How has Brisbane and Leppitsch escaped scruitny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Leppa is not cut up to be a long term solution, he won't be at the helm next time Brisbane is contending, however the context of the Lions on-field and off-field means he escapes a lot of scrutiny, and somewhat rightfully so. It would take a few consecutive floggings for the papers to whip up into a frenzy.

If Brisbane remain competitive, his relationship with players is probably the biggest indicator of whether he stays or goes. If Brisbane are still languishing by end 2017, then you have to fly in a proven head coach.

If Brisbane remain competitive, his relationship with players is probably the biggest indicator of whether he stays or goes.

Everyone seems to be signing on. Lambert has turned the place around.

Mayes is the only one in doubt to be there next year and he has personal reasons for that.

2012: 10 wins, 12 losses
2013: 10 wins, 12 losses

Leppitsch takes over

2014: 7 wins, 15 losses
2015: 4 wins, 18 losses
2016: 1 win, 5 losses

He's like Buckley but not starting from the high base.

Totally disingenuous analogy.

The playing list(s) under Voss bears very little semblance to what Leppitsch has had to work with

You are attempting to compare apples with oranges.

I suppose you are also an advocate of the old fallacious argument:

Team A beat team B

Team B beat team C

So Team A are certainties to beat team C

Come on man!!!!

Do a bit of basic research before you shoot from the hip.

I don't see how Leppitsch is supposed to keep up with the rest of the competition when nearly all of Brisbane's high draft picks have walked out on him. They're perpetually rebuilding until the club can put a stop to this.

Most left before his time. The only high draft pick to walk out on Leppitsch is Aish. And I don't think we are missing his 12 possession, 1 tackle games to be honest.

I think Leppitsch is a very ordinary and a very unprofessional coach

What i base that on - is i heard the late Ken Judge on the radio last year on that football show - at the start of the show - he said during that week he had spoken on the phone to his good friend and premiership team mate Peter Schwab ( who is what the football manager at Brisbane ) and they had a good yak about a number of football issues

Then about an hour into the show - Judge said - do you think it is a good idea that the Brisbane coach - allows players who are not playing to sit in the coaches box - and that the Brisbane coach in their presence slags off numerous Brisbane players who are actually playing on the day . And as Judge pointed out - the players who have been slagged off by the coach during the game - would have been told that by the players in the coaches box ( Peter Scwaab must have told Ken Judge that thats what was happening)-

Totally unproffesional by Leppitsch and wouldnt be tolerated at any other club

What garbage. Not tolerated at any other club? Please.

Mark McVeigh sat in the coaches box for the Swans earlier this year, while Gary Ablett has done it at least twice at the Suns. Bernie Vince sat in the coaches box at Melbourne earlier this year also.

Because they are actually building a decent list, it's just still very young. Recruiting players like Bastinac, Bell and Walker is fantastic for the short to medium term as guys like Keays, Shache etc gain experience. McStay and Schache is the makings of a very promising KPF duo.

With Justin Clarke retiring they probably need to recruit another KPD, but the list is promising, especially given the exodus of young players they had.

What garbage. Not tolerated at any other club? Please.

Mark McVeigh sat in the coaches box for the Swans earlier this year, while Gary Ablett has done it at least twice at the Suns. Bernie Vince sat in the coaches box at Melbourne earlier this year also.

You missed the point - it is what he is saying about players on the day in the presence of the players in the coaches box - Judge thought it was unproffessional and i agree

I think Leppitsch is a very ordinary and a very unprofessional coach

What i base that on - is i heard the late Ken Judge on the radio last year on that football show - at the start of the show - he said during that week he had spoken on the phone to his good friend and premiership team mate Peter Schwab ( who is what the football manager at Brisbane ) and they had a good yak about a number of football issues

Then about an hour into the show - Judge said - do you think it is a good idea that the Brisbane coach - allows players who are not playing to sit in the coaches box - and that the Brisbane coach in their presence slags off numerous Brisbane players who are actually playing on the day . And as Judge pointed out - the players who have been slagged off by the coach during the game - would have been told that by the players in the coaches box ( Peter Scwaab must have told Ken Judge that thats what was happening)-

The first tine I read this convoluted diatribe made my head hurt .

The second time made my head hurt even more.

The third time made me feel really stupid for bothering with the first two reads.

You missed the point - it is what he is saying about players on the day in the presence of the players in the coaches box - Judge thought it was unproffessional and i agree

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll advise the board of your position as I'm certain it will carry weight.

Because they've played 5 of the top 6 teams so far (ie their losses were expected, and in some cases, by smaller margins than expected eg Sydney/North)- very tough start to the season!
And managed to beat GC (who were tipped to be big improvers this year, and who were unbeaten at the time)
Besides, they have been decimated by players leaving in recent seasons, so expectations were low to begin with
So far, their performances have matched or maybe even slightly exceeded my and most people's expectations- and their current Win-Loss position doesn't reflect their form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all of the bluster about Lyon, Hardwick, Buckley and even Hinkley in terms of their performance as coaches, surely Leppa needs to be grouped in the group too.

Brisbane's performances, yesterday notwithstanding, haven't exactly set the world on fire with Leppa at the helm. In fact, I would hazard a guess that his winning percentage would be incredibly low.

If Buckley had Leppa's social past/demons, boy oh boy wowwee...

They have escaped scrutiny because the AFL is worried that supporters from the 01-03 era may have dropped off the bandwagon.

I have a couple of connections in the media, and they have told be that the AFL pays media organisations to stop speculation about Brisbane because they are a team from an NRL state. They don't want scrutiny because it could lead to even more supporters dropping off (now that Brisbane aren't as good as they used to be).

Its very similar to how the AFL pays broadcaster to not show or talk about contentious decisions. If the supporters have reason to believe that umpires are ever in the wrong it will lead to supporters being correct about something, and they don't want this. They want umpires to be held in high regard and continue to shove the supporters (the little guy) down into the slums where they belong.

And how do you know that the exact same things aren't said about their players by John Longmire, Paul Roos and Rodney Eade in front of the players sitting in their coaches box?

They have escaped scrutiny because the AFL is worried that supporters from the 01-03 era may have dropped off the bandwagon.

I have a couple of connections in the media, and they have told be that the AFL pays media organisations to stop speculation about Brisbane because they are a team from an NRL state. They don't want scrutiny because it could lead to even more supporters dropping off (now that Brisbane aren't as good as they used to be).

Its very similar to how the AFL pays broadcaster to not show or talk about contentious decisions. If the supporters have reason to believe that umpires are ever in the wrong it will lead to supporters being correct about something, and they don't want this. They want umpires to be held in high regard and continue to shove the supporters (the little guy) down into the slums where they belong.

This a serious post or?

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Your "couple of connections in the media" are either fictitious or having a lend of you.

Extra laughable considering that the Courier Mail has smashed us for the last decade. And Purple Damo down south mustn't be getting the cheques either.

Very few of the AFL's decisions in the last decade indicate that they are concerned about our crowd numbers. Has been very much a "you won 3 flags... you'll be sweet from now on" approach.

This thread is hilarious. We have been smashed in the media for ages. I suspect most of the people posting in the thread don't click on Brisbane articles out of a lack of interest and have come to the conclusion as a result that we fly under the radar.

We might get written about "less" for purely commercial reasons in that stories about Collingwood and Essendon sell more papers, but what is written about us is pretty universally negative (and rightly so given our past 10 or so years of rabbleness).

Last edited:
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Your "couple of connections in the media" are either fictitious or having a lend of you.

Extra laughable considering that the Courier Mail has smashed us for the last decade. And Purple Damo down south mustn't be getting the cheques either.
Yeah, occasionally a couple of stories slip through the cracks but generally speaking the northern states teams are told to be spoken of more highly.

The AFL knows what it wants.

Very few of the AFL's decisions in the last decade indicate that they are concerned about our crowd numbers. Has been very much a "you won 3 flags... you'll be sweet from now on" approach.

This thread is hilarious. We have been smashed in the media for ages. I suspect most of the people posting in the thread don't click on Brisbane articles out of a lack of interest and have come to the conclusion as a result that we fly under the radar.
Twaddle.

If the AFL had a grand conspiracy of ensuring the media put a positive spin on Brisbane and offering financial incentives accordingly (lol... I'm still laughing at this allegation), you'd think they would have started with the chief AFL writer at Queensland's only daily newspaper.

I present to you... the odyssey of Andrew Hamilton... two threads worth. Enjoy.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/hammo-the-hack-is-at-it-again.258985

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/hammo-the-reporter-ii-electric-boogaloo.955406/

Last edited:
Yes, the AFL pays the media to not put down anyone from the northern states, and they also pay broadcasters/media to not talk about contentious decisions.

So when the uproar about the Hawks getting cheap frees happened literally last week did the AFL's cheques bounce or something?

There's got to be 50 articles a year whinging about the umps.

Remove this Banner Ad

How has Brisbane and Leppitsch escaped scruitny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back