List Mgmt. Hawthorn Trade and FA news discussion NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s been floating around for a while, he’s a very good player Scully and didn’t play after round 2 this year.
Very professional and would be great on the opposite wing to Smith. I’d be all for it

When he was floated a few months back I was excited. Players who can run all day are becoming more and more valuable and Scully is elite in that regard.

With Smith almost 30 this is probably a more pressing need anyway?

Can I throw a left field one out there for people to consider re Wingard.

Last year the Power picked up Rocky Watts and Motlop all on more than 500k a year each.

Could Port possibly be in strife with their cap and doing a GWS and trying to find a couple of bidders and take the best offer for him and clear some cash?

Last year the Power picked up Rocky Watts and Motlop all on more than 500k a year each.

Could Port possibly be in strife with their cap and doing a GWS and trying to find a couple of bidders and take the best offer for him and clear some cash?

No

He's a player, not the end of the world. Would have been nice to sure up our midfield... but he was never gonna be a messiah. He'd be third on our midfielders list.. was 5th on GWS and is probably 2nd on Essendon's surprisingly behind only Devon Smith, which begs the question what has happened to their own draftees now the juice is gone?

way way more than 500

Hate when people say that we are a destination Club. No we are NOT. Football players these days are like children and play for the team that is the flavour of the month. Eg Richmond, Essendon and W/C

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even if we are, we aren't the only one and have never been the only one.
In fact when we have recruited, we have more often than not been ridiculed at that point in time.

We have been a destination-by-hindsight club. If anything the term means a consistently honourable club to deal with. Sometimes then you don't appear to 'win'

I get that we are competitive but there's no reason to need to 'win' trade week, just as there's no reason to win draft week. its a holistic process
(my last comment is not meant for morsey alone its just at the 'vibe')

.@tombrowne7 expects Chad Wingard to nominate his club of choice as soon as this evening.

Would he put the Victorian powerhouse right in premiership contention?

#TalkingTrades #AFLTrade

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I want to believe but isn't that the same guy that had 3 different stabs at where Shiel would end up and still got it wrong?

Get a grip everyone. A few thoughts...

The correlation (in recent years) of teams that bring in big trades and finishing position next year is weak. How many flags have Dangerfield and Franklin won in the last few years?

Hawks have been pretty good at knowing when to throw the kitchen sink at a trade (Burgers, O'Meara) and when to take a more conservative approach.

The club may have made a judgement looking at the next 2 drafts we would be better keeping 2 high picks rather than using them for one ready made talent. This runs counter to our strategy in recent years but I would trust the judgement of our experts who get well renumerated to watch current and future AFL talent play all season.

A lot of NBA clubs overpaid for talent (wages and draft picks) in recent years when the NBA cap increased and now are stuck with lemons on crazy contracts. While the smart clubs held fire and accumulated assets and paid their current assets fair wages.

We can restructure salaries to bring forward some payments to players in 2019 to keep our warchest for 2020 and 2021. So I can't see us wasting money.

The idea that we need ready talent now because Mitchell and O'Meara are "in the window" is too much of an oversimplification. It's a similar argument that Saints and Carlton fans use to argue that because we won 3 flags in recent years we are now on a downswing and they are trending upwards because of all the hoarded high draft picks they have accumulated. Just think who won the last 3 flags. If you had called Dogs, Tigers, Eagles in 2016 you would have been sent to the asylum.

Hawks keeping a lid on salaries in a sport where you need 22 players every week plus adequate injury cover still looks the way to go for mine. It still seems that the bottom 6 in your best 22 have more impact on who wins a flag than the top 6. Hence the approach to recruiting the very unsexy Impeys, Hendersons, Amons? etc.

I could go on but I won't.

Feel free to resume panic mode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a different opinion on what went down now. I believe Dylan and co approached Bombers previously as preference due to likelihood/age profile of premiership though essendone would rather have waited until next year when a FA and focus on a much cheaper Martin this year so he was happy enough to go to the Hawks. Word gets out that Essendon are getting roadblocked by the Suns on Martin so Shiel & co have gone back to ask the question before agreeing to terms with us and they have come to the party. We got played by the Bombers , Connors and Shiel. Oh well doesn’t happen too often to us Hawks.
Nope Hawthorn was his first choice don't believe anyone that says otherwise, Hawthorn are the ones that walked away from this deal.

People are hung up on next year. Look Shiel isn’t going to make a huge difference. He’s a mid and a statistically average one. Losing all our picks and paying him a million a year makes no sense when coniglio kelly and a range of other players become available.

I would have been devastated if we lost out on a better player next year because we shot our load on an average one this year

Shiel is obviously not an average midfielder.

I agree that it would be silly to lose out on a better player such as Coniglio by throwing too much at Shiel - but there is obviously no guarantee that we will sign Coniglio next year. Why would he come over other potential suiters that will offer more money than we are willing too? Verbal commitments have proven to mean absolutely jack shite, so you can't give me that.

If Shiel wanted Hawthorn he would have said I only want Hawthorn, that would have reduced GWS power at the trade table and we'd have got him as they needed to trade him as much as he wanted to head back to Melbourne. Instead it seemed Shiel wasn't to fussed what club he went to which gave GWS all the power abd turned it into a bidding war.

Agree 100%. He just had to nominate us and it would have happened.

Last edited:
Any way we can create a new thread and lock out the flogs from here who don't understand that things change and it is never a business of certainty?

I for one would be shattered to lose the ITK input of posters like yourself and Topiary.
Completely agree.

While it's frustrating for all of us when we don't land good players, I appreciate all of the feedback from the posters with any inside knowledge.

It really pisses me off when we start to eat our own as some have done to posters here. The intel they have shared may even put them in the shit if they were caught.

Thanks to everyone that goes above and beyond to share insider knowledge.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Get a grip everyone. A few thoughts...

The correlation (in recent years) of teams that bring in big trades and finishing position next year is weak. How many flags have Dangerfield and Franklin won in the last few years?

Hawks have been pretty good at knowing when to throw the kitchen sink at a trade (Burgers, O'Meara) and when to take a more conservative approach.

The club may have made a judgement looking at the next 2 drafts we would be better keeping 2 high picks rather than using them for one ready made talent. This runs counter to our strategy in recent years but I would trust the judgement of our experts who get well renumerated to watch current and future AFL talent play all season.

A lot of NBA clubs overpaid for talent (wages and draft picks) in recent years when the NBA cap increased and now are stuck with lemons on crazy contracts. While the smart clubs held fire and accumulated assets and paid their current assets fair wages.

We can restructure salaries to bring forward some payments to players in 2019 to keep our warchest for 2020 and 2021. So I can't see us wasting money.

The idea that we need ready talent now because Mitchell and O'Meara are "in the window" is too much of an oversimplification. It's a similar argument that Saints and Carlton fans use to argue that because we won 3 flags in recent years we are now on a downswing and they are trending upwards because of all the hoarded high draft picks they have accumulated. Just think who won the last 3 flags. If you had called Dogs, Tigers, Eagles in 2016 you would have been sent to the asylum.

Hawks keeping a lid on salaries in a sport where you need 22 players every week plus adequate injury cover still looks the way to go for mine. It still seems that the bottom 6 in your best 22 have more impact on who wins a flag than the top 6. Hence the approach to recruiting the very unsexy Impeys, Hendersons, Amons? etc.

I could go on but I won't.

Feel free to resume panic mode.

KEEP YOUR CALM LOGICAL APPROACH TO YOURSELF.

WE DIDN'T GET SHIEL. NOW WE WILL DIE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back