Review Hawthorn v Cats - match sim - Thursday 23rd Feb, GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah because his physicality and toughness is elite. 🙄

We'll just ignore him going back in the flight to stop a Geelong mark with 5 minutes to go, shall we?

Maybe we should just change this thread name to 'Scrimshaw - whipping boy 2023.'

First game of the season and here come the lynch mobs.

it felt like our defenders/midfielders running defensively put in very little effort. not sure how much can and should be taken away from simulations of preseason games, although i suspect a 10 goal difference vs Geelong at home is about right anyway lol. next game against Collingwood will probably be a bit of a better reflection

all that said, was very happy with Ward's game in particular

it felt like our defenders/midfielders running defensively put in very little effort. not sure how much can and should be taken away from simulations of preseason games, although i suspect a 10 goal difference vs Geelong at home is about right anyway lol. next game against Collingwood will probably be a bit of a better reflection

all that said, was very happy with Ward's game in particular
Was going to say this.

I look forward to round 1 where it won't actually be that bad and everyone tries to forget that they melted so hard in a pre-season game.

Was going to say this.

I look forward to round 1 where it won't actually be that bad and everyone tries to forget that they melted so hard in a pre-season game.
yeah im pretty sure the actual results are nearly always meaningless in these games, you're more looking for individual players to nail down roles etc. and then your last hitout will be a bit more of a reflection of the real gameplan and pressure you want to play. this game looked like (for both teams) less than 50% pressure and effort than what you'd give in a normal game. so even if we are getting flogged by 80 points it will look a lot different to what we just watched

CMac like in last weeks intra, made a few too many shitkicks/turnovers under minimal pressure for my liking. He needs to curb these to a minimum otherwise the pressure and scrutiny will come

Ward looks very assured even if some of his kicks don’t go far. He I s very precise even under extreme pressure.

Jeka needs to be given a chance as a forward. He isn’t a rounded player obviously but at least he can kicks it well when he gets it.

I am not sure I noticed enough positives with Worpel, again. A bit of a worry.

Green is pencilled in for Round 1. Or at least should be.

If we are going to play two big blokes, the one resting in the Forward line must stay deep. Otherwise move them to the bench

Nash. I just don’t know it is going to happen

Ward looks a lot more confident then he did last year and now that he's backing himself in more it's showing how good he really is. All the class in the world and an incredible footy brain, won't be surprised to see him finish near the very top of our b&f this year

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maginness played the Worpel role better IMHO.

Taller, stronger, distributes wider.

Don’t use Finn as a tagger.

Let him crack inside as he has the size/strength and tank/spread.

Keeps his feet too and stands up in tackles. Hope he gets a real crack at being a genuine ball winner this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll just ignore him going back in the flight to stop a Geelong mark with 5 minutes to go, shall we?

Maybe we should just change this thread name to 'Scrimshaw - whipping boy 2023.'

First game of the season and here come the lynch mobs.
Are you suggesting he is elite at physicality and toughness?

Cats really capitalized on our mistakes, which you’d expect, and we made a lot.

I’m not going to draw any conclusions on how bad we are going to be from that game though, as it was match simulation with so many players playing changing roles and managed minutes.

CMac was very impressive today. I thought he was a standout alongside Newk and Ward.

Inclusion of Breust will at least improve our forward line, other than him and Moore not sure where our goals are going to come from, with Lewis out, we might need to play Greene deep in the forward line, but he look good where he was playing to today
Wingward look like he playing between wing and half forward

And you're suggesting he's not?

Answer this, if we remove Scrimshaw from the team, do we automatically get better?
Based on the 4 quarters he just played - yes.

He had a very bad game. He needs to improve next week.

He and Sicily had the luxury of playing loose. They both turned it over a fair bit.

We looked bad because quite a few of our mature players played at 50% rat power.

The kids were alright.

We see no light đź’ˇ at tunnel end
You remind me of Geelong 99-03.

A lot of talented players that need time to play a stack of games together.

It's funny because as much as I dislike you guys - and it's respect at the same time - I like what you're building.

You've got some serious young talent.

Anyway, all the best.

Cats really capitalized on our mistakes, which you’d expect, and we made a lot.

I’m not going to draw any conclusions on how bad we are going to be from that game though, as it was match simulation with so many players playing changing roles and managed minutes.

CMac was very impressive today. I thought he was a standout alongside Newk.
I thought MacDonald was good today, just needs to cut out those little chip kicks across ground

Geelong has walked all over us. It's no surprise considering Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Sicily, and Frost appeared to give little to no effort all day, and they're usually the ones setting the standards for intensity. We did this against Collingwood last year as well. I am not worried in the slightest. Will Days (no pun intended) such as this occur? Yes, as they did last year, most notably against St. Kilda and Gold Coast. But I saw improvement even in a disappointing game like this. It was pleasing to see us be competitive at winning the centre clearances. Additionally, there were signs of a potentially successful ruck duo between Reeves and Meek. Finally, Hustwaite exemplified some of the cleanest hands you could see from a player, let alone a youngster.

Last edited:
Ward got into Bruhn a bit in the second. DGB dug into Jack Henry (?) around the ground as well. But none of the senior guys who are supposed to be leading the club. Pathetic effort.
Ease up on calling it pathetic!

Pretty sure both coaches would be obstructing the boys to avoid the niggle.

I though Bruhn went at Ward, Ward stood up for himself but effectively ignored him and watched the ball.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Hawthorn v Cats - match sim - Thursday 23rd Feb, GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back