How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Collingwood supporters are genuinely worried over the easy win by Geelong earlier in the season.

They scraped over the line in 2010. A solitary bounce was all it came down to. May not be so lucky this year.

Highly skilled team that can hit targets under immense pressure. We saw St Kilda do everything except hit their targets. Could have won it, were certainly close enough for the majority of the game. The Cats and the Hawks can give them a shake however the Pies will go in as heavy favourites and deservedly so. I don't think we have seen the best of the Pies this year as yet (as scary as it sounds). If any team are to beat them, I like the Hawks for an upset. They have the game breakers and skill to do so.

Hawks game plan was soundly beaten. That plan relies on being a perfect kick for 10 kicks in a row in high pressure situations. No team can do it especially in the finals.

You gotta tag Maxwell. Can't play him as a loose man. Don't let davis take the game on. Or at least be unpredictable with your forward entries... Having multiple options in the forward 50 will help.. say 3 fairly tall targets. Or bomb the ball in the sqaure... Speedy crumber and boom. Place someone tall in the square and have them tap the sherrin to that crumber or something. Get that square crowded. Players will always panic when the attacking team is so close to goals.

Breaking the roman legion is the tough part. I say force behinds and rush them when inside their 50... go backwards to go forward! Drag their main targets further out the 50 arc. Thats probably not possible but whatever. If not drag everyone in their half. Apply pressure. And force those behinds. Go coast to from there. Go down the corridor, bomb it to a loose player in the 50 boom! Rotate players frequently when trying to exit their 50... Someone coming off the bench at the right time can be a target cus they'll be without an opponent for a second.

I dunno really. Something weird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon that there is only one way that the Pies will be defeated this year. You've got to flog them in the clearances - much easier said than done. The rare times when Collingwood have looked ordinary this year are during quarters when they have been flogged in the clearances and thus the ball has spent a lot of time in the Pies defence. Rather than a 6 defenders, 6 mids, 6 forwards structure or 7 6 5, which tends to be how most teams go, I'd stack the midfield and get a numerical advantage around the ball.

Hawks game plan was soundly beaten. That plan relies on being a perfect kick for 10 kicks in a row in high pressure situations. No team can do it especially in the finals.
Yep.
Get every Pies player worried about their man one-out, kick long and honour every good lead; ie honest, structured attacks.

Sitting back & trying to chip away just won't work. Hawks had better hope Clarkson's got something else on a back burner.

the key to beating collingwood in this year's grand final is pretty simple - win your prelim against whoever you play to get to the GF, and then hope something goes wrong with the pies on the day. if something doesn't go wrong with the pies, then they cannot be beaten

Ok, Collingwood are bloody amazing right now. They are playing a brand of footy that is very hard to overcome. No weak links on any line. They are fit, fast, skilled, strong and determined. They almost got pipped last year in the 1st GF. I would argue that they are better than last year, and they want another cup because that will put them on par with Essendon and Carlton. Not sure if that is the incentive but anyway, they are on track to do that.

I remember when Essendon were very dominant between 1999-2001. They only won a single flag in that time. Collingwood lost a prelim in 2009, they smashed it in last year in week 2, but could Geelong do a Brisbane and be a giant killer? I am not sure, i am not convinced the cats can climb over them.

I just was keen to know from Pies fans and anyone really, how do you think you beat the Pies? How do you knock them over in September? Because we all know finals is a different caper, but how does one beat Collingwood? And who can do it?

Cheers
kick a bigger score.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back