How do the Bulldogs beat St Kilda next week?

Remove this Banner Ad

It amazes me that no matter what the thread it always turns into something about the pies.

This thread (mainly thanks to doggy style or whatever his user name is) from how the dogs beat the saints to collingwoods season being wasted.

Steady on people the prelim has not even been played an won. Anything can happen next week and while I dont think the pies are in a granny I reckon we are an even money chance so write us off at your own peril.

saints never win big.. cant remember many games where they have won by 30+ pts this yr

Check out Rounds 19, 20 this year for a start.

There is one way the Doggies can beat the Saints, same way any other team can....fast ball movement.

Just not sure the Doggies are in the form needed to ping the ball around though.

This is the end of the line for the Doggies. St Kilda are perfectly placed for the flag, because Coll v Geel will be bashing each other shitless next week while St Kilda probably can put the cue in the rack after 3/4 time.

Just like last year, whilst Saints and Dogs were beating the tripe out of each other, Cats were in warm down before half time.

with leg speed, thats the saints weakness.

if they try their possession game, they'll get worn down.

if they just ping it long and give barry and brad a chance, then they'll be a fair dinkum chance.

saints hate teams who play old style footy.

if they try and play possession footy they'll get smashed in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

essendon and blues tooks their chances, kicked it long and gave their forwards a chance before we could block up the D, same as the dogs did in the pre-season cup.

fortunately most coaches are too stupid to realise this.

saints had a hard game in week 1 of the finals and were physically exhausted at the end.

our game plan takes more energy than most other game plans, and we needed the rest more than the cats. also the saints are weaker than last year as well.

Also as good as the dogs are, they are weaker than last year through injury and the as bad as the pies were last year against the saints and cats, they are a stronger outfit by far than last year.

The cats are 1% or 2% off their form last year and the pies are 5% or more better.

I still think we should be firm favourites against the doggies, but nothing is out of the question.

the pies v cats should be the final that is harder, but that said, the cats showed fantastic endurance, their last quarter showed that they were still physically fit running down a slightly resurgent dockers.

the first quarter was classic cats, but it did look in the second and third quarters that the cats were either resting or tired. The fourth quarter showed they were NOT tired.

As for the pies, their only real weakness is their goal shooting accuracy. they are solid if not brilliant across all lines aside from that.

St Kilda probably can put the cue in the rack after 3/4 time.

If the Saints Footy Department have that mindset the Dogs will win through to the GF.
The Doggies are struggling, but I wouldn't under-estimate them.
I'm more nervous about this game than I was the Saints v Geelong qualifier.

If the Saints Footy Department have that mindset the Dogs will win through to the GF.
The Doggies are struggling, but I wouldn't under-estimate them.
I'm more nervous about this game than I was the Saints v Geelong qualifier.
If the saints play to their potential, the game will be well and truly over into the 3rd. Clubs put the cue in the rack all the time, we did it last week, we did after we were 4 goals up against hawthorn, Geelong did it fri night. There is no point pushing the limits when there are bigger fish to fry the next week. Gone are the days when clubs try and play it out for the full 2 hours if the game is well and truly won.

Siants style always gives other sides a chance by fact that they rarely crush their opponents.

Unsure if this is due to limitations with scoring ability or whether once they get ahead by a certain margin coaching ethos switches to a more defensive structure.

For instance did Geelong get back into the game in the Qualifying final due to Cat brilliance or was it more because St kilda shut up shop?

Ridiculous.

Johnson turned the ball over at will and looks unable to apply any kind of forward pressure. Marked strongly? When was this? I saw him take a few good marks on the lead but he has always been good at that. His kicking was terrible, and at times he was a real liability. I can't believe Dogs fans can't see this. You need forward pressure and in a big finals match, against the absolute cream, those who aren't 100 percent fit, and can't throw their body's into packs and tackles are a tremendous weakness.

I'll pose this one for you dogs fans. How would you feel with Sam Gilbert matched up to Brad Johnson on the big open spaces of the MCG? Gilbert would massacre him like nobody has ever done before. Tonight it seemed young Smith was running with Johnson and despite Smith being a good performer this season, he is not Gilbert.
Johnson's hard work in presenting across half forward allowed Hall to play deep and was instrumental in allowing us to keep a dangerous forward structure. Johnno's work was especially crucial as young Grant could not get into the game at all. Sure Johnno sprayed it a couple of times but he worked his butt off to provide a target for the midfield to spot up. Did exactly what the team needed from him to give us a better chance of winning - it's called leadership.

The inexplicable potting of Johnson, after what was essentially one poor match in a row, continues. Maybe the lemmings of BF can line up at their nearest Dymocks to go buy that 'hugely anticipated' book instead of bother to go to the footy this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So girls, have we come up with any ideas of how he dogs could beat the saints?

The only chance they have is;

1) heavy rain all game because results are a bit flukey in the full wet
2) saints sustain injuries early in the match to 3 runners

In other words, on any equal playing field they can not win. They aren't good enough.

For instance did Geelong get back into the game in the Qualifying final due to Cat brilliance or was it more because St kilda shut up shop?

I think it was a bit of both but you are right, it has become a real pattern of the Saints to attack for a quarter or two and then protect the lead.

Not sure why because when they do go on the attack they are as good at it as any team going around.

They do seem very comfortable playing tight, close games. It is remarkable the number of these games they have won over the past 2 years.

Siants style always gives other sides a chance by fact that they rarely crush their opponents.

Unsure if this is due to limitations with scoring ability or whether once they get ahead by a certain margin coaching ethos switches to a more defensive structure.

St Kilda dont like the wet when you bomb it into their forward line, they want the opposition to play to their structures, because their backline is well rehearsed in the oppositions structures. Random chaotic ball into the forward 50 hurts them.

IMO the WB are a half a chance if they load there forward line with their best players

Murphy and Gilbee need to join Hall up forward, and Grant needs to bounce back from 2 disappointing final games, Roughead would also be a important inclusion up forward

St Kilda dont like the wet when you bomb it into their forward line, they want the opposition to play to their structures, because their backline is well rehearsed in the oppositions structures. Random chaotic ball into the forward 50 hurts them.

weather immaterial, long bombs by a moderately skilled team with a decent forward and some decent runners hurt us.

see essendon, carlton and the pies.

we got chopped up because they didn't play to our plan.

teams that fall into the keepings off plan die.

IMO the WB are a half a chance if they load there forward line with their best players

Murphy and Gilbee need to join Hall up forward, and Grant needs to bounce back from 2 disappointing final games, Roughead would also be a important inclusion up forward

Then tell me what happens when the ball is bounced, and it goes Lenny, Dal, Joey, Roo, Goal over and over when their best players are sitting in the goal square?

Then tell me what happens when the ball is bounced, and it goes Lenny, Dal, Joey, Roo, Goal over and over when their best players are sitting in the goal square?

where did I say goal square?

however if you watched last nights game for large periods the WB did not look like struggling the score board

so IMO for the WB to win they obviously need to kick a winning score and to do this and to keep the scoreboard pressure on I believe that they need to have their best players forward of centre

The dogs will need some early luck and anything is possible, however the saints are in form, primed and ready to go..

I do not think the saints will let this one slip, in fact I can see Goddard, Gilbo, Fisher, Gram and Ray smashing the dogs across half back and getting a 10 goal win.

Huge game, looking like the dogs chances are fading fast if they dont do something this year. I am not saying they will win it, but to get there would be a big bonus for the club. When did they last make a grand final? They have also fallen short in that dreaded prelim final. 1997-98 would have shattered some hearts, and the last two years would have invoked bad memories of a decade ago. So, how do they beat St Kilda after a tough game tonight? Lets here thoughts on strategies, techniques and a potential game plan against a fresh St Kilda.

They are not going to beat St Kilda. I cannot imagine St Kilda kicking as badly as the Swans did in the third quarter. St Kilda will make mincemeat of the Bulldogs. If you are going to back the Doggies, make sure you get lotsa points in your favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do the Bulldogs beat St Kilda next week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back