Autopsy Hawthorn v Geelong - Preseason hit and giggle, Feb 17, Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree he's not a great contested Mark. But most of the guys who are, offer little else. But he presents well on the lead and take a lot of marks on his chest. Which indicates his timing and excelleration are very good.

Roughie's role in the forward line in the last few years has been to contest for the ball and bring the ball to the ground, not to take marks.
He rarely marks the ball.

It's worked very well from 2013 onwards.

Except I don't agree that Rough is or ever has been a "genuine" marking target, and definitely not contested marking target.

For a man his size, he doesn't grab the ball with authority as much as he should. He tends to body and try and tap to himself with one hand, or position for a chest mark. Strangely enough on the odd occasion when he DOES try and grab it hard, his grip seems like a vice. Go figure.

Can't wait to see the big fella back. Part of me wishes his first game back was a H&A game so that when he dobs his first goal against the B&*%ers, the crowd and players could legitimately bads&&t crazy. It will be watered down by the pre-season games.

Just watched his 2015 game against the cola swans, and it was a beauty. Lets hope this comeback is comparable.

Roughie's role in the forward line in the last few years has been to contest for the ball and bring the ball to the ground, not to take marks.
He rarely marks the ball.

It's worked very well from 2013 onwards.
2013 Rough was second to Cloke for marks inside 50 with 73
2014 Rough was 5th with 64
2015 Rough was 17th with 46

He was one of only 8 players to be on the top 20 across all three seasons below is the list sorted by total marks inside 50 during that period
upload_2017-2-15_20-53-6.png

The last column is adding goals and goal assists together and dividing by marks inside 50. I know its a pretty useless stat but I don't have the data to go deeper.
What I find interesting is something we probably already all knew, the value of Buddy and Rough to their teams scoring power is potent, as is their consistency over time.

This is also remembering that in 2015 Roughs role changed significantly, I believe as a combination or our need of him in the middle and the fact that the weight he lost in 2015 after having the surgery impacted his ability to play as a contested forward target in the second half of the year.

Can't wait to see the big fella run out Friday night, wish I was down in Tassie for the game

Nah, you'd be back to being as shit as you were in 2015 when Rioli (TRIGGER ALERT!!) bagged 6 against you.

Speaking of spankings, when was the last time Geelong beat Hawthorn by more than 10 goals? Can't recall it happening once in your faux-dynasty years. :cool:
Ah, the banter of two heavyweight rivals is something that I miss throughout Summer. As rivalries go, Cats-Hawks knows no peer. I'm looking forward to this, even if it's a practice match.

It's definitely been a LONG time since we gave your mob a proper touch-up. I do remember a game late in the season of '93 when Gaz Snr. put on a clinic at the city end of KP. They've been few and far between, though.

Here's hoping for some quality matches between our sides again in 2017. I can't see either side dropping too far down the ladder. I expect both sides to be competitive and comfortably make the eight.

Ah, the banter of two heavyweight rivals is something that I miss throughout Summer.
The Hawks vs Cats banter has been going all summer on Bay13 mate. Feel free to join in anytime you like. ;)

The Hawks vs Cats banter has been going all summer on Bay13 mate. Feel free to join in anytime you like. ;)
As a casual observer, I don't see many opportunities to add value in there. I could troll Hawthorn, but then I'd be acting disingenuously as I have too much respect for the rivalry and, as painful as it is to admit, your success. Perhaps I'll venture in before Round 4...

Except I don't agree that Rough is or ever has been a "genuine" marking target, and definitely not contested marking target.

For a man his size, he doesn't grab the ball with authority as much as he should. He tends to body and try and tap to himself with one hand, or position for a chest mark. Strangely enough on the odd occasion when he DOES try and grab it hard, his grip seems like a vice. Go figure.

Can't wait to see the big fella back. Part of me wishes his first game back was a H&A game so that when he dobs his first goal against the B&*%ers, the crowd and players could legitimately bads&&t crazy. It will be watered down by the pre-season games.

No it wont.

Hoping Jaeger and Roughie get through without any injuries (plus rest of the team).

Would be great if we could see a couple young ones make a bid for starting spots. I reckon Lovell will give it a good nudge this preseason :)

PS. New Hawks photos are up in the team list - looking good lads :D

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/football/players-and-coaches/senior

Apologies for intruding. Just had a question on Vickery.

When you drafted him most said it was insurance in case Rough didn't make it back. Rough is back now so is Vickery surplus to requirements? I know Ceglar is out so he probably fills a gap there for the time being but what happens when Ceglar is ready to come back?

Who gets preference? For what he's paid I can't see Vickery slumming it in the twos.

Just interested to hear thoughts on his role now that Rough is back.

When you drafted him most said it was insurance in case Rough didn't make it back. Rough is back now so is Vickery surplus to requirements? I know Ceglar is out so he probably fills a gap there for the time being but what happens when Ceglar is ready to come back?

Who gets preference? For what he's paid I can't see Vickery slumming it in the twos.

I don't think he was signed as insurance for Roughy at all, they're very different players.

Since David Hale retired our ruckman have struggled when played forward. With Ceglar going down Vickery will play the fwd/ruck role that Hale did so well in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he was signed as insurance for Roughy at all, they're very different players.

Since David Hale retired our ruckman have struggled when played forward. With Ceglar going down Vickery will play the fwd/ruck role that Hale did so well in

And when Ceglar comes back?

There was a time when our side had Bailey, Hale, Rough and Franklin in it. I think Clarko can work out a way to utilise two ruckmen and two tall forwards.

Yet to see as captain how much time Rough spends forward.
We move our talls around a lot, Hale was the anchor in the forward line that allowed this I see TV playing a similar role.

As others have said next year we may see Cegs and McEvoy competing for #1 ruck, even Pittonet if he comes on.

Ty is a better forward than all of those three, how he plays is the question, he has the capacity to hold down that role though

We were our best when we had three ready made rucks competing for the two spots. Rotated throughout out the season and it was anybody's guess who would be selected for the GF.

Pittonet is not far away and word is Big Boy might not play another year.

So TV, Ceglar and Pittonet are our likely rotating three for 2018.

Doubt we'd play all three

Last edited:
We were our best when we had three ready made rucks competing for the two spots. Rotated theory out the season and it was anybody's guess who would be selected for the GF.

Pittonet is not far away and word is Big Boy might not play another year.

So TV, Ceglar and Pittonet are our likely rotating three for 2018.

Doubt we'd play all three

Horses for courses, but I'd say TV is more likely to play each week as the best fwd with the best ruck as company.
And I think you are all writing off McEvoy too quickly.
Also I doubt Ceglar will be back this year. Ruckman seem to take longer to recover from those sorts of things.

Horses for courses, but I'd say TV is more likely to play each week as the best fwd with the best ruck as company.
And I think you are all writing off McEvoy too quickly.
Also I doubt Ceglar will be back this year. Ruckman seem to take longer to recover from those sorts of things.
Cegs won't be back - I agree.

Having TV, Cegs, BB and Pitto next year is verging on excessive for mine

Cegs won't be back - I agree.

Having TV, Cegs, BB and Pitto next year is verging on excessive for mine
You need at least 2 rucks and 2 part time rucks on the list.

It's why we have fitz as a rookie

Come on Chappy, you've had plenty of education from us Hawks fans on the Bay regarding Vickery. We obviously needed height up forward, but he wasn't recruited to replace Roughy, he was recruited to play the David Hale role. If he can get 1.5 goals a game (he's kicked 80 goals in his last 44 games btw) and ruck for 5-10 minutes a quarter, he'll have proved his worth.

Also we didn't draft Vickery, we acquired him via Free Agency.

Didn't the 'shtfight' thread get relegated to some strange dark sub-sub-sub-forum? And, are we still winning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn v Geelong - Preseason hit and giggle, Feb 17, Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back