How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

At this stage it's all about the aura.
Essendon never looked like losing a game whereas this Collingwood team have looked shaky on many occasions.
Yeah screw the aura, if we go on without a loss the records will show it to be the best season of all time

You didnt watch last years preliminary final? The one where the match was over at quarter time.

I'm sure if you asked Geelong supporters 12 months ago if they were concerned about facing Collingwood in the finals last season, they would've said something similar to the bolded, in reference to the 76 point smacking we gave the Pies in the '09 Prelim. That meant sweet FA when we played in the Prelim last year, much like last year's prelim will mean sweet FA if and when we meet in September (or October) this year.

I'm sure if you asked Geelong supporters 12 months ago if they were concerned about facing Collingwood in the finals last season, they would've said something similar to the bolded, in reference to the 76 point smacking we gave the Pies in the '09 Prelim. That meant sweet FA when we played in the Prelim last year, much like last year's prelim will mean sweet FA if and when we meet in September (or October) this year.

The only flaw to your theory here is one simple FACT

Geelong are not as good now as they were in 2009 when they SMACKED Collingwood by 76 points.

Collingwood are just as good if not better than 2010.

A combination of injuries of 2 of the following players will cost Collingwood the flag in 2011:

- Pendles, Cloke, Ball, Thomas, Reid, Jolly, Ball & Tarrant

If 2 of these are missing together in september it could cost the pies ever so dearly.

Geelong are not as good now as they were in 2009 when they SMACKED Collingwood by 76 points.

A combination of injuries of 2 of the following players will cost Collingwood the flag in 2011:

- Pendles, Cloke, Ball, Thomas, Reid, Jolly, Ball & Tarrant

If 2 of these are missing together in september it could cost the pies ever so dearly.

That is wrong, the only players we cant afford to lose for finals are Jolly, Cloke,Dawes and perhaps Tarrant depending on who we play. We can cover pretty much everyone else although losing certain players would obviously hurt more than others.

& last years prelim is totally relevant. Geelong are clearly not as strong (Gablett was best on in the prelim imo) whereas we are much stronger. Lol at any Geelong supporter trying to argue otherwise. If I were them I'd be hoping to get put out of my misery before they face Collingwood in september cause things could get really ugly

The bolded comment is very debatable IMO. We lost 4 of our last 9 games going into the finals in 2009 by an average margin of 24 points. We've only lost 2 games this year by an average margin of 6 points.

In 2009, we were riddled with injuries leading into September. This year we're pretty fit for the most part. The only long term injuries we have at the moment are Mitch Brown and Marcus Drum.

In 2009, we really only had one young player pushing strongly for a spot in the side come September (Mumford). This year we have about half a dozen (Menzel, Duncan, West, Christensen, Vardy and T.Hunt).

I do agree with your summation of Collingwood though.

This year we have about half a dozen (Menzel, Duncan, West, Christensen, Vardy and T.Hunt)

Only 2 are in their best 22. Why is every Collingwood thread on BF totally dominated by Geelong supporters.

The insecurity is cringeworthy.

Only 2 are in their best 22. Why is every Collingwood thread on BF totally dominated by Geelong supporters.

Nearly as cringeworthy as a group of supporters hanging onto the result of a game that happened 335 days ago.

That is wrong, the only players we cant afford to lose for finals are Jolly, Cloke,Dawes and perhaps Tarrant depending on who we play. We can cover pretty much everyone else although losing certain players would obviously hurt more than others.

& last years prelim is totally relevant. Geelong are clearly not as strong (Gablett was best on in the prelim imo) whereas we are much stronger. Lol at any Geelong supporter trying to argue otherwise. If I were them I'd be hoping to get put out of my misery before they face Collingwood in september cause things could get really ugly

Mate, whilst I don't think we are as good as Collingwood, we are better than last year. Having 3 more wins on the board than the same time 2010, and having 2 very close losses would suggest we're better, with no injuries and after watching every game I can assure you of this.

Whether that's enough to beat Collingwood when it matters, that will remain to be seen. To suggest we are somehow worse, with no reasonable evidence to back up your statement, followed by the usual biased comments of "we'll smash you" Your post can't be taken seriously in the slightest.

Just as every St Kilda thread was dominated by Collingwood fans for the whole of last year :eek:

Nearly as cringeworthy as a group of supporters hanging onto the result of a game that happened 335 days ago.

I doubt Collingwood supporters are hanging onto that result. I would think if they are hanging on anything, it would be the Premiership in 2010 & improving on that to this point in 2011.

Geelong have improved on 2010 but they aren't the side they were in 2007, 2008 & 2009. Collingwood are an infinitely better unit than they were in 2010.

Please, I think in 09 we were really good until Pendlebury went down so if we did get injuries it would hurt us just as much as any other team.

I think Collingwood have stayed about the same but the competition has caught up (read:Geelong). If we play 9/10 and Geelong play 10/10 we could lose it's that close.

It's interesting to see that both play a different way. Geelong is more risky and attacking while Collingwood relies on it's defence and new found plan. I can not wait till the GF too see how it's going to go when both teams actually get a challenge.

Please, I think in 09 we were really good until Pendlebury went down so if we did get injuries it would hurt us just as much as any other team.

I think Collingwood have stayed about the same but the competition has caught up (read:Geelong). If we play 9/10 and Geelong play 10/10 we could lose it's that close.

It's interesting to see that both play a different way. Geelong is more risky and attacking while Collingwood relies on it's defence and new found plan. I can not wait till the GF too see how it's going to go when both teams actually get a challenge.

Good post :thumbsu: sometimes it takes an apprentice that hadn't been poisoned by Bay 13 to post something rational.

One thing I don't quite agree on though is Geelong risk/attack part. I tend to think that Chris Scott has adjusted a few of the kamakazi ball movement, high possession aspects of our game this year. Our reduced handball to kick ratio reflects this. This has been the result of a harsh lesson we learnt at the hands of your mob late last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a) Pendles only went down in the Elimination Final and our form was nowhere near current one.
b) We do have plenty of injuries.
c) Geelong isn't competition so to say competition has caught up with us when quite the opposite has occurred is quite ludicrous.
d) Of course if Geelong play at their best and we are slightly off they are a chance to beat us but more then likely it won't be enough.
e) Try watching more Football as your perception of our corresponding game styles couldn't be further from the truth.

a) Pendles only went down in the Elimination Final and our form was nowhere near current one.
b) We do have plenty of injuries.
c) Geelong isn't competition so to say competition has caught up with us when quite the opposite has occurred is quite ludicrous.
d) Of course if Geelong play at their best and we are slightly off they are a chance to beat us but more then likely it won't be enough.
e) Try watching more Football as your perception of our corresponding game styles couldn't be further from the truth.

True, when Pendles went down we were not as good as we are now. It would still hurt however.

b) And all have been replaceable, although I think that's due to a gameplan that doesn't rely too much on one player.
c) I agree we are ahead but Geelong are beating teams like they play in VFL, which I felt like we were doing last year and not this year. Also I don't think Collingwood are as strong as last year. Unlike last year where we won the first 2 quarters and just obliterated teams this year we seem to struggle until teams just tire out and we kick away in lightning fashion which I'm not sure will be good enough for finals. Hopefully everything will come good and we will play as good as we can for 4 quarters.
e) Geelong have improved their defence and they no longer handball their way through the centre but they are still far more attacking than Collingwood which while moves it quick, they go along the flanks, sometimes switch the ball and love kicking it to a contest (which I would argue is a not so risky thing when your along the line and most of the time the ball goes out). Of course I admit I could be wrong (it's late and I haven't thought this through tremendously).

I'm only talking in terms of ball movement. Collingwood's gamestyle is what I would call defensive minded with the added perk of the ball always being within range of goals.

Mate, whilst I don't think we are as good as Collingwood, we are better than last year. Having 3 more wins on the board than the same time 2010, and having 2 very close losses would suggest we're better, with no injuries and after watching every game I can assure you of this.

Whether that's enough to beat Collingwood when it matters, that will remain to be seen. To suggest we are somehow worse, with no reasonable evidence to back up your statement, followed by the usual biased comments of "we'll smash you" Your post can't be taken seriously in the slightest.

09_GaryAblett.jpg

Theres your evidence. I cant believe that you think your fielding a stronger side than last year. Yes you have more wins on the board but that just reflects how much weaker the competition is this year to last. Importantly the gap between Collingwood and Geelong has increased significantly on last season and I have seen no evidence to suggest that Geelongs gameplan has changed at all since last seasons humiliating prelim final loss. If we get in September on a sunny afternoon then I would be disappointed if we won by less than 10 goals. Whilst being the dominant side in the last 5 years I've always thought Geelong have been poor in finals relative to their home and away season dominance; thus I'm expecting a pretty poor performance from this season in finals with an ageing, slow list - I think that straights sets is fairly likely in fact.

09_GaryAblett.jpg

Theres your evidence. I cant believe that you think your fielding a stronger side than last year. Yes you have more wins on the board but that just reflects how much weaker the competition is this year to last. Importantly the gap between Collingwood and Geelong has increased significantly on last season and I have seen no evidence to suggest that Geelongs gameplan has changed at all since last seasons humiliating prelim final loss. If we get in September on a sunny afternoon then I would be disappointed if we won by less than 10 goals. Whilst being the dominant side in the last 5 years I've always thought Geelong have been poor in finals relative to their home and away season dominance; thus I'm expecting a pretty poor performance from this season in finals with an ageing, slow list - I think that straights sets is fairly likely in fact.

Lazy.

Ablett may be gone, but there are a variety of other factors that make Geelong stronger this season than last.

At the end of last year the Cats were physically and mentally drained. Three previous seasons of playing all the way to the last week of September takes it's toll. Players have shorter preseasons and injuries don't have the same time to recover.

This season players workloads have been carefully "managed" and a new coach has brought new ideas and enthusiasm. Young players have been given opportunities and some have stepped up far beyond what might have been expected.

As for the "ageing, slow list"... if that had any impact they wouldn't be where they are now. There's enough young guys to force out underperformers, but there's little evidence of that happening. It will no doubt be an issue over the next few years, but it's irrelevant to the finals this year.

Lol. Amazing the amount of Collingwood supporters that think Collingwood only lost to Geelong due to an umpiring mistake. If the umpire called advantage then Mackie would not have allowed Pendles to waltz through and kick a goal. He didn't lay the easy tackle because the umpire was calling it back.

Lazy.

Ablett may be gone, but there are a variety of other factors that make Geelong stronger this season than last.

At the end of last year the Cats were physically and mentally drained. Three previous seasons of playing all the way to the last week of September takes it's toll. Players have shorter preseasons and injuries don't have the same time to recover.

This season players workloads have been carefully "managed" and a new coach has brought new ideas and enthusiasm. Young players have been given opportunities and some have stepped up far beyond what might have been expected.

As for the "ageing, slow list"... if that had any impact they wouldn't be where they are now. There's enough young guys to force out underperformers, but there's little evidence of that happening. It will no doubt be an issue over the next few years, but it's irrelevant to the finals this year.

Cerpin Taxt... 3 votes :thumbsu:

Supreme ignorance is not admissible as 'evidence' in a court of law and nor should it be in big footy!

Unbelievable

Lol. Amazing the amount of Collingwood supporters that think Collingwood only lost to Geelong due to an umpiring mistake. If the umpire called advantage then Mackie would not have allowed Pendles to waltz through and kick a goal. He didn't lay the easy tackle because the umpire was calling it back.

Awesome post, all collingwood supporters and mick malthouse thunk they can go through the whole season without a loss? If pendles did kick the goal, cats deserved to win anyways.

There was over 2:30 left on the clock, too. Apparently that's not enough time for another geelong score even if pendles got that goal.

Geelong were the better side for 1/4 & were outscored in the remaining 3. Either way, the best side on the nite won. Is it the benchmark or guide to how close the sides are? Absolutely not.

The conditions were heavy under foot, which hid Geelong's inability to deal with pace off the spread. Structurally our most important player didn't play & Mick was experimenting with our rotations in the 2nd & 3rd quarters (raw numbers indicate they were down 30%). As one who attends most Collingwood matches, we've only employed the press totally in 2 games this year, Hawthorn & the Eagles.

If it is a nice day in September & everything is equal, I can't see Geelong getting within 6 goals of Collingwood. Collingwood have improved more in 2011 than Geelong.

He didn't call it back. He blew the whistle once, which is standard, and Pendles continued with the play as he is entitled to. He then blew the whistle a second time (perhaps that's the 'calling it back you're referring to?) as Pendles had already started his kicking motion and Varcoe was pressuring him then.

Geelong were the better team on the night, but as Gieschen has CLEARLY STATED, the umpires made a mistake and a goal should've been awarded.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back