Game Day Hawthorn v Geelong, 7.40pm, 23 August 2014 @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping that we play ourselves into some form tonight, particularly guys like Lake, Stratton, Mitchell and Hill. Would be good to get a win to break the psychological hold they have over us and boost our belief going into September. A loss leaves us exposed to finishing 4th or 5th (unlikely but possible) so plenty to play for. Individuals like Hale, Sewell, Langford, Simpkin, Spangher and Ceglar have a huge personal stake in the game also so hopefully we will see some finals intensity.

Motlop is a worry as our the usual suspects Duckwood, Hawkins, Enright, Bartel, Duncan and whoever is rucking as they always seem to stomp our rucks.

We look a bit tall and slow down back but maybe Duryea will come in for Spangher as a late change.

Hope to see Rough have an impact even it's only 2-3 goals and would be great if Lewis has another 30+ possession game. But Hodge is the one who really needs to stand up and be counted tonight.

Is it time yet? Gonna be a loooong day. I think there will be at least one late change for Suckling, but then quite a few thought the same about Gunston, but he ultimately played. I'm going to miss the first quarter as I'll be at work/on the bus home but then it's straight back to the room to watch. Might get dinner at half time if I'm not feeling sick.
Hawks by 18, with the team finding some form.

The curse is broken.........Boys you broke it last year......................... enough now

go get Hawkins

Time for another chapter in this magnificent rivalry to be written. Good luck Hawks.

Just had a look at famous streaker Michael Angelow's website. His advice for the Hawks on this one:

Look Geelong's streak of 11 vs Hawthorn has been well-documented. And don't get me wrong, streaking in Home and Away is great and all. But if the Hawks flop tonight keep your pecker up. Because the game in 2 weeks is when it counts - nobody streaks like the Hawks in finals, not even this guy...

NakedRun03.jpg

Just get the job done boys today! It's not just another game or dead rubber at all.
Still a chance of finishing top (hard granted) but still a chance. The mental strength if we have to play the pussies in the Qual. final- don't tell me it won't mean anything.
We need it, it's in our song we play to win now do it lads. Go Hawks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

upload_2014-8-23_9-38-46.jpeg

Here we are again, my friends. Another night of the Motlop proctologist twirl awaits. May we not see it tonight.

I know some are saying that the result matters little, but mark my words: if we win I will taunt my Geelong supporting friend until I am a crumbled mess. First, I shall sing the Hawthorn song until my throat is bloody. Then, I shall text him until my thumbs are gnarled hooks. Then, I shall interpretive dance the win until I fall to the ground in elated exhaustion.

Let's go, Hawks. Let us smash, crash and bash The Greatest Team of Balls. May we, like the hyena, feast on their bloody carcass. May the mere scoreline leave Geelong shell-shocked; the PTSD of this night send them into a state of insanity whence they shall never return. May Geelong shit the bed, both figuratively - and literally, as they're left irrevocably scarred from tonight's game. May we set up a win tonight that is felt through the generations.

'Grandpa Selwood, what happened back on that day in 2014?'
'We don't talk about that, Jimmy. We never talk about that.'
'But grandpa...'
'QUIET JIMMY!' *SLAP*

(I do not mean to suggest that Selwood is to become an abusive drunk. You know, exaggerated for effect and all.)
(I need to lie down.)

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Not concerned in the least about the result here....Just a watch & learn exercise for both players & coaches....Hope Clarko saves all his big moves for the real thing & thereby catches them on the hop WHEN IT MATTERS.....Hope he took the opportunity to have a long hard talk to Ross Lyon re Cat match-ups & how to shut them down, whilst over in the West.

Good side with perhaps only Cyril & Lithers needing to be added for that extra injection of pace, both back & forward....That means 1 or 2 of Sewell, Suckling & Simpkin to miss out, failing any injuries in the interim!

Hoping that we play ourselves into some form tonight, particularly guys like Lake, Stratton, Mitchell and Hill. Would be good to get a win to break the psychological hold they have over us and boost our belief going into September. A loss leaves us exposed to finishing 4th or 5th (unlikely but possible) so plenty to play for. Individuals like Hale, Sewell, Langford, Simpkin, Spangher and Ceglar have a huge personal stake in the game also so hopefully we will see some finals intensity.

Motlop is a worry as our the usual suspects Duckwood, Hawkins, Enright, Bartel, Duncan and whoever is rucking as they always seem to stomp our rucks.

We look a bit tall and slow down back but maybe Duryea will come in for Spangher as a late change.

Hope to see Rough have an impact even it's only 2-3 goals and would be great if Lewis has another 30+ possession game. But Hodge is the one who really needs to stand up and be counted tonight.

A lot of talk about being tall. Looking at the teams, I count 8 talls each. Maybe we are used to being outsized that having equal amounts is not something we are used to.

I think people are just worried about Stokes, Motlop and Christenson's pace. It is not the talls job to stop them. It's our mids and that's were we look slow, but we have done for years.

Duryea will come in for Suckling, not Spangher.

I've got a theory that Spangher and Schoey are competing for the one spot. Schoey was first up last week and wasn't horrible (I thought Gibson was pretty poor to be honest). Spangher's turn this week. The winner of this mini battle gets first crack at September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back