How do we open Adelaide Oval?

Remove this Banner Ad

The SANFL will be making just as much money (perhaps even more) out of AO that they were making at Footy Park. The SMA are the ones who own the $125k per year corporate boxes for example. The still run the catering as well. AO just offers the 2 AFL clubs the opportunity to make more money also.

You would have to give Port an A+ for their marketing campaign over the last 6 months, as for us, do we even have a marketing dept.

BTW who is paying for Ports marketing?
I would say it was part of the financial assistance the AFL/SANFL would have determined is required to get them out of the mess they were in and get them out there and attractive.. They needed to grow and attract in so many ways to survive into the future rather than just be given money to save the here and now..

Personally I think there has been way too much fuss made about the pre game etc.

Win games and play good footy. Everyone is carrying on about Ports off field stuff - if they were losing games and playing like us, do you think there fans would care.

Im pretty sure, Gordon Pickard specifically stated that all of his "white knight" sponsorship had to be spent on attracting new members and building the profile of the club.

He didnt want his cash just going to the interest payments for the money we owe - he had the long term and correct vision that for the club to eventually become viable it needed to spend money on membership promotion and game day attendance... from that moment a couple of years ago - our membership and and attendances have both increased dramatically!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cooney can you remember this and give us some more information.
Yes I do remember this, it was a good idea but it didn't work out, the AFL got rid of it I have no idea why it was a great idea.

You would have to give Port an A+ for their marketing campaign over the last 6 months, as for us, do we even have a marketing dept.

No one... take a look at our board (not just Koch) for a clue where the ideas are coming from.

most of ports marketing has been free:
kochie on channel 7
cardon/treders - channel 9 Mcguire media
energy australia, joint sponsor did the trams and buses
kfc-offering 241 deals for port members
march from the mall - trialed last year successfully in melbourne then a dry run the week before showdown
Renault launch stunt at mcg
the bands after the match, still cost they may of made nothing out of it but would of broke even

the only thing that might of cost was the t-shirts, but then again ISC might of done them as our clothing sponsor so could of been free too

plus more so all our marketing does not cost a cent and easily done, right people right places

oops i missed the biggest influence that goes unrecognized amanda vanstone, her work is tireless behind the scenes

Last edited:
Did anybody else make a poor first impression on their new seat neighbours yesterday?
Yes, spent much of the game bemoaning the lack of forwards structure including getting grumpy the number of times we had a stoppage outside our forward 50 with no players in the forward 50 and got told off by an old lady in front of me telling me that all the teams do it, even Sydney. Wasn't worth trying to have a discussion about how I understand that forwards need to push up but recognizing how to structure that properly and still having players work hard enough to push back when we are going forward so that our midfielders have leading forwards to kick to.,,

Should have all been about footy and the return to the stadium. A cavalcade of past Adelaide Oval legends, e.g. Robran, Kerley, Cornes would have been appropriate, with highlights of great moments of the past on the big screen.

Wow, you have managed to come up with a pre-game worse than what the AFC came up with!!

Past AO champions have ZERO RELEVANCE to the AFC.

Did anybody else make a poor first impression on their new seat neighbours yesterday?

I fell into this category, had 3 ladies in front of me (row A) all of them would have been in their 60's. I was my usual loud self - never swear though.

Two of them turned around a couple of times and gave me a look, didn't say anything.

The funny thing was none of them made any noise at all for the whole day. When I say no noise they didn't even talk to each other, they may have during the breaks but we went to the bar.

I was waiting for one of them to ask me to be quiet - I was ready to give them a polite spray:D

Disappointed that prime seats on the wing front row have gone to "supporters" who failed to make any noise what so ever. They weren't doing the knitting or eating apricot slice but they are our stereotype supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do we open Adelaide Oval?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back