NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
There have been a handful but nowhere near as many adopting a victim-blaming or credibility-attacking attitude in this thread.
A handful is considerably greater than zero, which is why I felt compelled to point it out. I don't think the grouping of posters into categories in order to discount their points of view is incredibly accurate, or helpful, either.

Senior administrator in AFL club backs new coach, more news at 11.

Sonja Hood's words mean nothing to the ongoing AFL investigation.

Of course they don't.

But Sonja isn't an AFL lackie, she's a died in the wool North supporter and equally as passionate about social issues with the highest levels of integrity..

I trust her judgment, having heard both sides of the story and willing not only not to sack Clarkson on the spot, but back him unreservedly, that we should wait for the resolution of the inquiry.

Senior administrator in AFL club backs new coach, more news at 11.

Sonja Hood's words mean nothing to the ongoing AFL investigation.
Her public words mean nothing, full stop.

She's in an awful situation, yet again.

Her Press Conference when they sacked Noble was a disaster. But I don't blame her, as there was no way it could be anything but.

She later explained on SEN that that was her first Press Conference, and it was intimidating and she basically didn't know what she was doing. She also acknowledged that her comments about having a great list, were lies - and she only said it because the list were actually all standing there watching her at the time!

She handled it very well considering. There was no right way to do that press conference.

And the same applies to this situation. She can't sack Clarkson. And therefore she can't publicly bag him.
She can't unequivocally support him either.

But she has to say something!

As I said, her public comments in regards to this are worthless.

What a stinky culture there was at Hawthorn in that period.
Clarkson and Fagan the 'Russian Mafia' as quoted by an assistant coach, Newbold dismissing emails from partners and Kennett bragging about his vast gollywog collection.
Stinks to high heaven.
There's been smoke coming from the joint for years and finally Clarkson and Fagan are going to go down in flames.

The Code Sports article has them up on Google Drive.

The women's emails are well written and Andrew Newbold goes from wanting to catch up which encourages the women to keep in touch then he drops her with the line that this is beyond him.

So the email from the partner said the player had spoken to the "playing group about it all". Does that mean about his problems at home? Or about possible separation?

The wife then said she doesn't want to meet at the club because the players know everything about whats going on (thus, she wouldn't be comfortable going there, it's embarrasing).

Most ex-players this week have said they knew nothing about any of it. hmmmmm. ("I know nothing.... Nothing!")

I wonder if the player development manager and the assistant coach who reached out to corroborate some aspects are the same person?

The women's emails are well written and Andrew Newbold goes from wanting to catch up which encourages the women to keep in touch then he drops her with the line that this is beyond him.

As a club president that is the right thing to say. The problem is if he then didnt follow up with Burt on how it is being handled, or with the CEO on how it is being managed, and didnt get back to her, then its a very bad look.

The final email reads like he was about to get on a flight and shot off a final email before being told to turn off all electronic devices. Not a professional response.

There's no problems at Richmond, we have our own Indigenous center, Indigenous support staff and we don't sterotype people.
We've supported Sydney Stack all the way through, we recruited Pickett when no one else would.
Bringing up Richmond on this thread, which is a leader on Indigenous issues, is just ridiculous.
Hawthorn and Collingwood have issues. Hawthorn under Clarkson was absolutely appalling.
Dude, literally the first thing I said was "This is in no way a comment on Richmond."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a club president that is the right thing to say. The problem is if he then didnt follow up with Burt on how it is being handled, or with the CEO on how it is being managed, and didnt get back to her, then its a very bad look.

The final email reads like he was about to get on a flight and shot off a final email before being told to turn off all electronic devices. Not a professional response.

To say he doesn't have the expertise is fair, but to say he doesn't have the influence is pretty pathetic. He was the president.

Of course they don't.

But Sonja isn't an AFL lackie, she's a died in the wool North supporter and equally as passionate about social issues with the highest levels of integrity..

I trust her judgment, having heard both sides of the story and willing not only not to sack Clarkson on the spot, but back him unreservedly, that we should wait for the resolution of the inquiry.

How can she sack Clarkson on the spot when he has a massive 5 year contract and hasn’t been charged with anything? She has to back him in.

Sonja Hood is backing Clarkson's version of events completely and she's certainly not one to make light of manipulating or abusing marginal ethnic groups. She's dedicated her life to championing them and bettering community groups, particularly young women.

I'm comfortable waiting for the resolution of the investigation with Leigh Adams in charge until such time as a verdict and we have to either replace or reinstate Clarkson. If that 12 months from now, so be it.

Genuine question - what is Clarko's version of events?

How can she sack Clarkson on the spot when he has a massive 5 year contract and hasn’t been charged with anything? She has to back him in.

For now she has to, but the more this drags on the more radioactive it's becoming for them. They'll find a way to cut ties if needed.

Her public words mean nothing, full stop.

She's in an awful situation, yet again.

Her Press Conference when they sacked Noble was a disaster. But I don't blame her, as there was no way it could be anything but.

She later explained on SEN that that was her first Press Conference, and it was intimidating and she basically didn't know what she was doing. She also acknowledged that her comments about having a great list, were lies - and she only said it because the list were actually all standing there watching her at the time!

She handled it very well considering. There was no right way to do that press conference.

And the same applies to this situation. She can't sack Clarkson. And therefore she can't publicly bag him.
She can't unequivocally support him either.

But she has to say something!

As I said, her public comments in regards to this are worthless.
Never done a press conference before, didn’t know what she was doing? 😳. What on earth is going on over there?

Also with Newbold, unless I am reading it wrong, he said that he didn’t have access to that email account but then says he checked it and confirmed he didn’t send the email (years after he has left the Hawks)?

So now we have the independent accounts of three couples, an account from Shannyn Ah Sam-Rioli detailing a similar experience, a former coach willing to stand as a corroborating witness and an email chain from the time that matches one of the accounts.

North Melbourne and Brisbane should start looking for new coaches today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back