findings of the AFL’s inquiry are.
I don’t quite know what more the club and by extension, club members like myself and others can do.

Chris Fagan deserves to be given space and not have his character or culpability in these matters speculated on. At the same time, his employer, the Brisbane Lions, should maintain close contact and ensure that he has access to counselling and other support services.

In football parlance “getting around him” implies a level of unconditional support that is not appropriate under the circumstances. Dispassionate, objective, nonjudgmental and respectful - that’s what we should be aiming for. Sadly, the media think they can smell blood in the water, so I’m not expecting any of that from them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Hawthorn culture and Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back