Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest I think last weeks loss hurt a lot more than this weeks. We were every chance of winning last week and we let it slip. Clarko and co decided to swing the axe and give a few youngsters a go, probably too many in hindsight.

It was just a matter of time that the Lions would record a win, they haven't been playing crap football, it was a home game and they have the benefit of our IP in the form of Fages and Hodgey.

The comp over the last two years is probably the most even it has ever been, we win today and we were a chance of being third, we lose and we get knocked out of the eight.

The next three games will be interesting. We have a chance to stand up and stay in the hunt, anything is possible this season. Can't wait to get Birch and Cyril back.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes he was. So no narrative and I have been consistent all year in questioning how Duryea has been getting a game - seemingly without monitoring his form.

So in a game where the team's skills were appalling you think the omission of Frawley was critical factor in that loss. You have no idea.

You do really need to go back and watch that first quarter again. Silk was caught HTB TWICE by Ronke - one as a result of a poor handball from Sicily and next because he (and this pains me) lacked awareness and was run down.

In saying that I am not a fan of Duryea and cover my eyes whenever he takes possession

I am pleasantly surprised by the mostly level headed responses after a disappointing yet not unexpected loss.

The signs have been there for the last month or so. We have a soft underbelly which is now being exposed.
The fact of the matter is that we just don’t have the troops.

We lack depth in our midfield......what do we have after Mitch, JOM and Shiels.
You can’t expect kids that have played 3 or 4 games to come in a consistently play at the level of Sammy etc
We have got some good young kids but they need time to develop.
Perhaps it’s time to get Burton into the guts.
Need to keep playing Howe, Worpel and Cuz in the middle, and make some decisions about the likes of Langford, JOR and Lovell in the 2nd half of the season.

Our game plan of bombing long into a forward line that can’t take a contested grab needs to be urgently re-evaluated. We have some very good lead up forwards in Gunston and Breust, and Roughy also. Need to clear out our forward line and lower the eyes.

Similarly, we are getting severely damaged exposed down back by our lack of tall defenders.
This is a list management issue that we have ignored for to long.

We are not and never were top 4 contenders. The reality is that we are a 7 - 12 side.
We have some holes in our list which are going to take time to address.
If you are not contending, then play the kids we think might have futures.....in particular Harry, Howe, Worps and Cuz. And I would throw Mitchell Lewis in that list also.

Our build towards our next premiership started after round 5 last year. It’s not an overnight fix and we need to stay the course.......and not expect immediate results

#thickandthin

Clarko’s pre-game interview:

1. By playing our younger players we will know where our list is relative to our ability to win our next piece of silverware.
2. Richmond and West Coast are the two team who are well ahead of us, and they trust their system - we need to keep progressing ours.
3. Brisbane haven’t been far off it, and it will be a tough game to win.

So, was today a reflection of these themes? Yep.

A few players genuinely had their colours lowered - not Sicily’s greatest day for example. Yet two weeks ago against the bombers, some of our guys couldn’t do anything wrong. On top of this, Essendon went into crisis. This week, Essendon beat the handbaggers.

It’s that type of season - one week teams look like premiership contenders, the next they lose to bottom teams. Let’s just enjoy the ride people - by round 9, the premiers of the past two seasons haven’t been mentioned as contenders even. From here, anything can happen.

Games like today really put a dent in the "draft picks are overrated" argument.

Fact is we haven't had access (or we traded) to any top 10/15 picks in a long time besides Burton.

You can't go that long without any real elite kids and it not start to impact you.

Ours kids are alright but none scream potential A grader besides Burton (or maybe not anymore).

In saying this I believe Hawthorn have done the right thing in trading picks for players like Mitchell and JOM. As these are elite/A graders (maybe not JOM but who knows with him).

It's just starting to affect us with our youth when we only have late picks to pick kids up with.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I was out all of today, so this became the first game in years that I didn't get to watch live in person or on TV. I managed to avoid any news about the game and was about to sit down and start the replay when my phone (Hawks official app) alerted me to the full time score.

I have to say, I've never been more happy to have a game's result spoiled for me. It saved me from spending 2 hours being frustrated and sad.

So what happened guys and gals? Other than the score board the only stat they seemed to dominate over us was marks inside 50. Stats also seem to suggest a lot of our players had decent to good games. So was Brisbane just that much better, or do the player stats deceive and we were actually pretty shit?

There I was thinking that the summation all of your posts was that Langford needed to be dropped and everything would be fine:

"aha believe me I'm not hanging on to Langers like a fading sunset. That omission is 3 years overdue. I've made my point clear on that often enough". You told us so.
I’m not sure wtf you guys are fighting for but Langford aint worth it.

Last edited:
I am pleasantly surprised by the mostly level headed responses after a disappointing yet not unexpected loss.

The signs have been there for the last month or so. We have a soft underbelly which is now being exposed.
The fact of the matter is that we just don’t have the troops.

We lack depth in our midfield......what do we have after Mitch, JOM and Shiels.
You can’t expect kids that have played 3 or 4 games to come in a consistently play at the level of Sammy etc
We have got some good young kids but they need time to develop.
Perhaps it’s time to get Burton into the guts.
Need to keep playing Howe, Worpel and Cuz in the middle, and make some decisions about the likes of Langford, JOR and Lovell in the 2nd half of the season.

Our game plan of bombing long into a forward line that can’t take a contested grab needs to be urgently re-evaluated. We have some very good lead up forwards in Gunston and Breust, and Roughy also. Need to clear out our forward line and lower the eyes.

Similarly, we are getting severely damaged exposed down back by our lack of tall defenders.
This is a list management issue that we have ignored for to long.

We are not and never were top 4 contenders. The reality is that we are a 7 - 12 side.
We have some holes in our list which are going to take time to address.
If you are not contending, then play the kids we think might have futures.....in particular Harry, Howe, Worps and Cuz. And I would throw Mitchell Lewis in that list also.

Our build towards our next premiership started after round 5 last year. It’s not an overnight fix and we need to stay the course.......and not expect immediate results

#thickandthin

This is spot on. We need to play the kids now, coz guess what, this list is going to be cleaned out again.

Rough is cooked.
So is Frawley.
Silk will retire.
Cyril may retire.
Birch can’t get on the park.
McEvoy is tiring.
Langers and a few others will be delisted.

Then what?

Worpel, JOR, Lovell, Cousins, etc need to be playing NOW!

The list is in serious transition mode. We can’t have list cloggers getting games right now or it will ferk our future.

This is spot on. We need to play the kids now, coz guess what, this list is going to be cleaned out again.

Rough is cooked.
So is Frawley.
Silk will retire.
Cyril may retire.
McEvoy is tiring.

Then what?

The list is in serious transition mode. We can’t have list cloggers getting games right now or it will ferk our future.
Couldn't have said it better.

We are in for an extended stint out of the 8 imo.

I was out all of today, so this became the first game in years that I didn't get to watch live in person or on TV. I managed to avoid any news about the game and was about to sit down and start the replay when my phone (Hawks official app) alerted me to the full time score.

I have to say, I've never been more happy to have a game's result spoiled for me. It saved me from spending 2 hours being frustrated and sad.

So what happened guys and gals? Other than the score board the only stat they seemed to dominate over us was marks inside 50. Stats also seem to suggest a lot of our players had decent to good games. So was Brisbane just that much better, or do the player stats deceive and we were actually pretty shit?

Without going into too much detail, this last part pretty much sums it up. Don't be deceived by the possession count or inside-50 count, the Lions absolutely dominated us from about halfway through the first quarter - they just didn't have enough skill to really put us to the sword until midway through the third.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We fumbled a fair bit, lacked polish, which is probably understandable given the kids we played. You're right though, marks inside 50 hurt us a lot, also, Brand gave away probably 3 goals from holding free kicks.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rough is cooked.
So is Frawley.
Silk will retire.
Cyril may retire.
McEvoy is tiring.

Then what?

Jeeeepers.. even though Ruff and silk are nearing the end, the thought of losing them and even Cyril maybe having 2nd thoughts about playing again and looking at what's next in line makes me very nervous.

You have got no idea mate. If you think the coach has no say in trades you are delusional!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where did I say he has no say? Someone said Clarko was responsible - he wouldn’t be. It’s a group decision.

Thanks again for another positive input on here.

We have 15 role players playing roles they're not suited to. The other 7 are stars who need help from the role players, but can't get it because they're struggling to play a role they're not suited to.

Game play, or using the buzz word 'structures', need to be changed. We don't have elites on every line that can play multiple roles and the structures don't hold up to modern football nor a side of non-elite role players.

Games like today really put a dent in the "draft picks are overrated" argument.

Fact is we haven't had access (or we traded) to any top 10/15 picks in a long time besides Burton.

You can't go that long without any real elite kids and it not start to impact you.

Ours kids are alright but none scream potential A grader besides Burton (or maybe not anymore).

In saying this I believe Hawthorn have done the right thing in trading picks for players like Mitchell and JOM. As these are elite/A graders (maybe not JOM but who knows with him).

It's just starting to affect us with our youth when we only have late picks to pick kids up with.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yup. but we had a fair influx in 2015 and will again in 2018, regardless of pick order. need to keep clarko interested too, we are far more attractive to mature recruits with him around.

Yup. but we had a fair influx in 2015 and will again in 2018, regardless of pick order. need to keep clarko interested too, we are far more attractive to mature recruits with him around.

So true, although if Hodgey was to come back and coach I think he would have equal pulling power.

Did you listen to Hodgey today on the boundary? Deadset is a genius, so measured and so concise and always knows exactly what's required at all times of the game. We should be whacking a contract in his face rolling out the red carpet to be our next senior coach, he will be a great success.

Why we bomb the ball long into fwd 50, time after time, when we have pretty much zero players capable of taking a contested mark drives me crazy

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

And what is worse, was bomb it from a kick out to the same spot where Brisbane's taller players would simply punch the ball back into their forward 50. This was also excruciating and leaves you wondering, is it the players stupidity for not changing it up or the coaches for not raising it during the quarter/half time breaks?

Rough is cooked.
So is Frawley.
Silk will retire.
Cyril may retire.
McEvoy is tiring.

Then what?

We got some good young kids in Sis, Burton, Hardwick and Harry.
Hopeful on Lewis -great to see a 19 year old KPF given an opportunity.
Also like what I see in Cuz - need to get games into him.
Worpel - early days but definitely a bit to like.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we turnover upto a dozen players from our list in the next 2 years.
We got a lot of decisions to make on some players that jyst might not be good enough

All is not lost.....just need to prioritise the future rather than playing just for the now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back