News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Watch AFL360 tonight Leigh Montagna break us down what we are doing.
Interesting to watch. Showed how we open up the ground by our players going wide and deep to try and go through the middle but if the opposition tried to stop us through the middle then we go around them to the numbers on the outside. Also said it was hard to stop because we have a number of options

Interesting to watch. Showed how we open up the ground by our players going wide and deep to try and go through the middle but if the opposition tried to stop us through the middle then we go around them to the numbers on the outside. Also said it was hard to stop because we have a number of options

Teamwork is the thing that talks.

Because, and I say this with all due respect and reverence to Hodgey, he was enforcing the club standards of the time which were coming down from an oddly controlling coach who was bizarre in his dislike of individuality. Mitchell clearly runs a different show, so if Hodge was captain under Sam as coach he would probably not be enforcing things the same way.
It wasn’t bizarre at the time though. He was from the Kennedy lineage where it was all about one soldier down another steps up. You bought into the culture that the club required of you and it helped reap success. Off field he was quirky and embraced individuality but the mentality in the team environment was definitely one that required you to be that soldier and leave the ego at the door.

That was a different time though, a different generation, and Sam has moved with the times. What worked then wouldn’t work now and vice versa. Plenty of coaches are way behind on embracing this and it’s working to our benefit. Sam clearly saw a shift coming.

Watch AFL360 tonight Leigh Montagna break us down what we are doing.
He showed what we are doing. I wouldn't say he broke it down .

It's not exactly a secret . I think anyone who has watched us enough and seen us enough know exactly how we play .
It's requires hard power running, skill and working for each other with a lot of discipline .

Stopping it is another thing . All teams know in general how the others play .

Montagna said just that .

It's not exactly a secret . I think anyone who has watched us enough and seen us enough know exactly how we play .
It's requires hard power running, skill and working for each other with a lot of discipline .

Lucky huh.

Now all the oppo coaches will know about it.🤷‍♂️

Anyone watching a quarter of hawthorn game could have told you this. Hardly a deep dive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be no secret that the blueprint to beating it would be to defend the ground by making it as thin a possible which is easier said than done on the wider grounds especially if you don't have the players that can run. There's not to many teams that can run with us all day long on the wider grounds outside of a few.

This would explain our bad losses on thinner grounds because it's easier to defend and cut space off. It was obvious to see in the game at GHMBA when coming out of defence the Cats would have 3 or 4 players stand on the righthand side and then load up everyone else on the other side ushering the ball towards there where it was easy to cut of or be killed.

GROUNDLENGTHWIDTH
UTAS175145
MCG160141
GABBA156138
Manuka162138
SCG155136
People First Stadium158134
Optus Stadium165130
Marvel160129
Adelaide Oval167123
GHMBA170116

It would be no secret that the blueprint to beating it would be to defend the ground by making it as thin a possible which is easier said than done on the wider grounds especially if you don't have the players that can run. There's not to many teams that can run with us all day long on the wider grounds outside of a few.

This would explain our bad losses on thinner grounds because it's easier to defend and cut space off. It was obvious to see in the game at GHMBA when coming out of defence the Cats would have 3 or 4 players stand on the righthand side and then load up everyone else on the other side ushering the ball towards there where it was easy to cut of or be killed.

GROUNDLENGTHWIDTH
UTAS175145
MCG160141
GABBA156138
Manuka162138
SCG155136
Optus Stadium165130
Marvel160129
Adelaide Oval167123
GHMBA170116
By those dimensions, it could be a real bloodbath against North at UTAS this week

GROUNDLENGTHWIDTH
UTAS175145
MCG160141
GABBA156138
Manuka162138
SCG155136
Optus Stadium165130
Marvel160129
Adelaide Oval167123
GHMBA170116
Why do we play well at AO?

Not much different

GROUNDLENGTHWIDTH
GHMBA170116

What Wtf GIF by avalbano

Why do we play well at AO?

Not much different

The additional compression at Kardinia is bizarre. Stadium Australia has similar dimensions to Kardinia but we seemingly played alright there also. Having been to events at all 3 of those stadiums the dimensions at Kardinia absolutely stand out in my mind as being odd - particularly when the ground isn’t symmetrical.

Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon are fun to laugh at, particularly the latter two, but you can't deny they are the 3 biggest clubs in Vic.

That Carlton and Essendon are all still so powerful DESPITE being generally shit, kind of proves it.

Is OK to admit it, the next tier down - hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond - are as well resourced but without the pressure. And they win all the flags.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back