Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be banned, cant believe he has only copped a suspension...
The suspension stops the posting, report the PM if you havent already
I have to go up the chain to get the account dealt with permanently

Would be interesting knowing whose alias it is

Whoever it is they used another alias last year to send me a similar message privately (complete with jokes about Roughy dying) and similar pictures that he’s posted here. I’m glad our three peat melted his brain so badly.

Making jokes about cancer, shameful. Obviously this posters parents did a bad job raising him. Friendly banter is one thing but that is disgraceful. Shame on his parents, especially his mother.
Clearly hasn't lost loved ones to cancer. Lower than a snakes belly, we aren't in bay13 here.

Is the message gone stale or do we lack some real grunt and leadership when our backs against the wall? You could always rely on hodge Mitchell and Lewis to lift us when we are playing like this. Besides Tom Mitchell and Burgoyne do we have anyone who looks likely to do that?

I thought Roughead did well to go in backline and help out, double fist punch, offer support as leader, nice goal on Hodge too late in 3rd.

To me it all depends on Tom Lynch.

The comp is as weak as it’s ever been so if we can get a genuine A grade forward we may be able to build the pieces around him to be competitive for finals and maybe a flag.

If no Tom Lynch then build around Tom Mitchell, he’s young enough to take a few years out the finals rebuilding through the draft. Then we can add layers through fre agency and trading.

Well I feel in our recruiting of Mitchell and O'Meara, we have kind of hitched our wagon to be aiming to be a contender sooner rather then later. Don't get me wrong, both are still young and have plenty of great football for HFC ahead of them.

The problem as I see the current list as it: If we can't be contenders with Gunston, Breust, McEvoy, Smith, Shiels and Stratton still in their primes, who from our young players will be helping O'Meara and Mitchell when they are 27-28? Perhaps Impey, Sicily, Morrison, Burton and Hardwick. But it's still very short of talent.

Perhaps I am upset by the loss. But today kind of highlighted where we are at as a list. At the risk of upsetting many on here, I feel we may start to question not just going down the draft route after 2016.

I think we are way more off it then a Tom Lynch fix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is basically the team many on this board has been demanding all year, maybe with Ceglar and orourke in for Doc and whoever. Hopefully this puts to rest some of those theories.

Regardless, I’ve never heard of a team winning after so many changes, and had tipped Brisbane as a result. I didn’t think we’d be pantsed the way we were though.

Looked awful across the backline (felt like Brisbane were going to score with every entry) and missed Frawley big time. Yes his disposal is sloppy but his positioning is infinitely better than Brands. The reality is though the game was lost in our forward half. When the ball rebounds out of our half as quickly as that today then it’s too hard to contain scoring. Same thing happened against Sydney.

So in a game in which the team's skills were appalling you think the side missed Frawley big time. You must be having a laugh - a bloke that cannot mark a football; is one of the slowest decision makers and then struggles to get the ball to hand or foot with any sense of urgency; is given to just hacking the football as opposed to getting the ball to advantage to a teammate; is seemingly incapable of killing the high ball; this is the said the player you are referring.

The reality is Frawley and Duryea have been utterly hopeless all season; somehow Duryea has gone under the radar and some people seem to think he has been solid this year. Duryea has been the clanger king all season and only last week had 7 goals kicked on him by a rookie.

If Duryea and Frawley are getting regular games then this side is definitely bottom four material.

Last edited:
This game was always posing as a huge threat... Fagan/Hodge know our players strengths/weaknesses inside out... Clarko may have tweaked the game plan but the ultimately it’s the same thing...

The biggest disappointment isn’t that we lost, its that I didn’t trust my instinct and tip the Lions..

Well I feel in our recruiting of Mitchell and O'Meara, we have kind of hitched our wagon to be aiming to be a contender sooner rather then later. Don't get me wrong, both are still young and have plenty of great football for HFC ahead of them.

The problem as I see the current list as it: If we can't be contenders with Gunston, Breust, McEvoy, Smith, Shiels and Stratton still in their primes, who from our young players will be helping O'Meara and Mitchell when they are 27-28? Perhaps Impey, Sicily, Morrison, Burton and Hardwick. But it's still very short of talent.

Perhaps I am upset by the loss. But today kind of highlighted where we are at as a list. At the risk of upsetting many on here, I feel we may start to question not just going down the draft route after 2016.

I think we are way more off it then a Tom Lynch fix.

If we didn't bring in Mitchell where would we be now ? JOM I can understand a certain amount angst about given the cost and his injury history though I am still backing him in to be worth it.

There was a lot to take out of todays game, I probably overrated our squad and certainly thought our structures held up better than what occurred today.

Things I was wrong about -

Brand - I gave him more credit than he deserved, I genuinely believed he had better ability as a defender, certainly in terms of killing the high ball. As it stands his papers are just about stamped, both he and Chip are not the answer, they are both inept.

Full ground structure - I really believed that we had the best structured side in the league, that despite our lack of genuine star power that Clarkos genius in his ability to get us to structure up would carry us a long way. Today we where out-coached, out hunted and outplayed from the 15 minute mark of the 1st quarter by a team that had a 100% losing record in it's last 10 games. There are clear issues.

Belief that our small forwards manic pressure is elite - Well that was a myth or a falsehood, really not worth a pinch of salt after today.

There are a few things that stick out to me -

* Our footballers are physically weaker and leaner than the rest of the league, the trend is heavily weighted to thick brutes through the middle of the ground, our guys are getting skinnier and skinnier and it shows.

* We lack key position players on every damn line, we don't have a genuine quality key position either forward or back on this list, not one single player.

* Our young wave of players are not elite, we have some foot soldiers who can contribute but these guys are not elite. I am talking about the Cousins, Worps, Howe, Morrisons etc. They are solid role players but we do not have elite youth.

Lastly, let's pray to the lord above that JOM has a genuine calf strain and it is completely unrelated to his knee, never has it been more blatantly obvious that we need another elite mid to stand up and support Titch. The investment in Jags was huge, it was massive and we desperately need this talented guy to come good and come good really soon.

Very good post mate.

I think O'Meara was just rested and will be back. And, I don't think our midfield is as big an issue as the key-position posts as you've mentioned.

We do need some more quality mids, but I think Impey was a real positive in that area today. We should just play him in the middle for the rest of the year now.

And spot on, we just don't have the talent coming through. Brisbane smacked us by what 10 goals today? Well, next year expect that to be 20. High draft picks is what we haven't had. I think as a result we all are guilty of getting a little excited by seeing a young kid debut or do a few nice things.

So in a game in which the team's skills were appalling you think the side missed Frawley big time. You must be having a laugh - a bloke that cannot mark a football; is one of the slowest decision makers and then struggles to get the ball to hand or foot with any sense of urgency; is given to just hacking the football as opposed to getting the ball to advantage to a teammate; is seemingly incapable of killing the high ball; this is the said the player you are referring.

The reality is Frawley and Duryea have been utterly hopeless all season; somehow Duryea has gone under the radar and some people seem to think he has been solid this year. Duryea has been clanger all season and only last week had 7 goals kicked on him by a rookie.

If Duryea and Frawley are getting regular games then this side is definitely bottom four material.
Let's not rewrite history to can a guy, take shots a Doc all day if that's your want its a free world but history says that three goals were scored while Silk was playing on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back