NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
Yeah that report is pretty bad…

Give them 2 years for bringing the game into disrepute.

A year will be too little (considering it will probably be back dated or something), a ‘life ban’ too much.

Only issue will then be continuing to dish out the same penalty each time this occurs at all the different clubs in the league.

Absolutely nobody is immune to this - and it won’t stop at Hawthorn.

Even clubs that pride themselves on their history of indigenous players will have a few situations that may not pass the sniff test with a 2022/23 filter.

The other side would need to be extraordinarily mindblowingly compelling, especially given all the other accusations from a bunch of other individuals who have been spoken to independently.

And it wouldn’t surprise in the least if others come forward and back all this up, now that they won’t feel like they’re going out on a limb to do so.

I hazard to guess that the stories that come out of this from both sides will entertain the masses for months. Sad state of affairs all round.

Probably highlights to clubs that they should be employing more women to handle the softer side of players needs. Having 3 alpha males try to help a young player with relationship issues is a frickin powder keg waiting to explode. And sure enough...baaaang!

Give them an opportunity to respond (which I don't imagine will be any time soon).

What a cluster fk of epic proportions!!

Those emails are still only one side of the story.
Yep.

Apart from those emails, the personal stories from 3 separate couples, a coaching assistant willing to give corroborative evidence, the findings of an independent qualified consultant commissioned by the Hawthorn Football Club itself and the Rioli concerns that started the inquiry process in the first place, there's nothing to go on here, right?

What a stitch up.:think:

If I say that..... then of course the bozos on here accuse me of bias and defending the club!

it is much much better that every single person make up their minds today!!! Guilty!!!! Guilty! Guilty!
You’re like the guy in the game day thread saying “we’re still a chance” when you’re 11 goals down at 3/4 time and everyone else is calling it game-over.

Sure it’s possible, but the odds are overwhelmingly against it.

There’s an extraordinary amount of smoke here for there to be no fire.

So now we have the independent accounts of three couples, an account from Shannyn Ah Sam-Rioli detailing a similar experience, a former coach willing to stand as a corroborating witness and an email chain from the time that matches one of the accounts.

North Melbourne and Brisbane should start looking for new coaches today.
Doesn't look good.

Yeah that report is pretty bad…

Give them 2 years for bringing the game into disrepute.

A year will be too little (considering it will probably be back dated or something), a ‘life ban’ too much.

Only issue will then be continuing to dish out the same penalty each time this occurs at all the different clubs in the league.

Absolutely nobody is immune to this - and it won’t stop at Hawthorn.

Even clubs that pride themselves on their history of indigenous players will have a few situations that may not pass the sniff test with a 2022/23 filter.

The AFL will have a balancing act when it comes to the "findings"... all clubs have been getting involved in players personal lives for years, of all backgrounds

Yep.

Apart from those emails, the personal stories from 3 separate couples, a coaching assistant willing to give corroborative evidence, the findings of an independent qualified consultant commissioned by the Hawthorn Football Club itself and the Rioli concerns that started the inquiry process in the first place, there's nothing to go on here, right?

What a stitch up.:think:

It's a stitch up the way it's being played out. I'm not denying terrible things happened. I'm concerned about the lack of due process given to a number of key personnel from the club.

There will be an investigation and hopefully the truth comes out. And action can then be taken. Excuse me for not grabbing my pitchfork. Have fun with yours.

You’re like the guy in the game day thread saying “we’re still a chance” when you’re 11 goals down at 3/4 time and everyone else is calling it game-over.

Sure it’s possible, but the odds are overwhelmingly against it.

There’s an extraordinary amount of smoke here for there to be no fire.

The fire part of the story is whether there was coercion and pressure on the player... we still don't know.

The fact the club got involved in a domestic situation isn't enough of itself.

The AFL will have a balancing act when it comes to the "findings"... all clubs have been getting involved in players personal lives for years.
The big problem here is that this goes way beyond the AFL.

Politics are involved now and they’re going to have to be seen to take a very strong stand if these accusations are proven to be anything like correct.

What they’re being accused of is essentially “stolen generation” type stuff.

And I’m sure if you asked those involved in that back in the day they too would have argued that they were doing it “for their own good”.

Your boys look like they’re in a LOT of trouble.

The other side would need to be extraordinarily mindblowingly compelling, especially given all the other accusations from a bunch of other individuals who have been spoken to independently.

And it wouldn’t surprise in the least if others come forward and back all this up, now that they won’t feel like they’re going out on as much of a limb to do so.
It feels like the 'other side of the story' will simply be that it all did happen, but the club were the good guys, and the families were the bad guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really doesn't matter. He may have delegated responsibility for communication from his official Hawthorn FC email address but he remains totally responsible for the quality and content of communications from it, he has to have total confidence in and take full responsibility for the delegation. The fact that he doesn't seem to understand even this is gobsmacking.
Yep - responsibility can be delegated, accountability not.

Regards

S. Pete

The big problem here is that this goes way beyond the AFL.

Politics are involved now and they’re going to have to be seen to take a very strong stand if these accusations are proven to be anything like correct.

What they’re being accused of is essentially “stolen generation” type stuff.

And I’m sure if you asked those involved in that back in the day they too would have argued that they were doing it “for their own good”.

Your boys look like they’re in a LOT of trouble.

Repeating the allegation doesn't make it more true. Pointing out the allegation is serious, doesn't make it more true.

We all know it's over for the individuals if it is true.

So now we have the independent accounts of three couples, an account from Shannyn Ah Sam-Rioli detailing a similar experience, a former coach willing to stand as a corroborating witness and an email chain from the time that matches one of the accounts.

North Melbourne and Brisbane should start looking for new coaches today.

Who said nobody had prejudged anyone yet in this thread? :tearsofjoy:

These are the following (first person) detailed accounts I'd like to hear first and foremost before making a decision to ban them for 2 years as has been demanded so far.

• Ian
  • Zac
  • Liam
  • Chris Fagan
  • Alistair Clarkson
  • Jason Burt
  • David Flood
  • Mark McKenzie
  • Rioli, Franklin, Burgoyne, Chance Bateman and Brad Hill as young and experienced first nations players present at the club during the time

Clarkson and Fagan had a chance to "give their side of the story".

They instead chose formally worded denials written by their lawyers.

But of course keep going on about how it's a stitch up :rolleyes:

You get your wish.

Doesn't seem like lawyer talk to me.

Make no mistake, this will end up in Federal Court.

So the email from the partner said the player had spoken to the "playing group about it all". Does that mean about his problems at home? Or about possible separation?

The wife then said she doesn't want to meet at the club because the players know everything about whats going on (thus, she wouldn't be comfortable going there, it's embarrasing).

Most ex-players this week have said they knew nothing about any of it. hmmmmm. ("I know nothing.... Nothing!")
The ABC article alluded to him telling the playing group they were expecting and then being hauled into the office and you know the rest

Who said nobody had prejudged anyone yet in this thread? :tearsofjoy:

These are the following (first person) detailed accounts I'd like to hear first and foremost before making a decision to ban them for 2 years as has been demanded so far.

• Ian
  • Zac
  • Liam
  • Chris Fagan
  • Alistair Clarkson
  • Jason Burt
  • David Flood
  • Mark McKenzie
  • Rioli, Franklin, Burgoyne, Chance Bateman and Brad Hill as young and experienced first nations players present at the club during the time
Who is Zac?

You get your wish.

Yep. He has a point. There are now dozens of people who have seen the report and he still hasnt seen it. And every day and every leak just adds to the strength of his case when his lawsuit(s) come out.

Imagine trying to find an impartial jury. You'd need to go to another country to have a jury trial held.

You get your wish.

terry gilliam film GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back