Waite_30

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea, Fener, Atletico
A few times today he let players shorter than him take basically uncontested marks. If we use him on the ball, we could get the most out of him.

I agree. He has no defensive bone or muscle in his body. Too man ytimes today he stood and watched for example in the fourth quarter he watched Thomas take a mark which he could have easily spoiled. Hopefully Ratten will see that Houlihan is not a defender and play him somewhere else.

I watched Ryan closely today he is very lazy footballer who has no second effort and is led to the ball to often.

I would like to see Houlihan play HF were I have always said is where he belongs.If he has a lengthy run there and still dissapoints then look to trade him and do so while he has any currency.

Yeah hes a dud lets be serious, he shouldn't be there any-more completely lazy and useless

Did you just take up following footy this year mate. Houlihan isn't called silky for nothing. He has some of the best disposal by foot in our club, he can do brilliant things. There wouldn't be two people who i would give the ball to before him with a goal to win the game.

People don't watch games objectively, they see Houlihan as soft, well yeah he is, but Bradley was softer, he was the biggest shirker going around, but thats not what people looked for.

Strawberry pancakes is back and mods need to keep on top of this.

People saying he needs to be dropped are not sound posters. Did anyone watch bower the other week, are you kidding me. the guy crapped his pants every time anyone came near him, was throwing it in the air out of FEAR.

Last year Nick Stevens was getting caned on these forums, he had a 44 possession game and pumped came on here and bagged him.

Hoops was terrible today. Has to be played as a half forward who pushes up the ground a lot. That way he can use his skill to pinpoint passes into the forward 50. When he gets a defensive matchup he likes, he can be very useful at shutting down a player, but if a matchup doesn't look good, he has to be moved straight away. Sometimes he can shut them down, other times he's shocking. How Thomas took that contested mark in the 50 is beyond me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have always said that Hoops is a HFF...

He is to soft to be a defender, but put him in the attacking half, and he suddenly becomes a football god.

He needs to be playing on the flank with the intention of dropping back to the wing if the wing needs to go back into defence... then he can be the link guy into our forward line with some accurate passing or popping up with some freak goals.

Dale Thomas managed to kick two goals on him today. Houlihan managed 20 possessions running out of defence. In the end Thomas probably won the duel but only just. Since Houlihan has never claimed to be Wayne Carey in the air I'm not sure what people are really complaining about, I'm sure McLeod getting beaten in the air from time to time too and he's the best in the business as a rebounding defender. It's unfortunate but it's the price you have to pay sometimes for some quality run out of defense.

Thomas beat him pretty badly today. And when the ball is there to be spoiled in a marking contest, he just doesn't seem to have the know-how to get the job done. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was shopped around at the end of the year.
Do you think we'd be playing him in defense if we're trying to maximise his trade value? How many time have I heard people here say that every year and every year I hear them say it again! Funny that! Why was he kept on Thomas all day if he was beaten so badly? Do we need a new coach because he doesn't seem to be playing our players to their strengths any more than his predecessor and keeping them on all day when they're badly beaten, which anybody here can see but our coach? How many goals did he actually kick on him? I guess you missed the spoils or the time he outmarked Thomas and got crunched... soft effort that one! And the 2 perfect passes to Fev. Hope the other clubs didn't so we can get maximum trade value for him!

Dale Thomas managed to kick two goals on him today. Houlihan managed 20 possessions running out of defence. In the end Thomas probably won the duel but only just. Since Houlihan has never claimed to be Wayne Carey in the air I'm not sure what people are really complaining about.

He doesn't have to be Wayne Carey in the air, but time and time again he is beaten by someone of a very similar height that he should at least be able to get a fist on the ball.

We have to do one of 2 things with Hoops. Either, move him up forward, or trade him.

Why we persist with him as a defender is just beyond me.

He doesn't have to be Wayne Carey in the air, but time and time again he is beaten by someone of a very similar height that he should at least be able to get a fist on the ball.

We have to do one of 2 things with Hoops. Either, move him up forward, or trade him.

Coz we dont have a rock solid defence yet which would allow us to play him up forward where he belongs

Why don't tell us who was going to do a better job instead of constantly criticising and acting like you know more than our coach.:rolleyes:

Why don't tell us who was going to do a better job instead of constantly criticising and acting like you know more than our coach.:rolleyes:

If it was up to me, I would have debuted Austin about 4 weeks ago, and played him accross the half back line. He has been killing it in the VFL, and I really think he has deserved a promotion.

Also, if Anderson wasn't injured, I suspect he would have also been a chance to play back there as well.

And, if you want a 3rd name, how about Gibbs? Seeing as though Thomas goes up to the wing, and doesn't normally get closer than 30m out, he could have been another option as well.

And, FWIW, did I say I know more than the coach. I'm giving MY OPINION, you know, those things that everyone have.

If it was up to me, I would have debuted Austin about 4 weeks ago, and played him accross the half back line. He has been killing it in the VFL, and I really think he has deserved a promotion.

Also, if Anderson wasn't injured, I suspect he would have also been a chance to play back there as well.

And, if you want a 3rd name, how about Gibbs? Seeing as though Thomas goes up to the wing, and doesn't normally get closer than 30m out, he could have been another option as well.

And, FWIW, did I say I know more than the coach. I'm giving MY OPINION, you know, those things that everyone have.
When was Thomas on the wing? Spent most of the game 30m from goal.

Anderson IS injured so don't even mention it.

Austin isn't in the side and how can you play a first gamer on Thomas?

Gibbs? Everyone here has been screaming for him not to be given those jobs and you want to give it to him again? How many goals did Farmer kick on him and you're screaming that Houlihan had one kicked on him and one due to Bower giving away a free.

Should we have played Bower on him so he can have 3 goals kicked on him like Nick Davis and then let Houlihan take him and keep him goalless? Forgotten that already?

Still waiting for you to tell us who would have done a better job. Looks like it's again Houlihan to take on all the dirty jobs on all the good players like he does week in week out and expose his weaknesses and not get played to his strengths and get great appreciation from 'supporters' like you- very quick to criticize if he does one thing wrong, never any praise for doing anything right- which must never happen going by this forum! You're all acting like Thomas annihilated him but for the 2 goals, Houlihan had 2 assists and 3 more possessions (which includes a few backwards in the dying minutes) and if he was beaten so badly why was he left on him all day? I can think of a number of good things he did today- including taking a courageous mark and getting crunched- which according to everyone here he never does and is too soft to do things like that- but as usual he gets no praise.:rolleyes:

Guys guys.

Houlihan can defend - how quickly you all forget his efforts on Aaron Davey a few weeks back against Melbourne.

Yes, he screws up at times, but you have to take the good with the bad with Houlihan.

I personally would like to see him up forward, but atm we just need someone to plug that hole until somebody can come up from the VFL and prove that they're capable to take that position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Houlihan is NOT a defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Back