NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:

Coercive control by clubs (in regards to living arrangements) has been going on for years. The players don't live together because they're all "best mates" its because the club insist on it. If the club are worried enough they live with staff or coaches. Sometimes senior players will billet a kid moving.

* me people don't honestly believe that the clubs give young adults the freedom to make their own decisions do they? It hasn't been like that for 25+ years ffs.

When GWS started up, they pretty much all lived in the same gated estate.
I don't know how much pressure was applied if any of them didn't want to though.

Standard in the military to. Young soldiers are generally forced to live on base for the first 6-12 months after finishing initial training.

Young lads fresh out of home with disposable cash is an incredibly dangerous game.

It's been happening for a long time. The living arrangement stuff shouldn't be earth shattering to any football fan. Every single club will be doing it. Control what your players do then you control the narrative.

This from the NewsCorp story yesterday, reporting directly from the Hawthorn commissioned independent report:

The whistleblower coach, who is not Indigenous, “reached out’’ to the authors of the report who up to that point had only interviewed Indigenous people in order to corroborate parts of the testimonies from players and their partners.

“He went on to say Evans, Clarkson, Fagan and Burt operated the football department like The Russian Mafia,” the report said.
Cheers, thanks for that, I missed that.

Herald-Sun have copies of emailed send to then press outlining concerns, doesn’t look good for accused with email proof now coming to light.
*newbold denies receiving emails and replying

Don't worry I'm sure the North and Hawks fans in here will concoct a rebuttal as to why this development is nothing and we just have to wait for the "real" facts to come out.

I guess they need to have the emails forensically examined now.

Still resisting the urge to pay for News.com.au subscription.

If he's claiming he didn't send them then yeah, it would need to be dug into.

This is textbook obfuscation. They're doing anything they can to delay things, but at the same time moaning to the AFLCA that the investigation is taking too long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All some people are saying...including myself...is that all these senior Hawk personnel deserve the right of reply and due process before they are hung, drawn and quartered.

The allegations being made are very serious.

As for the assistant coach who has come forward, I am VERY skeptical about him. Very! Something about him that doesn't smell right.

Either way, due process is all anyone could ask for in these types of situations.
I have my doubts on the assistant coach as well. If they actually run it like the Russian mafia he was probably on the outside and would be most likely hearing stories 2nd or 3rd hand which would make it hard for him to corroborate stories

I do believe there is more truth in the players stories but that the coaches do need to be allowed some form of process before being judged completely on them

Last edited:
Not sure how Newbold can still deny any knowledge of the emails

It is entirely possible Newbold is telling the truth.

There is a similar email address in my role that I do not monitor. It is triaged by an EA who then distributed items to the most appropriate recipient. If you send an email to the address it is notionally coming to me directly. This isn’t uncommon at executive level.

What is uncommon is that this kind of email would be forwarded and responded to by anyone other than the President.

There’s a very bad “Total Control of the Club and it’s Players” vibe emerging here.

THe emails are damning evidence, despite Newbold claiming its not him replying.

This is huge.

Think about this - why would a partner of player send an email in 2013 detailing her exact experience only to disclose it to a independent Hawthorn investigation in 2022 ? Furthermore, it was Hawthorn who initiated contact as part of this review not the partner/s & former players.

It is entirely possible Newbold is telling the truth.

There is a similar email address in my role that I do not monitor. It is triaged by an EA who then distributed items to the most appropriate recipient. If you send an email to the address it is notionally coming to me directly. This isn’t uncommon at executive level.

What is uncommon is that this kind of email would be forwarded and responded to by anyone other than the President.

There’s a very bad “Total Control of the Club and it’s Players” vibe emerging here.
Yeah I really trust what Newbold, Clarkson and Fagan say.
Fine honest men lol

Depends on which version of the player’s own truth you are reading.

It appears certain the same player in attachment 2 spoke to a major Melbourne newspaper on two occasions immediately after his career talking about his past and his time at the Hawthorn football club.

In those articles he could not have been more glowing about Hawthorn’s support network, Clarkson and Burt while at the club and after he was delisted. He refers to them as “friends for life.”

10 years later the story is completely different but notably it is written by the player’s partner.
It's possible that after being delisted that player was hoping to get picked up by another team and didn't want to be seen as slamming the door on the way out so to speak.

I know last time I changed jobs I waited a month or so in my new position to start badmouthing my old employer to my new one. All good things to say prior to that.

The_Ru has explained how its possible for a club president to have not seen an email. Its common practice for PA's and EA's to filter their managers emails and action them.
I don't think so. So you're saying the PA is racist and not Newbold?

No wonder Buddy left and Cyril won't step foot in the club ever again.
I don't mind if Hawthorn lose their licence.
How would that be helpful if the people responsible for this failure of governance are elsewhere? Punish those involved - if any still involved at Hawthorn, punish them too. Stripping them of their license doesn't really make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back