List Mgmt. Hawthorn Trade and FA news discussion NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawthorn operate in a very organised manner. The exception with the McEvoy trade weve had our targets commit months before the trade period.

This year with Lynch and Shiel we didnt get that early or final commitment and it's spelled trouble.

Apart from fringe players I wouldnt expect much. I was sold on Shiel coming. But we really need to rethink our strategy now.

We dont have a core of Franklin, Rough Mitch Hodge Lewis Rioli all mid 20s to entice people anymore.

We are back in the pack. Like it or not

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In a perfect world I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the merits on how we entice players to come to hawthorn, and for the previous 8-9 years (before 17) we could sell a dream of success. The said dream is far more fanciful than reality at this present moment, we have to understand that the elite players don’t need us, we actually need them more and we may need to pay more than we’re comfortable with.

Make no mistake, alarm bells would be ringing.. like any good business operator, if you have 3-4 big swings at deals/opportunities then you’re going to reflect and look to do things differently because there’s something not right in your approach. Wrighty has the runs on the board, but it’s probably fair to say he has a bit of work to do to get back into the top bracket of operators in the league. I am sure, and I like to think it’s true that GW and Co and working on their philosophies and approach as a matter of urgency right now.

8 days to make our list better, that’s what they have, otherwise it’s to the draft where he has struggled in recent times to get quality players in with our first pick.

I agree with a vast majority of what you say, we do need, at least another 2 or 3 A grade players. As you state we need them more than what they need us. I hope, that Cogs and May are our targets for next year, and we are currently working to secure them for next year. Wingard, I suspect will stay at port. Just a feeling no information. Scrimshaw sounds like a promising prospect, hoping if we get him, we can turn him into another Gunston. Hoping that we also pull off a surprise this trade period.

I know you do the negative thing and that's cool, but I think you've got this one wrong.

Did anyone from Hawthorn ever actually say that we were after Shiel this past month?? I mean from the club directly.

Because I don't remember it. It seems like a few convinced themselves that he was a monty and have worked themselves into a tizz about missing out on something that might of never been in play...

Im chuffed we keep it close with no leaks, what does that gain?
We might have been right in it, but the fact that the 3 other clubs supposedly in the hunt for Shiel are all basketcases makes me okay with missing out on him. I think most people were more worked up for one of the absolute best FA's, Shiel was the more realistic but slightly meh option.

If anyone had an opinion on it around here ya ain’t gunna hear about it any time soon ....
Can not be ****** with the Bullshit it would bring if we missed !!

Any way we can create a new thread and lock out the flogs from here who don't understand that things change and it is never a business of certainty?

I for one would be shattered to lose the ITK input of posters like yourself and Topiary.

Sadly, Tom Browne has been wrong on all fronts regarding player trade movements.

We’re fu****. :$

Someone suggesting Wingard might not be happy being a fall back option? Considering Hawthorn never made a comment about Shiel that seems to be conjecture layered on conjecture

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is a pretty big assumption.

If Shiel was always 100% committed to us he wouldn't have entertained other clubs. No matter what so many on here wanted to say about it. If Shiel was determined to get to HFC, he would have. GWS would have had no other bidders.

As such, if Shiel wasn't 100% committed the onus was always on us to convince him. Neither Shiel or Connors should be thought of negatively for taking perhaps a far longer term, more lucrative offer. He was never ours to have and he only needs to answer to himself and his family.

Many on here are pissed at Shiel and Connors primarily because some on here tried to convince the majority it was a done deal. It wasn't.

I love the club and in all honesty I'm not too fussed we have missed on Shiel when the bidding got to insane amounts.

However, you do have to wonder if we ****** this up with a 'wait and see approach to Lynch' or a temptation with 'the Chad'.

Perhaps two weeks ago we had him at 800k a year and then we started thinking we could get a hotter bird, before ultimately coming crawling back at 1am drunk on the dance floor.
Shiel can suck the blood from my plums. We move on. Shiel who?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

You'd cut (or trade out) a Miles (for example) for a Shiel or a Wingard. But a Barlow?
In actual practice, space needs to be made for this trade bravado. Thats why we have pros doing it.

When you land a big fish, in the back of your mind you know you have to flick a very loyal fish out of the pond when you get home

Any way we can create a new thread and lock out the flogs from here who don't understand that things change and it is never a business of certainty?

I for one would be shattered to lose the ITK input of posters like yourself and Topiary.

Could someone please explain what "ITK" stands for?

Could someone please explain what "ITK" stands for?
In the know, aka have sources whether it be media, current or former players/coaches/list managers etc

You'd cut (or trade out) a Miles (for example) for a Shiel or a Wingard. But a Barlow?
In actual practice, space needs to be made for this trade bravado. Thats why we have pros doing it.

I would trade nothing for Barlow but a low one year contract if deemed fit enough to assist Worpel, and others with some experience. It was said in half jest but if you got him for almost nothing then yep as would offer a lot more than say O'Rourke.... you could say the same thing about Goddard as I think he could play another year or two but his knob attitude on field would not be tolerated. Again, no trade for these type of blokes and very small pay but with Sam in charge of the Mitchell mid-field is just a thought but again as I mentioned would trade NO picks for anyone now but go for youth. Miles perhaps in hindsight I would hang on to but O'Brien, Langers if you could get something for than personally would say yes...

People are hung up on next year. Look Shiel isn’t going to make a huge difference. He’s a mid and a statistically average one. Losing all our picks and paying him a million a year makes no sense when coniglio kelly and a range of other players become available.

I would have been devastated if we lost out on a better player next year because we shot our load on an average one this year

Because we need key players learning our system before others go out.

Who are the pieces that we have already acquired in the premiership team we are building toward? Who is vying for the rest of the spots? What positions need filling asap to be learning the system before even more positions become vacant through Stratton, Smith and McEvoy?

Hardwick, Stratton, ??
??, Sicily, ??
Burton, Mitchell, Smith
Impey, ??, ??
Breust, ??, Gunston
McEvoy, O'Meara, Shiels
Worpel, ??, ??, ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back