News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

That was a strange one.

He was all over us. I feel he saw the writing on the wall that the saints are cooked and it cut deep
I have read (not sure if true) that Robert Harvey & Sam didn’t see eye to eye & Harvey let a few Saints people know what he thought of Mitchell.
Montagna chose to jump outta the van when he heard this.

Leaving Kane to drive a fairly empty van up until now.

I have read (not sure if true) that Robert Harvey & Sam didn’t see eye to eye & Harvey let a few Saints people know what he thought of Mitchell.

Harvey and Sam were fine, but Harvey didn't think Sam was anything special as a coach....likely because he was continually overlooked for senior roles himself. He told Montagna that he didn't think Sam had a good connection with the players.

Montagna not only bought right into it, but also has a bet going that he started in 2022 that Sam wouldn't make it passed 2024 without being sacked(with a Hawk supporter, who told me all of this).

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

I heard at the Saints, when football discussions were happening, as soon as Harvey spoke, discussion was over.

Not in a dictatorial way, just that when he spoke on matters football, the respect for him was so high, his was the ultimate word.

Montagna might still be of that mindset, that whatever Harvey says is immediately ultimate truth.

A couple of weeks ago, Robbo's ''sure thing" prediction on 360 was that we would trouble Port. He was proven right.

Last week, his ''sure thing'' was that there would be an upset on Sunday and he had us beating the Lions as the most likely. Again he was right.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Robbo is a much more objective and impartial journalist than the Cats-sycophant who sits beside him on 360.
Yeah you’re actually right.
He’s easy to lampoon with his incoherence, mumbling, rubbing of the face, crossed arms, his “I dunno Gerard, waddyareckon” and general where the hell are we on the run through shtick, but he does at times makes sense.
He’s a better writer with a thesaurus/editor beside him, than an on air personality I think.

I heard at the Saints, when football discussions were happening, as soon as Harvey spoke, discussion was over.

Not in a dictatorial way, just that when he spoke on matters football, the respect for him was so high, his was the ultimate word.

Montagna might still be of that mindset, that whatever Harvey says is immediately ultimate truth.
I visited the Saints board briefly after we beat them to see what the reaction was like. In the couple of pages I read, they were piling on to Harvey, who is coaching their forwards this year, I think.

Sounds like the BF Saints posters are better judges than Joey Montagna - and perhaps Ross Lyon anf their other coaches who 'respect' Harvey! ;)

Collins - Very close with Sam from the Box Hill days
Hickmott - Worked closely with Mitchell at West Coast and Sam really respected him as an assistant coach
Hale - Close during premiership days, and Mitchell is a big a fan of Hale's Footy IQ and general IQ.
Newman (at the time) - Had been at the club a while already and Sam worked well with as an assistant coach before taking over himself.

Harvey was the one coach Mitchell didn't have a connection with before we hired him at the time. I think Harvey may have even mentioned it the media during our team with us. Most new senior coaches will go with people they have relationships and know they can trust to get started. It's possible Harvey didn't quite connect with the rest of the coaching group given so many already had the relationship. He seemed to leave quite quickly and my feeling was we weren't overly concerned when he left, even though the appointment seemed very positive when we got him.

It would be interesting if Harvey did say he felt Mitchell didn't have that connection with players, because when I heard Nash compare the difference between Harvey and Hale, that Harvey's strength wasn't getting up and talking to the whole group to do presentations etc, but sort of approaching one on one to talk tactics etc, so sounds like Harvey might be projecting if that is the case.

The funniest part of this story is Harvey is one of the oddest units going around, clearly Sam rubbed him the wrong way 😂

I always thought Ginnivan would mature once he was traded to us.

He’s mature enough to know his time was up at Collingwood without actually being told those exact words.

So he is also mature enough to take the advice of ‘read the room’.
& he did.

He’s pulled his head in, he’s at the club he wanted to be at & he’s coach by an idol of his.

I also love the maturity he shows when decisions don’t go his way with the umps.
He gets up & plays on.

Unlike the Cats.

A fish rots at the head, Scott is a whinging sooking coach, the majority of those who play under him do the same
Scott will do a Hardwick .
He will pull the plug , say he and the club need a fresh start and then be coaching eslwhere within 6 months.
Wouldn't be surprised if he is coaching Lions come 2026

Yeah you’re actually right.
He’s easy to lampoon with his incoherence, mumbling, rubbing of the face, crossed arms, his “I dunno Gerard, waddyareckon” and general where the hell are we on the run through shtick, but he does at times makes sense.
He’s a better writer with a thesaurus/editor beside him, than an on air personality I think.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Collins - Very close with Sam from the Box Hill days
Hickmott - Worked closely with Mitchell at West Coast and Sam really respected him as an assistant coach
Hale - Close during premiership days, and Mitchell is a big a fan of Hale's Footy IQ and general IQ.
Newman (at the time) - Had been at the club a while already and Sam worked well with as an assistant coach before taking over himself.

Harvey was the one coach Mitchell didn't have a connection with before we hired him at the time. I think Harvey may have even mentioned it the media during our team with us. Most new senior coaches will go with people they have relationships and know they can trust to get started. It's possible Harvey didn't quite connect with the rest of the coaching group given so many already had the relationship. He seemed to leave quite quickly and my feeling was we weren't overly concerned when he left, even though the appointment seemed very positive when we got him.

It would be interesting if Harvey did say he felt Mitchell didn't have that connection with players, because when I heard Nash compare the difference between Harvey and Hale, that Harvey's strength wasn't getting up and talking to the whole group to do presentations etc, but sort of approaching one on one to talk tactics etc, so sounds like Harvey might be projecting if that is the case.

I had the occasion to sit and talk 1:1 for over an hour in a social setting with Harvey a year ago or so and he was surprisingly opinionated and revealing. Not just on Hawthorn and footy in general but the saints too. He was surprisingly revealing of very strong opinions on everything.

Regarding Sammy, he said that Mitchell had a big job in front of him but never said Mitchell wasn’t up to the task. And given his forthrightness in opinions in other areas, I suspect he would have said Mitchell wasn’t up to it if he believed that.

Just another data point. Not definitive, of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had the occasion to sit and talk 1:1 for over an hour in a social setting with Harvey a year ago or so and he was surprisingly opinionated and revealing. Not just on Hawthorn and footy in general but the saints too. He was surprisingly revealing of very strong opinions on everything.

Wonder if this nature is why he doesn't get head coaching gigs. Wouldn't want your head coach just venting to all and sundry.

Please excuse the intrusion, I don't know if this is common knowledge but there is a death notice in today's Adelaide Advertiser for Malcolm Hill.

I met the bloke many years ago when he transferred to SA, he was a Hawthorn player in the 1960's who I believe played in a premiership team for your club.
Yep

This is true (sauce: from within Saints). Harvey was quite happy to move on.

Wonder if this nature is why he doesn't get head coaching gigs. Wouldn't want your head coach just venting to all and sundry.
You also don’t want a senior assistant being so brutally honest and direct. Harvey is probably sick of being a veteran assistant coach who has never been appointed to the top job.

Cause there's nothing better than reading positive stories about the team the day after a win
maybe next season we can have some Friday or night games if we're so exciting and watchable

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back