Family & Relationships How do you get over a girl?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is blanket advice for anyone: it doesn't matter whether she is telling the truth or not, you won't find out and she has made her choice. You'll only drive yourself crazy trying to rationalise something irrational.

Probably. I'm seeing her on Thursday for a chat, just going to be honest and leave it all out there. If she maintains her original point of view (likely) I won't contact her again.

Meh, I'll deal with that when it comes. At least I would get a year or two of great times - she hasn't really displayed any of that 'drama queen' behaviour in person, she's just been a legend. I've never been in a relationship and want that experience sooner rather than later.

It's such a weird romantic comedy notion of a statement though. I like you but can't bare to have my heart broken again. Then telling your friend she's excited to tell you that she likes you before telling you? If you hadn't had said 24 I would have guessed 16 years old.

Sorry bro, not trying to sound like a twat but I kind of am.

You could always sleep with her sister, better still go the mum, mate it does their heads in.

I've slept with sisters before (separately) and oddly they weren't at all bothered by it, freaked me out a bit actually. Was a couple of years apart though.

It's such a weird romantic comedy notion of a statement though. I like you but can't bare to have my heart broken again. Then telling your friend she's excited to tell you that she likes you before telling you? If you hadn't had said 24 I would have guessed 16 years old.

Sorry bro, not trying to sound like a twat but I kind of am.

It does sound like that in isolation but it's behaviour that I haven't seen face to face yet so I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. She probably just has a few demons from past relationships and is expressing that.

I've slept with sisters before (separately) and oddly they weren't at all bothered by it, freaked me out a bit actually. Was a couple of years apart though.

It does sound like that in isolation but it's behaviour that I haven't seen face to face yet so I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. She probably just has a few demons from past relationships and is expressing that.
Good luck and god speed :thumbsu:

Besides going out and finding a million other girls, which at this stage doesn't really interest me, what have you done to help yourself get over girlfriends etc?
If you're still around now how you travelling.
Probably married with 3 kids.

This is blanket advice for anyone: it doesn't matter whether she is telling the truth or not, you won't find out and she has made her choice. You'll only drive yourself crazy trying to rationalise something irrational.

Sound advice, worthy of stickying in some collection of pieces of sound advice thread.

Women have a whole bunch of ways of saying no without saying no. 'Would you like to...?' should in theory elicit a yes or no response, but the majority of the time it will not. Why do they do it? Who knows. My theory is that trying to be nice makes them feel good about themselves which convinces them that the person on the other end is feeling likewise good.

Ever had this happen?
'I had a great time on Saturday, would you like to have a drink this weekend?'
'Hey. No thanks, I wish you well but I'm just not interested'

That girl is wife material. Not your wife, but she's a keeper.

This is a more realistic exchange:

'I had a great time on Saturday, would you like to have a drink this weekend?'
*longer than normal pause to respond*
'Hey <first name>, I had a great time too. <insert cliche(s)>'

The second part is the fun bit. Sometimes you'll get a compliment sandwich ('I had such a great time - some bullshit - you're a really great guy'), sometimes you'll get something dismissive ('I'll let you know/I'd love to buy I'm sooo busy at the moment'), sometimes you'll get creative nonsense ('Just not looking to date someone right now', yes that would explain why you are on every dating app) - but whichever fork in the road is presented still leads to a dead end.

When you are young and naive it you sort of take it personally and analyse it as best you can. Once you've seen the pattern of behaviour enough times you just recognise it and move on. Sure if you are 15 or 50 and think a girl actually likes you then she doesn't it still sucks, but if you spend hours agonising over every word and analysing what could/should be the reason and what you could have done etc. every time you'll end up in a padded room. See it for what it is and focus your energy elsewhere. Plenty of fish and all that.

Last weekend she was talking to my mate and was getting very excited apparently about telling me she liked me and what my reaction would be etc.

Then last Friday I asked her to hang on the weekend and she sent me a text that basically said 'I'm realised recently I've started to like you and I don't think I'm ready to pursue that. I went through a bad break up in the December that was rough on me and the more I hang out with you the more I like you and I'm not ready for that.'

Sounds like a sudden change of heart, maybe a mate has said something that has put her off you or the thought of being in a relationship again has scared her off.

I would go a week without contacting her and see if she contacts you again.

Sounds like a sudden change of heart, maybe a mate has said something that has put her off you or the thought of being in a relationship again has scared her off.

I would go a week without contacting her and see if she contacts you again.

I did that a few weeks ago when I thought she wasn’t interested, and she ended up initiating something via text after 4 or 5 days. At the time I thought it worked beautifully, but I’ve since learned from her friends she thought that meant I didn’t like her and it might be a contributing factor as to why she ended it last week.

I’m seeing her tonight so will report back. Doubt she will change her mind but I at least get an opportunity to be honest with her. Rarely do you get the chance to be really honest with someone in a positive way, it’s quite powerful I reckon, so I’m excited even though I might be shattered afterwards.

I’m seeing her tonight so will report back. Doubt she will change her mind but I at least get an opportunity to be honest with her. Rarely do you get the chance to be really honest with someone in a positive way, it’s quite powerful I reckon, so I’m excited even though I might be shattered afterwards.
Probably too late but for the love of all things human don't beg, try to convince her or negotiate (maybe we can catch up in a month and see where we're at?) about the "relationship".

Got to keep your pride.

I'm no Dr Phil (which is a good thing as he's really an arseh*le) but it seems a little odd you need to ask her friends and your friends to find out what a 24yo you've been seeing thinks of you.

Didn't really ask, just got told.

Think we're both probably a bit insecure, me because I've never managed to hold down a proper relationship, her because she's been burnt by one.

As well - it's difficult when you don't know the person at all before coming in. If they have been friends for ages and you sleep with each other, you know roughly where you stand. Either you enter a relationship or you know it was a once off. Meeting someone completely new though, there will always be that doubt in your mind because there isn't a 'body of work' to reference.

Probably too late but for the love of all things human don't beg, try to convince her or negotiate (maybe we can catch up in a month and see where we're at?) about the "relationship".

Got to keep your pride.

Yeah na all over that. If she essentially re-states her position, I wron't try and convince her otherwise.

I will probably have a jab at her for ending it via text though, really hate that shit.

Didn't really ask, just got told.

Think we're both probably a bit insecure, me because I've never managed to hold down a proper relationship, her because she's been burnt by one.

As well - it's difficult when you don't know the person at all before coming in. If they have been friends for ages and you sleep with each other, you know roughly where you stand. Either you enter a relationship or you know it was a once off. Meeting someone completely new though, there will always be that doubt in your mind because there isn't a 'body of work' to reference.

Also, and there's no real way of saying this without sounding like a dickhead, but she's unbelievably attractive and objectively a long way out of my league, so that has added to my insecurity about things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did that a few weeks ago when I thought she wasn’t interested, and she ended up initiating something via text after 4 or 5 days. At the time I thought it worked beautifully, but I’ve since learned from her friends she thought that meant I didn’t like her and it might be a contributing factor as to why she ended it last week.

That's what happens when you play games. If you want to send a text, send it. These stupid 'tests' just wreck things.

Well it went about as well as could be expected despite it being over.

Think she just isn't quite over her previous relationship and it was a case of poor timing. Sounds like a cop out when I write it but I could see when I was there she was telling me the truth. Had genuine feelings for me but just wants to do her own thing for a bit.

She didn't realise that I liked her so it made it a bit tougher for her when I told her. Could see she was half regretting it and she said she might regret this down the track. We then almost had sex but then both stopped as it wouldn't have felt quite right.

We both left it on a good note, I basically said thanks for the 6 weeks, it was really fun, see ya later. Won't contact her again. Feeling so much better today than the past couple of weeks where thinking about her was inhibiting my daily life.

Cheers GD for assistance

She didn't realise that I liked her so it made it a bit tougher for her when I told her. Could see she was half regretting it and she said she might regret this down the track. We then almost had sex but then both stopped as it wouldn't have felt quite right.

Holllllllllllld on a second here. This has to be a troll.

Holllllllllllld on a second here. This has to be a troll.

Na that was what happened, probably said it a bit too matter of factly. There were clearly residual feelings from both ends and we had the chat on her bed in her room so it was probably bound to happen at some stage. Wasn't like we tore each other's clothes off, was just heading that way until we stopped it.

'We'?

AFS thread...

Lol

It was actually more me that stopped it, I don't think she would've gone through with it either though

In reality she had nothing to lose from one more time but it would've made it that much harder for me to move on

The sex we had was up there with the best I've ever had so it was simply a case of both wanting to enjoy something that was very fun one last time

Lol

It was actually more me that stopped it, I don't think she would've gone through with it either though

In reality she had nothing to lose from one more time but it would've made it that much harder for me to move on

The sex we had was up there with the best I've ever had so it was simply a case of both wanting to enjoy something that was very fun one last time
I feel your pain mate, have had my heart broken 3 times over the last couple of years. However, not too long after my last breakup I found the love of my life, who I know will be the person I start a family with in the next couple of years. Keep persisting, the person for you is out there!

I have had my heart broken 3 times over the last couple of years.
What are you, ten?

How can adult men allow their emotions to be so beholden to women?

How can you even develop feelings for women in such a short space of time that three can hurt you in two years?

Were you guys overly mothered? Or not mothered enough?

Either way, if you don't accept yourself for who you are as a man, every woman who sleeps with you will eventually 'break your heart'.

It's pathetic. You can be better.

What are you, ten?

How can adult men allow their emotions to be so beholden to women?

How can you even develop feelings for women in such a short space of time that three can hurt you in two years?

Were you guys overly mothered? Or not mothered enough?

Either way, if you don't accept yourself for who you are as a man, every woman who sleeps with you will eventually 'break your heart'.

It's pathetic. You can be better.
WTF

Remove this Banner Ad

Family & Relationships How do you get over a girl?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back