Here's a question for you Hawthorn greatest team of all backers.

Remove this Banner Ad

You managed to write all that and not make a single relevant point. Hawk fans are conveniently distracting themselves with the 'if you're good enough you'll win' argument whilst ignoring the basic concept that playing at your home ground is nevertheless still an advantage.

It doesn't matter that other interstate teams have won there before. It's like saying one guy gets into a fight with two other guys. Even if the one guy is good enough to beat them, there was still an advantage to the two guys.

Hawthorn fans are essentially arguing that home ground advantage doesn't exist.

I wonder what happened to it?
You managed to read all that and not understand the points I made

And I think people like you should take your bat and ball and go home. You don't like it? Then either build a stadium that houses 100,000+ people and stake a claim to the GF, or relocate to Melbourne and play your home games at the MCG. This is yet another one of many ungracious threads that Hawks fans have had to endure with dickheads trying to discredit our flag. It's a sad forum sometimes. Hawthorn have just won 3 flags in a row. How come the other MCG tenants haven't done that?

The "home ground advantage" didn't seem to help us much in the 2012 GF against Sydney. Why? Because Sydney played better than us on the day, that's why. THAT'S how you win a flag, you get out there on GF day and just do it. The best team will win the GF on the beach.

If you recall, the Hawks had a home ground at Waverley, but the AFL decided we should move. Clubs migrated from MCG to new stadium Docklands which meant the Hawks had to find a new home at the MCG. We also play a lot of our home games in Tasmania, but people tend to forget that.

There once was a time when people thought flags were won by the better team, but that seems to be the very last thing you ever hear these days. For what it's worth, I think West Coast could win the flag next year, but if playing at the MCG is too much them to handle, then maybe they are wasting their time.

I don't think we can do 4 flags in a row, and if we don't, I'm going to in here sprouting off all sorts of garbage as to why the premier didn't deserve to win the flag. Seems to be all the rage these days.
Well said. I don't know how many more times you can make a point without it being listened to. At the end of the day, the best side on the day wins, end of story.

And I think people like you should take your bat and ball and go home. You don't like it? Then either build a stadium that houses 100,000+ people and stake a claim to the GF, or relocate to Melbourne and play your home games at the MCG. This is yet another one of many ungracious threads that Hawks fans have had to endure with dickheads trying to discredit our flag. It's a sad forum sometimes. Hawthorn have just won 3 flags in a row. How come the other MCG tenants haven't done that?

Take our bat and ball and go home?
Home is the AFL competition to my team. we've been in it just as long as your mob. Previously your team played in a competition called the VFL, it still exists. If you don't want to be part of a National completion , then go home to the VFL.

If you read what I was saying, it shouldn't matter what the stadium size or how much money could be made in determining where the GF is played. It should, for one game of the year be decided by which team earns the right. As long as it isn't, you will always have these arguments.

100000 seat stadium has nothing to do with what i'm saying!
If I follow the Perth Glory, Western Force, Perth Scorchers, Perth Wildcats, I know that if we finish on top and win early finals, I will get to see my team play the GF in WA. Because the penultimate game of the completion is rewarded to the deserving team.

Under the AFL and your system, if the scorchers and 36er''s make the final this year, the game should be played at the MCG. Cricket Australia know that would hurt the competition so they don't do it. The current system of the GF having to be played at the MCG is starting to hurt the competition and the AFL need to start considering options for the benefit of the game.

Sooner or later we may see a non tenant top finishing team loose a GF by a goal or two to some tenant team that finishes in the bottom half of the 8. How unfair will that look.

As I said, if Geelong finish higher than West Coast next year and we play them in the GF, I would rather play them at Kardinia Park than the MCG, as I know that if we win no one could question us. Just the same as if Hawthorn had beaten West Coast at Subi this year, there would be no questions.

It doesn't exist
You can't honestly believe there's no such thing as home ground advantage in sport.
You managed to read all that and not understand the points I made
You didn't make any points. You just went on about things that happened in the past and somehow that's meant to be an argument for how there's no advantage to playing on your home ground. There's no correlation there except for the one you created.

I agree that if you're good enough you'll win, BUT being good enough in the example of interstate sides playing a MCG tenant on the MCG includes being good enough to overcome that disadvantage.

You managed to write all that and not make a single relevant point. Hawk fans are conveniently distracting themselves with the 'if you're good enough you'll win' argument whilst ignoring the basic concept that playing at your home ground is nevertheless still an advantage.

It doesn't matter that other interstate teams have won there before. It's like saying one guy gets into a fight with two other guys. Even if the one guy is good enough to beat them, there was still an advantage to the two guys.

Hawthorn fans are essentially arguing that home ground advantage doesn't exist.

I wonder what happened to it?

There's all different types of Advantages just don't think they need to be used to discredit success like many do. Hawks were convincing beyond the home ground advantage.
Cats benefited from 3 father son players that I know of.
Ablett ( one of the best ever )
Scarlett ( possibly best defender of AFL era )
Hawkins

Was that an advantage? Would Geelong have won 3 premierships without their advantages? I personally don't hold that against them.
Going by what others seem to suggest about the top team deserving the home ground, Hawks early that then in 2013. 2014, 2015 the margins were to big to put it down to the venue. Hawks also went 2:1 in the west

You can't honestly believe there's no such thing as home ground advantage in sport.

You didn't make any points. You just went on about things that happened in the past and somehow that's meant to be an argument for how there's no advantage to playing on your home ground. There's no correlation there except for the one you created.

I agree that if you're good enough you'll win, BUT being good enough in the example of interstate sides playing a MCG tenant on the MCG includes being good enough to overcome that disadvantage.
There is no home ground advantage. If you're good enough you'll win anywhere. I mentioned cases in the past because they're relevant to today, proving that a home ground advantage does not exist. It just doesn't.

By the time you reach the GF, you're above the mere notion of "home ground advantage". You're one of the two best teams in the AFL, you're too well prepared and disciplined, and such factors are basically irrelevant. Sure, it was a foregone conclusion watching a few lower placed teams giving easy points to the Dockers and Eagles in the last rounds, denying us the home final which we threw away with an insipid performance against Port (who travelled to the MCG a week or two after we won at Subi). However, we know the reason we lost the QF had nothing to do with venue...

Predicting West Coast's future (as an interstate team with a big travel commitment) in a given season always revolves around experience, which then translates into wins on the road. When that particular team is rebuilding, they never win after a plane trip, but once that away win ledger starts going well above 50%, you know they're a real chance for a flag. They have to - otherwise they can't get high enough on the ladder to contest, which is a difference to some other teams. Once they make the GF though, they've paid their dues and there's nothing stopping them from taking it out...

Home ground advantage through the season for everyone in the comp - of course it exists.
Home ground advantage in the GF - no such thing. Proven by the events of the last 25 years - 8-3 to the interstaters until we made it 8-6 (without us at all, it's 7-2)...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So watching them beat the Minor Premiers in their homeground didn't do anything for you? Besides, unfortunately the Eagles played awful footy on the day of GF, they would have lost to almost any team that played at their best. Same for Sydney and Freo before them. Intimidation factor is huge and only a great team will do that to you. Sydney beat them in 2012. This notion of MCG advantage is stupid. Ever since 2000 only Essendon, Geelong, Pies and Hawks have won the big one from Victoria. There was also the big period between 2001 and 2006 where there was no Victorian winners. Geelong mustered up one of the all time great teams and so did Hawks and that is what it took for a Victorian team to win it. Collingwood had a good gameplan and it worked for a couple of years but we dropped right off after that. Collingwood beat Brisbane in a qualifying final but couldn't do it in the big one, both games at the MCG too. You win some and you lose some, that is just how it is.

There is no home ground advantage. If you're good enough you'll win anywhere. I mentioned cases in the past because they're relevant to today, proving that a home ground advantage does not exist. It just doesn't.
"If you're good enough you'll win anywhere" - that concept only exists if there is such a thing as home ground advantage, otherwise it would be a redundant saying wouldn't it?
Home ground advantage in the GF - no such thing. Proven by the events of the last 25 years - 8-3 to the interstaters until we made it 8-6 (without us at all, it's 7-2)...
That's not actually proof of anything, except that those interstate teams were good enough to overcome the home ground advantage where relevant.

The real question is:

Would west Coast have made the grand final if they didn't have their designer home ground gimmee games and pet umpires for fifty percent of their games. Hawthorn get 4 home games a season. West Coast get 12. When Hawthorn play at the MCG it the same ground the majority of their opponents play at all year, hardly an advantage.

Thanks to the OP for making another empty troll thread for us to respond to. Just beautiful. Of course they would have achieved the threepeat, with the exception of Kennedy, who held frawley goalless in a mammoth effort the rest of the eagles didn't turn up. We beat them earlier at their home and we thrashed the swans in Sydney by 89 points. Would have loved to play the GF there. Freo? Can;t playy can't score. If I wanted to watch a bunch of men struggling to score for 2 hours I'd watch a bunch of fat bald men on a pubcrawl.

"If you're good enough you'll win anywhere" - that concept only exists if there is such a thing as home ground advantage, otherwise it would be a redundant saying wouldn't it?

That's not actually proof of anything, except that those interstate teams were good enough to overcome the home ground advantage where relevant.
You're grasping at straws, saying that you're good enough to win anywhere does not imply a home ground advantage, it means just that! What do you want me to say? If you are good enough you are good enough?

After all is said and done, it's the best two teams of a season, so it really shouldn't matter where it's played. You do realise that if you played the ground in Perth you'd have the same result? And also that the MCG is the only ground capable of accommodating for the real reason a grand final is held? That reason is corporate.

Ok then, your flags against Port Adelaide and St Kilda are lesser flags because you had a significant home ground advantage.

Is that the game you really want to play?

Seriously?

Home ground advantage is pretty obvious - GF needs to travel if we want equalization.
While we're on the equalisation path the AFL should probably start by not buying premierships for Northern state teams and stop giving Sydney soft draws year after year.
Sydney lost the 2014 Grandfinal by the home ground disadvantage, the kitchen sink and atleast 50 points.

Home ground advantage does not equate to 10 goal thrashings ... Would have been the same outcome regardless where the game was played

Worth noting, prior to the Hawks 3-Peat ... Interstate clubs were 8-2 with GF wins at the MCG .. Didn't stop the Brions, Camrys, etc

Sour grapes if you ask me ...

How many goal advantage are we talking here?
Hard to quantify, but when one team plays on one ground 15 times a year and the other about three, it's an advantage.

Improving access to the mcg for all teams should be an afl priority imo.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a question for you Hawthorn greatest team of all backers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back