Player Watch Hawthorn NGA 2021 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

To get Cody Anderson as a Category B rookie, does that mean we have to promote Bennetts to a Category A rookie seeing as how we have already signed Jamie Uhr-Henry as a Cat B rookie as well?

Last edited:
To get Anderson as a Category B rookie, does that mean we have to promote Bennetts to a Category A rookie seeing as how we have already signed Janie Uhr-Henry as a Cat B rookie as well?

Anderson is Cat A not B if he doesn’t get bid on otherwise if we match a bid he’s on the primary list.

Anderson is Cat A not B if he doesn’t get bid on otherwise if we match a bid he’s on the primary list.

Does anybody know if we could take 3 national draft selections AND Anderson as a rookie (so 4 players total) with the available list spots?

Or is it more likely to be 2 players in the draft followed by a matched bid for Anderson or a pass with our third, allowing us to automatically rookie list him if he falls through?

Why is there transparency around our NGA? It would be great if we could follow kids in our academy through their later junior years and into the draft.

It seems odd that the whole thing is veiled in secrecy and someone had to direct message Tirau to find out of he's in our academy or not.

Does anyone understand the reason for it? Honestly, it's pretty poor from the club.

Why is there transparency around our NGA? It would be great if we could follow kids in our academy through their later junior years and into the draft.

It seems odd that the whole thing is veiled in secrecy and someone had to direct message Tirau to find out of he's in our academy or not.

Does anyone understand the reason for it? Honestly, it's pretty poor from the club.
It's really no different from any other non-northern club tbh

Why wouldn't he be a category B if not taken in the National Dust following the path of both CJ and Bennetts?
To be Cat B
  • International players, who are neither Australian citizens nor residents
  • Players from the New South Wales scholarship program
  • Players from the International scholarship program
  • Zone selections by Sydney and Greater Western Sydney from New South Wales or the ACT
  • Zone selections by Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast from Queensland
  • Players from other sports, who have not been registered with an Australian rules football club for three years
  • Indigenous and multicultural players through their Next Generation Academy zones

Anderson does fit any of the Cat B criteria

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be Cat B
  • International players, who are neither Australian citizens nor residents
  • Players from the New South Wales scholarship program
  • Players from the International scholarship program
  • Zone selections by Sydney and Greater Western Sydney from New South Wales or the ACT
  • Zone selections by Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast from Queensland
  • Players from other sports, who have not been registered with an Australian rules football club for three years
  • Indigenous and multicultural players through their Next Generation Academy zones

Anderson does fit any of the Cat B criteria

He is in our Next Generation Academy so must fall under the last criteria as he is definitely Cat B eligible....

Cam McKenzie was in St Kilda's Next Generation Academy as one of his parents was Sth African but he was never going to be selected outside 40 which was the threshold

HAWTHORN-LINKED BEAST IS ALMOST BACK

The midfielder who has become known as ‘The Beast from the East’ is closing in on a surprise return to the field.

Eastern Ranges onballer Cody Anderson has made good progress in his recovery from a Syndesmosis injury and is eyeing a final-round return against the Northern Knights on August 24.

A member of Hawthorn’s Next Generation Academy, Anderson has been sidelined with the injury since briefly featuring in Vic Metro’s third match of the under-18 national championships against South Australia on June 30.

He has been working with both the Hawks and the Ranges through the rehabilitation process.

Last edited:
Saw Cody Anderson recently at the gym and today running the streets.
He is a solid unit..would have to be over 80 kg of muscle.
Polled well in Morrish medal despite a syndesmosis late in the season.
Hawks are keen and I believe is NGA.
He is skilled and very hard at it.
Would be ready to go next year.
Likely to be a bargain around pick 30 and is the sort that I think could surprise at AFL.
Would like us to get him if available after 30.

From a richmond fan

Likely to be a bargain around pick 30 and is the sort that I think could surprise at AFL.

From a richmond fan
THE BEAST FROM THE EAST.

He is in our Next Generation Academy so must fall under the last criteria as he is definitely Cat B eligible....

Cam McKenzie was in St Kilda's Next Generation Academy as one of his parents was Sth African but he was never going to be selected outside 40 which was the threshold

HAWTHORN-LINKED BEAST IS ALMOST BACK

The midfielder who has become known as ‘The Beast from the East’ is closing in on a surprise return to the field.

Eastern Ranges onballer Cody Anderson has made good progress in his recovery from a Syndesmosis injury and is eyeing a final-round return against the Northern Knights on August 24.

A member of Hawthorn’s Next Generation Academy, Anderson has been sidelined with the injury since briefly featuring in Vic Metro’s third match of the under-18 national championships against South Australia on June 30.

He has been working with both the Hawks and the Ranges through the rehabilitation process.
He’s not Cat B. Even if he was which he isn’t we have max already.

Does anybody know if we could take 3 national draft selections AND Anderson as a rookie (so 4 players total) with the available list spots?

Or is it more likely to be 2 players in the draft followed by a matched bid for Anderson or a pass with our third, allowing us to automatically rookie list him if he falls through?
We are currently at 36 4 2. We have 2 list spots. They either elevate a rookie or more likely delist and re-rookie. Problem with rookie elevation is it only leaves 1 primary list spot. If we take 33 or trade up we couldn’t match a bid on Anderson and would have to hope he doesn’t get a bid and we can preselect him as a rookie or pass on him and take a different rookie. Belief is we are keen so someone like Gunston will get delisted.

He’s not Cat B. Even if he was which he isn’t we have max already.
I think the confusion is coming from 'CAT B' vs 'NGA' thinking.

Does NGA = CAT B or is/can NGA be CAT A?

*asking for like 80,000+ friends.

From a richmond fan

I can't not see James Worpel. But I won't set the same expectations on the kid. This is going to be a much harder team to break into at the beginning of his career.

I think the confusion is coming from 'CAT B' vs 'NGA' thinking.

Does NGA = CAT B or is/can NGA be CAT A?

*asking for like 80,000+ friends.
So correction Cat B allows max 3 so we could take another.
It’s a good question typically NGA = Cat A and my understanding is that would preclude Cat B status as they are meant to come from a non traditional football pathway. Even if ethnically they meet the criteria that would be a total rort. But like all things AFL it’s unclear and impossible to get information on. I believe Cat B can be taken as a rookie so can also be Cat A. Clear as mud right?

So correction Cat B allows max 3 so we could take another.
It’s a good question typically NGA = Cat A and my understanding is that would preclude Cat B status as they are meant to come from a non traditional football pathway. Even if ethnically they meet the criteria that would be a total rort. But like all things AFL it’s unclear and impossible to get information on. I believe Cat B can be taken as a rookie so can also be Cat A. Clear as mud right?

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Hawthorn NGA 2021 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back