Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

It all starts and ends with the midfield. Nowadays more than ever if your midfield is light on you will struggle. When your midfield dominates every other area falls into place.

In our premiership years, we usually had a game, that made us realise that we needed to pull our fingers from our clackers and start playing again. I hope that today was that game

Easy to say in hindsight but this has been coming.

Three forces at the moment.

1) No cohesion in the team and so many changes every week (mostly forced)

2) The wrong structure as I said last week and many times this year. Example Sicily forward, Roughead back etc etc

3) Losing against the Swans like we did. It was a bad loss for us. It would have sapped the energy of a lot of players.

Clarko is the best coach of all time but he’s had a poor month and he has to and will respond. This isn’t about a few wholesale changes, the whole structure of the team needs to change. The leadership group are silent and not taking charge on the field and the general attitude of players is bad. I actually looking forward to what Clarko does angry. We need it!

Clarko and the match committee panicked this week at the selection table. Dropping Howe when JOM is out. Dropping Chip. Too many changes, playing Morrison, cousins and worpel too much inexperience.

Happy O'Brien was dropped. Seriously out of form or not up to it. But Rough isn't offering much.
I have to say I think we look heaps better with Shoey in the side. He takes grabs, makes the contest and actually provides a bit of intensity. He is no world beater but honestly he is probably out best option up front.

Reality check for everyone at the club. Interesting to see where we go from here.

Instead of jumping on you high horse, would you care to explain your thoughts on why we played with no passion, effort or care?
You're the one on your high horse, declaring that a poor effort = the coach has lost the players.

It's a completely over the top comment based on nothing and the sort of comments that shouldn't be just posted without much thought.

The fact is that we won a lot of the key indicators, so the effort was indeed there, but obviously the polish, skills, decision making, some specific efforts and gameplan all let us down at different points throughout the game.

Playing the kids is the worst possible thing right now. That’s how you end up a St Kilda.

This is about our senior leaders absolutely going into beast mode and leading this team with a new structure and commanding plan.

Players like Duryea can go back to Box Hill for good but there aren’t a lot of player changes you’d make.

Easy to say in hindsight but this has been coming.

We exceeded expectation, but when you review the games closely, even some of the wins were overstated.

We're a middle of the road 7-12 footy side.

If we are smart, we'll milk the system, finish as low as we can and get the draft picks we have desperately needed for 4 years.

I just fear Clarkson is not that kind of competitor and we'll finish 7th, get a straight set loss and just paper over the cracks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're the one on your high horse, declaring that a poor effort = the coach has lost the players.

It's a completely over the top comment based on nothing and the sort of comments that shouldn't be just posted without much thought.

The fact is that we won a lot of the key indicators, so the effort was indeed there, but obviously the polish, skills, decision making, some specific efforts and gameplan all let us down at different points throughout the game.
Clarko’s biggest strength is getting the team focused and mentally hard. Effort mentally if that makes sense.

In that regard we are lazier than I’ve ever seen us.

He’s a legend but had a bad month.

Mate, at ground level it was horrible.

After half time we were smashed and the result was set in stone.

We were never in the hunt in the 2nd half and if stats say otherwise then I'll give the game away.

Playing the kids is the worst possible thing right now. That’s how you end up a St Kilda.

This is about our senior leaders absolutely going into beast mode and leading this team with a new structure and commanding plan.

Players like Duryea can go back to Box Hill for good but there aren’t a lot of player changes you’d make.
I agree. Saying "we're going to just play the kids" is completely capitulating. You can't expect anyone inexperienced to perform to their ability in that environment. I think you still have to play the best side you have available - but I also think it has to be on week-to-week endeavour, not reputation or past deeds.

I would suggest they don’t have much choice, the cupboard is looking pretty bare.

While I was pleased to see Lewis get a game is Shoe playing poorly at BH or is he done and they just aren’t going to play him anymore. He just seems to add so much more to the forward line

We exceeded expectation, but when you review the games closely, even some of the wins were overstated.

We're a middle of the road 7-12 footy side.

If we are smart, we'll milk the system, finish as low as we can and get the draft picks we have desperately needed for 4 years.

I just fear Clarkson is not that kind of competitor and we'll finish 7th, get a straight set loss and just paper over the cracks.
So not tanking is bad.

What are you on about?

Mods gone to sleep here???
If you'd all like to chip in to pay my wages, I'll try to be online 24/7.

Other than that, yes, sometimes we do sleep...and even do other shit too...

That comment was made by someone else, I agreed there was a disconnect.
If you think the effort was ok today then it's probably best we leave it here.

If we didn't bring in Mitchell where would we be now ? JOM I can understand a certain amount angst about given the cost and his injury history though I am still backing him in to be worth it.

Honestly, it's not about where we are now anymore. Brisbane are now 1 - 8 and I would much prefer their list entering 2019.

By no means am I cracking in on Mitchell, O'Meara or even the decision to recruit them. However, it doesn't stop me from wondering if this was the best long term decision?

I don't have a crystal ball. But we need to be contending in 3 - 5 years. In 5 years Mitchell and O'Meara will be 30. We need to get a lot of talent through the club in that time and finishing 8th, 9th or 10th isn't a great result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back