Fixture How can Swans host a local final at a smaller stadium, but Geelong can’t?

Remove this Banner Ad

It can physically change over in a day, they just need to push the seating on the sidelines back to make room for AFL wings. They used to do back to back nights when it was in steady AFL use:

However, notice how there is grass under where the rectangle mode wing seating goes? There's no way they are maintaining turf there these days when it's only used for rugby codes and soccer. It's probable they haven't wheeled the seating back since 2022 and, before that, about 2016.

When Tom Harley said in 2022 that it takes about a month to get ready, I assume that's what he was referring to:

"Accor Stadium was reconfigured to an AFL field for round one this year, and it takes about a month to get it to that to standard as well."

See my post above, I saw a Reel on this last week with someone noticing there appeared to be grass under the extended seating area.

I saw a conspiracy theory video on Reels of a dude at whatever the stadium is called pointing out grass beneath the extended seating section (that makes it into a rectangle for the rugby) and saying that it normally isn't like that (i.e that it's normally not grassed under the extension section) - maybe an insurance policy and they have grass down for footy just in case? Or maybe the grass is always there I dunno.
It's all a bit vague at the moment about whether the AFL could even book the venue, if their contracts even allow it, but just two years ago we hosted literally the biggest club in a prelim at the SCG. With Collingwood and Essendon missing the finals, and Carlton (I'm sorry) not likely to make it past week one, I can't see a scenario where either Sydney or GWS would be forced out of their preferred stadium this year.

If GWS end up hosting Collingwood in a prelim, I could see the AFL scheduling it at either the SCG or Accor if the NRL don't have it booked. But obviously that can't happen this year

If it's based on this year's finals series, the thread title should be updated to "How can Swans host a local final at a smaller stadium, but Geelong and the Western Bulldogs can’t?"

In the past 16 years there's been 1 final at Marvel and 1 in Geelong, both in weekends with 4 Vic finals. Unless there's another weekend with 4 Victorian finals, if the AFL are to ever allow Geelong play a final at GMHBA, they must at the same time start allowing Marvel tenants to host home finals too. If anything Marvel tenants (excluding Essendon and Carlton) have a greater claim to that based on it being a bigger stadium than GMHBA, and the MCG not being a part time home venue like it is for the Cats.

Geelong should be banding together with North, St Kilda and the Bulldogs to lobby for this right, not going it alone.

The AFLs rule back in the day (if it was one) was that finals had to be played at the largest stadium within the state, hence why we played there but it is more or less the NRLs ground now.

Long story short it was Sydney’s version of VFL Park, Swans fans mostly hated going there.

However in saying that, if the shoe where on the other foot and GWS were the home side I wouldn’t be against us playing a final there.

Would be interesting to see what would happen if that scenario eventuated.

We did play a round 1 game there not long ago (22,23?) and it got around 50k IIRC

If it's based on this year's finals series, the thread title should be updated to "How can Swans host a local final at a smaller stadium, but Geelong and the Western Bulldogs can’t?"

In the past 16 years there's been 1 final at Marvel and 1 in Geelong, both in weekends with 4 Vic finals. Unless there's another weekend with 4 Victorian finals, if the AFL are to ever allow Geelong play a final at GMHBA, they must at the same time start allowing Marvel tenants to host home finals too. If anything Marvel tenants (excluding Essendon and Carlton) have a greater claim to that based on it being a bigger stadium than GMHBA, and the MCG not being a part time home venue like it is for the Cats.

Geelong should be banding together with North, St Kilda and the Bulldogs to lobby for this right, not going it alone.
IMO a Marvel game will only happen if

- there are 4 games in Melbourne on the first week

- the away team is GWS or GC

Not sure if there an official rule on this, but it seems likely that the Swans host their final against the Giants this week at the SCG instead of Homebush.

Yes, Homebush isn’t a great ground compared to the SCG - but surely this is a fantastic day for the code in NSW and a tremendous opportunity to get nearly 75k to a local derby?

Historically, I thought the “rule” with Geelong was that they were unlikely to ever host a final against a Vic team at GMHBA as it would prevent too many local fans from attending.

Seems like yet another bizarre example of incompetent management from the AFL. More importantly, I’d quite rightfully be miffed as a Cats fan.
Homebush is an NRL ground now. There are two games scheduled there this weekend - it is not available.

IMO a Marvel game will only happen if

- there are 4 games in Melbourne on the first week

- the away team is GWS or GC
Perhaps, but my point would then be - if so, that should also be the case for Geelong.

If anything the rules should be looser for Marvel sides due to added capacity, but that's never really discussed.

Not sure if there an official rule on this, but it seems likely that the Swans host their final against the Giants this week at the SCG instead of Homebush.

Yes, Homebush isn’t a great ground compared to the SCG - but surely this is a fantastic day for the code in NSW and a tremendous opportunity to get nearly 75k to a local derby?

Historically, I thought the “rule” with Geelong was that they were unlikely to ever host a final against a Vic team at GMHBA as it would prevent too many local fans from attending.

Seems like yet another bizarre example of incompetent management from the AFL. More importantly, I’d quite rightfully be miffed as a Cats fan.
You’ve got to love how you make out that this is only a Geelong issue, when last time I looked the 3 Marvel tenants who only play home games there also play their home finals at the MCG.

Even though they generally only play 2 home and away games at the MCG each H&A season, while Geelong play there about 6 times.

So not only are Geelong not the only team in this boat, but it’s much less of an issue for them, given they play there so much more than the Marvel teams.

What it does highlight though is just how much the Geelong folks complain about it, compared to the Marvel ones.

So much so that many, like you, think they’re the only team in this boat.

Especially astounding given that the very team you are playing this week, is playing their home final at your home ground, rather than at theirs.

The mind boggles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your mistake is expecting integrity and consistency from the AFL.

But we play better at the MCG in recent years than Kardinia anyway so you won't hear too much of it.
The MCG is Geelong's home ground as well and you can't expect to play a final on an oval that's not symmetrical and no one knows.

The MCG is Geelong's home ground as well and you can't expect to play a final on an oval that's not symmetrical and no one knows.
It's fine, we've won the most Grand Finals at the MCG this century. You'd have to combine all the big MCG Melbourne clubs in Collingwood(2), Richmond(2), and Carlton(0) just to equal our total. We make it work regardless.

Even if they did have a contract. NRL would have first preference. Which occurred in 2012 when the AFL had to schedule the Swans game for the Friday Prelim when the Hawks as the top of the ladder team should have been given the Friday Prelim leading to the longer lead into the GF.

You’ve got to love how you make out that this is only a Geelong issue, when last time I looked the 3 Marvel tenants who only play home games there also play their home finals at the MCG.

Even though they generally only play 2 home and away games at the MCG each H&A season, while Geelong play there about 6 times.

So not only are Geelong not the only team in this boat, but it’s much less of an issue for them, given they play there so much more than the Marvel teams.

What it does highlight though is just how much the Geelong folks complain about it, compared to the Marvel ones.

So much so that many, like you, think they’re the only team in this boat.

Especially astounding given that the very team you are playing this week, is playing their home final at your home ground, rather than at theirs.

The mind boggles.
It actually highlights just how infrequently the Marvel tenants have hosted MCG teams for home finals since their stadium was built, actually. Mostly because they aren't consistently contending for premierships.

Look how many top 2 finishes there have been between St Kilda, Footscray, NM, Essendon and Carlton since Marvel was built. Not many.

When Bulldogs and St Kilda contended for premierships 2008-2010 era there was just one (flag possible) side getting real home finals: Collingwood. Hawthorn in 2008.

The AFLs rule back in the day (if it was one) was that finals had to be played at the largest stadium within the state, hence why we played there but it is more or less the NRLs ground now.

Long story short it was Sydney’s version of VFL Park, Swans fans mostly hated going there.

However in saying that, if the shoe where on the other foot and GWS were the home side I wouldn’t be against us playing a final there.

Would be interesting to see what would happen if that scenario eventuated.

We did play a round 1 game there not long ago (22,23?) and it got around 50k IIRC
GWS held their home derby there in 2022 and it got a rather miserable 25k, which is why they are not doing it any more and are instead looking at the SCG for hosting big non-derby games:

The Giants could soon play “blockbuster games” at the SCG, the home ground of their bitter rivals, with club officials couching the idea with the AFL and powerbrokers to grow the franchise’s fanbase.

The Weekend Australian understands members of the Giants hierarchy have also sounded out Venues NSW about the possibility of accommodating big matches at the SCG.

4 flags in the last 61 years is not that hot.
Why are you using 61 years as a benchmark? Most of those years include amateur league stuff with zones and buying flags.

21st century flags won at the MCG:

Big Melbourne clubs:
Essendon: 0
Carlton: 0
Collingwood: 2
Richmond: 2
=4

Bumpkin Geelong clubs:
Geelong: 4
=4

MCG is our cheat ground, one of many. We work with what we have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture How can Swans host a local final at a smaller stadium, but Geelong can’t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back