Preview Hawthorn Vs Geelong - Monday 17 April @3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That last bit in bold is interesting, because I think that (if anything) we look slightly worse. It's hard to get a read on it this early in the year, but there's a few things that stick out:
  • Enright is irreplaceable, even at his age 2016 was just a fantastic individual season. He could have won a B&F if it weren't for having two midfield superstars in the side IMO
  • We just don't have any depth through the middle at the moment. Losing Caddy did hurt - because it means that one of Murdoch and Cowan play.
  • While neither of Vardy or Kersten were exactly AFL finals-standard, we're currently playing a CHF who averages zero goals per game so far this year.
  • We have struggled badly against two sides who missed the eight last year (though it's hard to place Melbourne).
On the plus side, our speed out of defence and Hawkins and Menzel are looking far, far better.

I've got a strong feeling that Harry is going to have a breakout game where he kicks 1 goal and 2 behinds!

The reality is that the Bulldogs don't win last years premiership in that farcical pre-finals bye isn't introduced. We had their measure easily last year and they finished 7th on the table.

I'm confident in saying we're the better side.
I'm concerned about the effect that bye is going to have again this year.

Until those teams beat us, they are not better teams than us.
Hi Guys, just dropping to say that in my humble opinion the Cats are definitely a top 4 side, who have a balanced unit who can take it right up to the likes of Crows and GWS. How the cats didn't go on and take out the flag after beating Hawthorn in the semi last year still baffles me greatly???!!!

I think that's an amateur understanding of the selection process. Implementing a blanket selection policy of dropping every player who had one bad game would be a bit silly. I also cannot fathom how this would help instill a strong culture.
What's amateur is your failure to understand the context of my post.

Hi Guys, just dropping to say that in my humble opinion the Cats are definitely a top 4 side, who have a balanced unit who can take it right up to the likes of Crows and GWS. How the cats didn't go on and take out the flag after beating Hawthorn in the semi last year still baffles me greatly???!!!
We lost to a better team.

Cheers.

This game and the first quarter in particular will tell us a lot about our guys. Everybody in the football world knows that the Hawks will be stung by last week and the media drenching they have subsequently copped and they will be hell-bent on ripping into us from the get go. If we aren't ready for that I will be pissed.

At this very moment, you have a case to argue based on their current form against who they have played. Until all teams have played each other, you can't really say that those teams are the best going around. I mean the Western Bulldogs were beaten by a team we beat, yet you're rating them better than the Cats? It's a very subjective viewpoint you have going on here. Maybe try and be a bit objective (ladder position?).

I am being objective. We have last years results, a trade/draft period, preseason games and 3/4 games.

The Bulldogs are a better side than us, it doesn't mean they will beat us but based on past results and their personnel they are better.

The Bulldogs have some structural issues and injury problems (poor rucks, small KPD's, no KPFs) but they have a much stronger list than we do.

Our form has been average/poor and we lack depth. 2 of our wins have been very lucky so the jury is still out.

I just listed the 4 teams that have shown very good form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we a better side though?

Defensively we're weaker and God help us if any of Dangerfield, J.Selwood, Hawkins or Menzel get injured.

I'd say right now the only thing that has improved on last season is a bit better ball movement.
Without ifs and buts, yes.

That last bit in bold is interesting, because I think that (if anything) we look slightly worse. It's hard to get a read on it this early in the year, but there's a few things that stick out:
  • Enright is irreplaceable, even at his age 2016 was just a fantastic individual season. He could have won a B&F if it weren't for having two midfield superstars in the side IMO
  • We just don't have any depth through the middle at the moment. Losing Caddy did hurt - because it means that one of Murdoch and Cowan play.
  • While neither of Vardy or Kersten were exactly AFL finals-standard, we're currently playing a CHF who averages zero goals per game so far this year.
  • We have struggled badly against two sides who missed the eight last year (though it's hard to place Melbourne).
On the plus side, our speed out of defence and Hawkins and Menzel are looking far, far better.
I'm speaking structure wise. We've fixed our deficiencies at both selection and via trade at least.

definitely getting lucky, but have shown that when at our best we are a 'good unit'.

what we have put up so far in the first 3 rounds would be unlikely to trouble the better sides.

after what GC did to hawthorn, i dont think giving them a fair hiding would prove all that much in any event.
I think the Afl is becoming slowly more like the rugby league. Due to the intensity (apart from a couple of real shitters) every team has some sort of chance against anyone most weeks.
Some of the games in these first few weeks I've never seen footy played as flat out for as long. (Particularly at Docklands).
I honestly think it's coming down to momentum and who's smarter with it when they have it. Bit like league with runs of possession etc.
I think we've done that really well and that's why we've won. Plus a little bit of luck.

Nothing wrong with Corey's last year, over twenty possessions a game, and despite playing quite a bit down back still managed to be our fourth best clearance player for the season, could have gone around again based on his form.

And with all three, who was knocking down the door to replace them, seems a bit pointless dropping players (unless they're absolutely spudding it up, which they weren't) if there's nobody better to take their place.
I thought at the time that Corey went on a year too long - he just lost the consistency that he used to have, and didn't quite have the agility etc to be played out of position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back