How is your club's Rookie List shaping up for 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane
  • 13. Callum BARTLETT - Gone
  • 25. Richard NEWELL - Gone
  • 42. Justin CLARKE* Will be on the senior list
  • 43. Nicholas HAYES Another year on the rookie list, sounds like a promising player
  • 45. Jordon BOURKE - Will get another year
  • 46. Sam MICHAEL* 50/50
  • 48. Stephen WRIGLEY - Gone
I think the club would want to hold onto Michael. Not quite there for a senior list spot but it's his 2nd year as a rookie so it all depends how highly rated our academy players are as to whether he gets redrafted as a rookie.

Feel really bad for Bartlett, he was named as an emergency in his first year and sounded close to a promotion early this year before he had an injury. Hope he gets another chance somewhere else.

Let's hope Michael can show something today against the Cats. :thumbsu:

Are clubs allowed to delist a rookie player after, say, three years, and then redraft them in the next rookie draft? Just if they couldn't promote them to the senior list for whatever reason, or wanted to get one more season out of them to see if they are good enough or not.

Yes. Clancee Pearce from freo is an example of a player who has followed this route. Pretty sure beau maister did it as well back in his west coast days.

• 39. Cameron SHENTON - Delisted
  • 40. Jordan STALEY - Stay on rookie list
  • 41. Darren MINCHINGTON Promoted
  • 43. Thomas CURREN - Promoted
  • 45. Jackson FERGUSON - Delisted

Yes. Clancee Pearce from freo is an example of a player who has followed this route. Pretty sure beau maister did it as well back in his west coast days.

He did, although his name was Beau Wilkes back then :p

Bumping this. Which rookies are confirmed promotions for 2014?

For West Coast we've elevated all of Bennell, Tunbridge and McGovern, and kept Sinclair on the rookie list. Bennell and Tunbridge were surprises, they didn't need to be elevated and had only played 2 games between them.

For Adelaide, only Rory Laird is confirmed, as he was offered and accepted a 2 year deal back in August.

McIntyre and Orval were delisted as predicted, but we also delisted cat B Tim Klaosen - he's one back to basketball and is pursuing opportunities in Europe.

This means that Dowdell and Osborn have been retained, and Hartigan is either retained or promoted, we're yet to hear.

Melbourne
Mitch Clisby - will be retained or promoted
Tom Couch - Delisted
James Magner - ?
Nathan Stark - ?

Hoping we keep Clisby on the rookie list and then bring in some new rookies. Unsure on the future of Magner, personally I'd let him go. And Stark's a young midfielder who spent a lot of time injured.

For the Dogs, Goodes is a definite elevation. Mark Austin might be elevated, if not he'll be kept on the rookie list for a 3rd year.

We haven't released anything official, but according to a couple of our posters that are usually good with their information we are retaining all of Lin Jong, Jack Redpath and Alex Greenwood for a 3rd year.

Jong recently injured himself again, and so won't get much of a chance to show his wares nexxt year unless he can return quickly. He's played AFL and is very athletic and kamikaze, his disposal however is shoddy and he's not a very natural AFL player. Needs to work on his decision making, but can find the ball. Has shown some good signs at AFL level in 2012, but didn't get too much of a run at it in 2013 due to injury.

Redpath was stagnating as a KPF, and so was moved to the backline with mixed results, but showed some promise. A few of us were a bit perplexed as to why he's being kept on, but big men take longer and he has shown a few good signs.

Greenwood i'm staggered as to why he's still on the rookie list. He struggled to crack the Williamstown senior team, and was stuck in the development league for most of the year. He's an undersized inside mid, I don't see any reason why we should keep him on.

Dalgleish a monty for an upgrade, well deserved too.

Dell'olio also might get upgraded, which I guess might be dependent on chappy, and what then happens with Davey.

Hunter has been delisted and Steinberg has only had one year on there so he can wait until next year before he comes back up.

So we'll probably have 2, maybe 3 spots going to the rookie draft

Melbourne
Mitch Clisby - will be retained or promoted
Tom Couch - Delisted
James Magner - ?
Nathan Stark - ?

Hoping we keep Clisby on the rookie list and then bring in some new rookies. Unsure on the future of Magner, personally I'd let him go. And Stark's a young midfielder who spent a lot of time injured.

I hope that Melbourne do there due dilligence and upgrade Clisby. Saw him a couple of times for Casey and he was outstanding with his run from half back. Elevated to the senior list, senior debut and hasn't looked back.

I would have thought that Magner would be delisted. Even his outstanding VFL form (averaged something like 28 touches a game for Casey for this year) couldn't see him picked in possibly the worst midfield of the comp.

From my point of view;

Mitch Clisby - upgraded
Tom Couch - Delisted
James Magner - Delisted
Nathan Stark - ?? (leave that to a Melbourne point of view but a young player should nearly always be afforded a second year on the rookie list).

Dalgleish a monty for an upgrade, well deserved too.

Dell'olio also might get upgraded, which I guess might be dependent on chappy, and what then happens with Davey.

Hunter has been delisted and Steinberg has only had one year on there so he can wait until next year before he comes back up.

So we'll probably have 2, maybe 3 spots going to the rookie draft

I've been thinking long and hard the past week or so (re Steinberg). Im really not sure if he will make it. Yeah, he has shown significant signs of improvement in the last 36 months but the role he would most likely play at AFL level (3rd tall defender) has a number of things going against him.

a) We already have a glut of 3rd tall defensive options (Hibberd, Hardingham, Pears, Fletcher)
b) the players he would be opposed to (think Mark LeCras/Porplyzia) would run him off his feet, whilst playing on the Jack Gunston type's he probably won't be able to go with them aerobically and in the air (you saw him a number of times, played best when in an arm wrestle)
c) his skills are still a bit of a worry. With Pears re - signing, it probably places the Steinberg upgrade thoughts on the back burners and in all honesty won't surprise me to see him in the deli stings come list lodgement 1.

The old ASAD/WADA/AFL/Crime Commission penalties will more than likely see him retained as we know what we get with him and he is eligible to stay on the rookie list for another year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been thinking long and hard the past week or so (re Steinberg). Im really not sure if he will make it. Yeah, he has shown significant signs of improvement in the last 36 months but the role he would most likely play at AFL level (3rd tall defender) has a number of things going against him.

a) We already have a glut of 3rd tall defensive options (Hibberd, Hardingham, Pears, Fletcher)
b) the players he would be opposed to (think Mark LeCras/Porplyzia) would run him off his feet, whilst playing on the Jack Gunston type's he probably won't be able to go with them aerobically and in the air (you saw him a number of times, played best when in an arm wrestle)
c) his skills are still a bit of a worry. With Pears re - signing, it probably places the Steinberg upgrade thoughts on the back burners and in all honesty won't surprise me to see him in the deli stings come list lodgement 1.

The old ASAD/WADA/AFL/Crime Commission penalties will more than likely see him retained as we know what we get with him and he is eligible to stay on the rookie list for another year.

I'm not 100% convinced either (how can you be, he hasn't played a game at AFL level?). However, the strides he's made in the last 18 months are massive, and I think he should be rewarded with another year, Hunter didn't come on this year, and he's gone, Ariel has come on in a massive way, so he should stay IMO.

He is competing with a fair few, but can also play forward, which should actually count for him, considering we could go into next year with as few as 2 pure key forwards on our list.

In theory with Crameri going he could actually play as that lead up 3rd tall as well couldn't he?

Port's rookie list hasn't fared well

Darren Pfeiffer, Danny Butcher & Justin Hoskin have all been delisted.

Kane Mitchell has had a contract offered to him, but is yet to commit, plus we have not yet been told if he is to remain a rookie or be promoted onto the senior list.

For Freo:

Schloithe and Howson got delisted.

Taberner got upgraded

Leaves Moller (who will stay as rookie, bonus slot on the list, will probably only play in case of an injury, so he is unlikely to get upgraded) und and Menegola. Don't know much about the latter, probably will stay on the list until we have a chance to replace him with somebody more promising...

Frank and Boseley have been cut at the Hawks. Langford is in his third year and will get an upgrade. Wanganeen was all set for delisting but played very well after a move to half back in the second half of the VFL season. In his third year too so a move needs to be made. I suspect we might have just kept him around to see if anyone wants to trade for him and he'll get cut anyway after the trade period, might sneak on to the list if we don't rate the draft though. No idea on Ceglar. Probably retain as a rookie just for depth.

For West Coast we've elevated all of Bennell, Tunbridge and McGovern, and kept Sinclair on the rookie list. Bennell and Tunbridge were surprises, they didn't need to be elevated and had only played 2 games between them.

I didn't see much of Bennell this year but surprised he has been elevated. Always showed promise with speed and skill. Just always lacked confidence to take the next step. Hopefully he goes well.

Sydney
  • 27. Daniel ROBINSON - don't know much but i'd like to see him retained as he is a NSW lad
  • 33. Brandon JACK* - may get upgraded, although I'd say he'll be retained
  • 35. Sam NAISMITH - will be retained, young ruck prospect
  • 42. Xavier RICHARDS* - should be retained
  • 43. Dane RAMPE* - will be upgraded, no doubt
  • 44. Jake LLOYD - also don't know much, but apparently his reserves form has been solid. make of that what you will
  • 46. Shane BIGGS* - might get upgraded after some solid form late in the season

Lloyd Perris, a lad from our academy has been confirmed onto our rookie list next season, although I would've liked to see him go directly onto the senior list, given that he was said to be a top 20 draft prospect. Hopefully he'll get a few game next year

• 30. Jack OSBORN
  • 39. Tim KLAOSEN - Delisted
  • 41. Kyle HARTIGAN* - Definitely promote
  • 44. Ben DOWDELL
  • 46. Rory LAIRD* - Definitely promote
  • 48. Dylan ORVAL - Delisted
  • 49. Tim McINTYRE - Delisted
  • Got a gem in Laird. Will be a 200 game player barring any injuries.
  • Hartigan looked alright late in the year in his first few games. Key back that is being groomed to fill Ruttens spot in a year or two.
  • Dowdell is a basketball project player who has, from what i understand, struggled at SANFL level.
  • Dont know much about Osborn, maybe a fellow fan can shed some light on him.

• 30. Jack OSBORN
  • 39. Tim KLAOSEN - Delisted
  • 41. Kyle HARTIGAN* - Definitely promote
  • 44. Ben DOWDELL
  • 46. Rory LAIRD* - Definitely promote
  • 48. Dylan ORVAL - Delisted
  • 49. Tim McINTYRE - Delisted
  • Got a gem in Laird. Will be a 200 game player barring any injuries.
  • Hartigan looked alright late in the year in his first few games. Key back that is being groomed to fill Ruttens spot in a year or two.
  • Dowdell is a basketball project player who has, from what i understand, struggled at SANFL level.
  • Dont know much about Osborn, maybe a fellow fan can shed some light on him.

Both Dowdell and Osborn have played SANFL firsts at Centrals, and done OK IMO, certainly done enough to remain as rookies. Klaosen has gone back to basketball which probably ensured that Dowdell will stay even though it'll be his 3rd year.

Richardson is gone. Requested to train solely with NB Roosters for the second half of 2013 and was granted that permission, so he's done.

McGenniss just had his contract extended for another year. Will be retained.

Wallace will stay on the list.

Speight is gone.

Warren is the interesting one, might get another year.

How is the yank looking?
I havent heard much since he was recruited.
Is he playing VFL etc?

Remove this Banner Ad

How is your club's Rookie List shaping up for 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back