How can AFL increase game attendance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood should get Alex Davis in the cheer squad with **** out, I'll barrack for them if that happens.

No **** are worth supporting Collingwood...not even as a joke.

It added 10K.
Those AFL and MCC members said giddy up, no way am I missing this campaigner boo fest.
Characters/controversy increase the crowd.

Well, there's no way of knowing for sure, so I guess we'll agree to disagree. As much as the likes of Ryan Crowley, Steve Johnson and Brian Lake are good players, I would imagine that the only people that have gone out of their way to watch any of them specifically play are people that know them personally.

A similar instance, without the hatred, occurred in the Geelong v Essendon game last year. Did I absolutely have to go to see Chapman in action? Yes. Would I have gone anyway? Almost certainly.

The dip happened primarily in Melbourne (ridiculous scheduling, Essendon, and form drops for Carlton and Collingwood), with some short term pain in the expansion teams. In 3 seasons time the league average is going to skyrocket when Perth get a 60,000 stadium, and I see GC having more and more sell outs as they play finals. Even GWS will find more supporters when they start playing finals. Sydney loves a winner.

The main reason I've noticed people say keeps them away from games are:

Cost of food and drink
Cost of food and drink; and
Cost of food and drink.

Sort that sh*t out, no more talking about it, no more saying "we hear you", sort it out. If needs be use your influence to get legislation passed making it illegal to mark up the price of a pie/beer more than 10%higher than RRP at a sporting event. Just get it done.

Grand final club ticket ballots should be weighted towards who went to the most games. That might make members go to the game more

1. Is that home games or games overall?

2. Doesn't that mean that AFL supporters from Northern Territory and Tasmania are shunned from Grand Final tickets?

1. Is that home games or games overall?

2. Doesn't that mean that AFL supporters from Northern Territory and Tasmania are shunned from Grand Final tickets?
Home games, but you could sort it by location. I don't think a member living in Melbourne who goes to 5 games should have the same rights as a member on the same package who goes to all the games. If you make that a condition i think you might see an increase of up to 10k in some games

Home games, but you could sort it by location. I don't think a member living in Melbourne who goes to 5 games should have the same rights as a member on the same package who goes to all the games. If you make that a condition i think you might see an increase of up to 10k in some games

So what about a Northern Territory based Hawthorn supporter? If they made the Grand Final, they shouldn't be able to get tickets as easy as those who attended all the home games?

To be honest, I don't think there's much wrong with attendances at games ............... they dipped a couple of years ago, but seem to be building again ........... an average attendance of over 33k in a country of about 23m people is very good, especially when compared to the other major "football" leagues around the world.

USA (pop 320m) ............ NFL averaged 68397 in 2013
Germany (pop 83m) ....... Bundesliga averaged 43502 in 2013-14
England (pop 53m) ........ Premier League averaged 36691 in 2013-14
Spain (pop 47m) ........... La Liga averaged 26702 in 2013-14
Italy (pop 61m) ............ Serie A averaged 23385 in 2013-14
France (pop 64m) ......... Ligue 1 averaged 21155 in 2013-14

And of course, the NRL averaged just 16798 in 2014.

Cost of food and drink
Cost of food and drink.
Sort that sh*t out, no more talking about it, no more saying "we hear you", sort it out. If needs be use your influence to get legislation passed making it illegal to mark up the price of a pie/beer more than 10%higher than RRP at a sporting event. Just get it done.
This.
I tried to make this point earlier but got shot down by some sandwich-packing, lunch box carrying, backpack wearing tea-totallers!
I love going to games with my 2 sons, often with a mate and his 2 kids to any footy. Now as it turns out the Hawks don't play in QLD this year, but if they lowered the cost of food or drink (or permitted eskys complete with a couple of beers) then we'd be more than happy to watch anyone at the Gabba or Metricon....

Would help if Carlton and Richmond weren't perennially rubbish! Price increases, corporate ties, the MCC members and time slots of games have been an issue.

Sydney siders only support winners so the AFL better ensue the Swans stay relevant because AFL is doomed in NSW if they are counting on the GWS debarcle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would help if Carlton and Richmond weren't perennially rubbish! Price increases, corporate ties, the MCC members and time slots of games have been an issue.

Sydney siders only support winners so the AFL better ensue the Swans stay relevant because AFL is doomed in NSW if they are counting on the GWS debarcle.

Hey, we're trying. 2 finals campaigns in a row mightn't mean much to you, but we're getting there.

To be honest, I don't think there's much wrong with attendances at games ............... they dipped a couple of years ago, but seem to be building again ........... an average attendance of over 33k in a country of about 23m people is very good, especially when compared to the other major "football" leagues around the world.

USA (pop 320m) ............ NFL averaged 68397 in 2013
Germany (pop 83m) ....... Bundesliga averaged 43502 in 2013-14
England (pop 53m) ........ Premier League averaged 36691 in 2013-14
Spain (pop 47m) ........... La Liga averaged 26702 in 2013-14
Italy (pop 61m) ............ Serie A averaged 23385 in 2013-14
France (pop 64m) ......... Ligue 1 averaged 21155 in 2013-14

And of course, the NRL averaged just 16798 in 2014.

Not a fair analysis. Soccer stadiums are much smaller because the pitch is much smaller. Most English Premier League teams play on a ground with capacity of under 30,000 (well under in some cases). Only Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Newcastle and Man U have stadiums 45k+ and then none anywhere near the size of the MCG. This significantly impacts attendances.

EDIT: Added in Newcastle!

Last edited:
Not a fair analysis. Soccer stadiums are much smaller because the pitch is much smaller. Most English Premier League teams play on a ground with capacity of under 30,000 (well under in some cases). Only Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, and Man U have stadiums 45k+ and then none anywhere near the size of the MCG. This significantly impacts attendances.

Newcastle actually have the 4th largest stadium 52k

The dip happened primarily in Melbourne (ridiculous scheduling, Essendon, and form drops for Carlton and Collingwood), with some short term pain in the expansion teams. In 3 seasons time the league average is going to skyrocket when Perth get a 60,000 stadium, and I see GC having more and more sell outs as they play finals. Even GWS will find more supporters when they start playing finals. Sydney loves a winner.

Cost of food and drink
Cost of food and drink.

But at the cinema, the beach, music festivals and so on it's ok?

You're at the footy for three hours tops. I have no idea why so many people feel they need to eat/drink in that time.

Not a fair analysis. Soccer stadiums are much smaller because the pitch is much smaller. Most English Premier League teams play on a ground with capacity of under 30,000 (well under in some cases). Only Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Newcastle and Man U have stadiums 45k+ and then none anywhere near the size of the MCG. This significantly impacts attendances.

EDIT: Added in Newcastle!

When liverpool were here, it was one of their biggest attendances ever. Its a fair comparison

But at the cinema, the beach, music festivals and so on it's ok?

You're at the footy for three hours tops. I have no idea why so many people feel they need to eat/drink in that time.

We are discussing reasons for popularity, not our personal taste.

I think coldplay make records which are all intro and no song, but im not denying they are popular

Why would they make the game shorter? :confused:
It's too long.
Young people have short attention span.
Some people are happy coming at 3/4 time, free admission, if it's close, get some atmosphere etc.

When liverpool were here, it was one of their biggest attendances ever. Its a fair comparison

It's a fair comparison only in proving that English Premier League is more popular in Australia than AFL as the average attendance for a EPL game was 95,000. So the AFL should shut up shop and we just host EPL games :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

How can AFL increase game attendance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back