How Long Has Mark Thompson Got Down "Sleepy Hollow" ??

Remove this Banner Ad

I couldn't see Costa getting rolled. Done too much good work getting the club back on-track off the field, and is seen as a good bloke.

Also there is no logical replacement or challenger. The other day Ian Dicker was talking about his succession plan at Hawthorn and how Martin Jolly will most likely take over as president in a couple of years. Who is going to take over from Costa?

However, I did notice a subtle shift in Costa yesterday from totally positive to a man who is clearly getting to the end of his patience. Not saying he will sack his beloved Thompson, but if the bad results keep coming it might be a different story at the end of the season.

But yes, must be frustrating for Cats fans - that decision to extend Thompson's contract looked like pure folly at the time, looks like sheer lunacy now.

But yes, must be frustrating for Cats fans - that decision to extend Thompson's contract looked like pure folly at the time, looks like sheer lunacy now.

Taking the Mick Turner line, it was a political stunt to make the club appear stable and under control, especially if we had a deplorable start to the season.

Funnily enough, as you said, it has come unstuck and really bit them in the arse.

At this stage, i'd even be happy to see Ron Watt step up and take control of the seniors.

I'd be all for Ron to take over for the remaining 20 games. Having said that, Thompson's spell is exceptionally infectious and after the way the VFL side played (Even with the amount of top ups we had) on the weekend, i fear that the Thompson virus may have already spread throughout the club and caused some irreparable damage :(

p&p - as you are Thompson's most outspoken critic on these boards, what is it about him that doesn't gel with you? Style, game-plan, presentation, whole package...?? Specifics please.
Geelong had probably 6 of their best 8 out on Saturday - they were on a hiding to nothing regardless, and if the side wilted or lacked confidence in the 2nd half, it's understandable with a team of kids out there. At least Carlton's new boys have senior experience behind them.
I realise this goes back some time, not just this year, but I'm intrigued, as an opposition supporter whose club's coach has had his fair share of criticism, as to why you'd prefer someone else. Not disagreeing (or trolling) with you, just interested in your take.

Originally posted by Shaitan
Taking the Mick Turner line, it was a political stunt to make the club appear stable and under control, especially if we had a deplorable start to the season.

Funnily enough, as you said, it has come unstuck and really bit them in the arse.

Mick Turner as a person is a jerk but I often think he says some intelligent things on K-Rock, 95.5, Geelong's radio station. I love K-Rock cos its so biased when commentating.

p&p - as you are Thompson's most outspoken critic on these boards, what is it about him that doesn't gel with you? Style, game-plan, presentation, whole package...?? Specifics please

I'm not P&P but i will comment on this particular topic, being a pretty avid Geelong fan and Thompson critic myself.

Mark Thompson has been at the club for 5 years now. In his first season, there was plenty of apprehension and excitement and we managed to scrape into the finals. Only, of course, to get knocked out by our 'boogy team' in Hawthorn. :rolleyes:

Since then, basically the entire list has been given a make over. Thompson has been in charge of the changes to the list, recruiting his own type of players - commonly known among Geelong folk as the 'Good Boy Policy'. Players like Spriggs, Bartel, Lonergan, Mackie, Kingsley, Daniel Foster and even Ezra Bray all exemplify the stereotype Thompson enjoys having in his side. Blue collar Cats, in fact.

To suggest that Thompson isn't accountable because the list lacks quality is so wholly wrong. Thompson, as I alluded to in the second paragraph of this post, has his own side now. He has done the recruiting and choosing of the players on the list. There simply are no excuses as to why they have performed so badly. There's a reason, but a reason is far from an excuse. The reason being they (the players) are not upto the demands of AFL football, or, because Thompson cannot communicate his messages properly. That, or he is just a dud of a coach - I take this option.

On the day of the match, Thompson struggles to make productive moves on the field. If the other side is on a roll and has kicked the last 2 - 3 goals, Thompson just lets them kick 7 or 8. To make matters worse, he doesn't even know how to stop it. Quite simply, it's a joke. I personally thought with Creswell and Hinkley coming to the club as assistants, that this may change a little bit. However, after two games, it has already become abundantly clear that they have no 'real' say in what goes on. Despite what you may read in the papers.

Certainly, those are the onfield worries I have with Mark Thompson. There are plenty more factors (off the field) however, which i suppose are interlinked in many ways to how he performs as a senior coach.

When i look over all the puff-up articles written about Geelong in the off season, in which Thompson is quoted making an outrageous statement - "We'll make the 8 etc etc... three - four words spring to mind - 1) Deluded 2) Naive and 3) Deceit/dishonesty.

1 - Deluded/Naive

Thompson honestly believes he has a Championship side. Over the course of his tenure, I and my fellow supporters have heard him promise - and demand from his players - results. This year, he came out and said in typical Thompson fashion, that Geelong, his side, was going to make the final 8. Now, my decision may be a little hasteful (Which i fervently doubt) but i can't see Geelong making the finals this year.

2 - Deceit/Dishonesty

Bomber, as we all like to call him, lies to the supporters. The injury list being a prime example. If you head over to www.gfc.com.au and check out our injury list, you'll probably see Foster...wait a minute, you'll either see a whole list of players out for two weeks, or players who are injured (Ablett) but not accounted for - no listed on the injury list.

There's more, but that's the general gist of things.

Originally posted by Cat In A Hat
Mick Turner as a person is a jerk but I often think he says some intelligent things on K-Rock, 95.5, Geelong's radio station. I love K-Rock cos its so biased when commentating.

Mick Turner always gets it right - His assessment of Luke Hodge excluded ;)

Is it fair for Thompson to be made the scapegoat here? No doubt, if the failure continues then he will be the first to go, and it will probably be of his own accord given that he is contracted until the end of 2005.

I cant help but feel sorry for the man. When he came on board at the end of 1999 there was very little genuine talent for him to work with (unlike Matthews at Brisbane and Malthouse at Collingwood). He has tried on numerous occassions to attract established key position players to the club, but the 'travel down the highway' factor has scuttled those efforts each and every time. Meanwhile, he has done reasonaby well with the players at his disposal and the club has never finished lower than 12th, but this has also meant a lack of badly needed top draft picks.

The club is crying out for stars, and it is becoming painfully obvious that the only way for Geelong to achieve this is by doing some time in the cellar. Problem for Thompson is that this should have occurred in 2000-2002, he personally cant afford for that to happen now.

Its a classic Catch 22 situation.

Originally posted by Ramma
p&p - as you are Thompson's most outspoken critic on these boards, what is it about him that doesn't gel with you? Style, game-plan, presentation, whole package...?? Specifics please.

First let me say that i've been a critic of Thompson since day one.

Four main areas about Thompson frustrate me, they being, his gameplan, his lack of emotion, his ego and his 'shrug the shoulders' routine.

I've seen the Thompson coached Geelong side play live some 65 times, i still do not know what his gameplan is. All i can ascertain is that he prefers the midfielders to drift back, rather than going forward.

I have asked many people involved with the club about his gameplan and i'm yet to get a definitive answer. No one, Thompson included, seems to know exactly what the gameplan is.

You can have the best list in the land, if you haven't got an effective gameplan, you won't do much.

Onto his lack of emotion. Mark Thompson has absolutely no emotional tie to my football club, that is shown not only by his demeanour, but also by his unwillingness to relocate to Geelong.

He approaches the role as that of a job, nothing more.

If we win, you might get a wry grin, if we lose, he doesn't seem to be angered, whilst we long suffering fans are sitting in the stands literally tearing our hair out.

We want to know that the coach is hurting, just like we are.

Onto his ego. I've yet to ever see him take some form of blame for our poor form. It's either the players fault, or he makes an excuse.
He needs to put the ego aside, accept the responsibilty that comes with being a coach and admit he has made mistakes.

As for the 'shrug the shoulders' thing. Whenever we lose badly, Thompson is at a complete loss to explain why it happened. To me, that is unacceptable.
As senior coach, he should be able to pinpoint reasons why we lost, he clearly can't do that.

Our club has gone backwards since Thompson arrived, despite the talent base improving, that alone should be enough to see him walk away.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
First let me say that i've been a critic of Thompson since day one.

Four main areas about Thompson frustrate me, they being, his gameplan, his lack of emotion, his ego and his 'shrug the shoulders' routine.

I've seen the Thompson coached Geelong side play live some 65 times, i still do not know what his gameplan is. All i can ascertain is that he prefers the midfielders to drift back, rather than going forward.

I have asked many people involved with the club about his gameplan and i'm yet to get a definitive answer. No one, Thompson included, seems to know exactly what the gameplan is.

You can have the best list in the land, if you haven't got an effective gameplan, you won't do much.

Onto his lack of emotion. Mark Thompson has absolutely no emotional tie to my football club, that is shown not only by his demeanour, but also by his unwillingness to relocate to Geelong.

If we win, you might get a wry grin, if we lose, he doesn't seem to be angered, whilst we long suffering fans are sitting in the stands literally tearing our hair out.

Onto his ego. I've yet to ever see him take some form of blame for our poor form. It's either the players fault, or he makes an excuse.
He needs to put the ego aside, accept the responsibilty that comes with being a coach and admit he has made mistakes.

As for the 'shrug the shoulders' thing. Whenever we lose badly, Thompson is at a complete loss to explain why it happened. To me, that is unacceptable.
As senior coach, he should be able to pinpoint reasons why we lost, he clearly can't do that.

Our club has gone backwards since Thompson arrived, despite the talent base improving, that alone should be enough to see him walk away.

Fair enough.
Just a couple of points: his predecessor didn't live in Geelong either...did Blighty? Given Ayres' next role was in Adelaide...........not sure that shows a lack of committment, though. Hell, you probably lost a (decent) signing over summer because of the location of Geelong.
Maybe Thompson is just not an emotive person - I don't really remember him as one as a player. Nothing wrong being humble as a winner (unless it's a GF - even then there's still next year). Can't disagree when your side loses, though.
Finishing 9-13/14 is definitely a no-win situation these days. Still, players of the ilk of Scarlett, Ling, Harley, etc, tough nuts, have started, or at least prospered since Thompson took over...ditto Ablett, Kelly, etc - can't be all bad news. I do, however, think he's lost the plot with Ben Graham.
Thanks for the reply p&p - puts it a little more into perspective.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky

Just on this, i read an article along similar lines. A couple of snippets from it.

Time the coach took a hit - Graham Bicknell

SO it's the players fault - again.

Oh, yes, the Cats have injuries. So do other clubs, it's a collision based game. It happens.

Ok, so Geelong has a young team, perhaps as has been suggested some of them aren't up to AFL standard, but what incensed this observer when I picked up the Addy yesterday morning was that at no stage did Mark Thompson mention himself in regard to this appalling start to the season.. A season which is over before it's barely begun.

So the question has to be asked. Is Mark Thompson a good coach? Those surrounding him will tell you he is, but where's the evidence? Yes, he's a nice bloke but we know where nice blokes finish.

Its all very well to use words such as "passion" "commitment" and "standing up" but where is Mark Thompson's passion and commitment to the city by the bay?

He doesn't live in Geelong. What an indicment on the town that is.

Despite being in his fifth year he choses to live in Essendon. He drives down to Skilled Stadium, then he goes back to Melbourne. There is no commitment to the Geelong community.

Certainly Geelong doesn't get any financial benefit from the Thompson family.

His kids go to school in Melbourne, his wife shops in Melbourne, he pays his rates to the Moonee Valley City Council.

In an ambassadorial role interstate or overseas when he tells people what he does for a living, do people ask him where he lives and do they look sideways at him when he replies? They should.

Mark Thompson obviously doesn't want to be a part of the Geelong community and live among us.

What sort of signal does that send to his young charges and the diminishing band of Cats supporters?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Ramma
Fair enough.
Just a couple of points: his predecessor didn't live in Geelong either...did Blighty? Given Ayres' next role was in Adelaide...........not sure that shows a lack of committment, though. Hell, you probably lost a (decent) signing over summer because of the location of Geelong.
Maybe Thompson is just not an emotive person - I don't really remember him as one as a player. Nothing wrong being humble as a winner (unless it's a GF - even then there's still next year). Can't disagree when your side loses, though.
Finishing 9-13/14 is definitely a no-win situation these days. Still, players of the ilk of Scarlett, Ling, Harley, etc, tough nuts, have started, or at least prospered since Thompson took over...ditto Ablett, Kelly, etc - can't be all bad news. I do, however, think he's lost the plot with Ben Graham.
Thanks for the reply p&p - puts it a little more into perspective.

All fair points.

As for the players coming on, if you isolate them, you'll see that each is a very strong minded individual. Each of those four (Ablett, Ling, Scarlett and Harley) have overcome many an adversity to prosper at Geelong.

Those who are strong of mind can succeed in any situation, however those who aren't as strong, need to be nurtured, something which obviously hasn't happened given how many of our talented kids haven't come on.

Did anyone listen to 3AW Sports Tonight last night? Dwayne Russell put down Geelong's poor list to three years of poor recruiting, I can't rememer exactly 97- 99? But there were a number of first and second round no names, no longer at the club and the list of present day players at other clubs, who were overlooked, included plenty of top notch players. Wish I had written them down, but I know that Lenny Hayes and Brendan Fevola were among them.

Originally posted by saintsrule
Did anyone listen to 3AW Sports Tonight last night? Dwayne Russell put down Geelong's poor list to three years of poor recruiting, I can't rememer exactly 97- 99? But there were a number of first and second round no names, no longer at the club and the list of present day players at other clubs, who were overlooked, included plenty of top notch players. Wish I had written them down, but I know that Lenny Hayes and Brendan Fevola were among them.

That was based on an article he wrote for the Geelong Advertiser last week.

Whilst we did have a few stuff ups, listing players we could have drafted is plain silly.

The long list he mentioned is rather similar for every other club, save a few minor changes, ie. everyone passed up Simon Black, everyone passed up James Hird four times over.

Stephen Wells has generally done a good job, in one draft he brought in Corey, Spriggs, Chapman, Ling and Enright, however there have also been the Leigh Brockmans and Joel McKay's.

Our drafting of tall players (and trading for them) has been diabolical, but every club has made many a draft mistake.

Originally posted by saintsrule

Yeah, but I reckon you could look at every recruiting officer and point out players he overlooked. Haven't analysed Geelong's recruiting that closely, but Stephen Wells hasn't had much to work with in terms of top picks. Having said that, he seems to have a knack of finding solid players but very few out and out guns.

Just on that "highway factor" - do Geelong supporters think they have tried hard enough to get a big name to Kardinia? I know there was a play for Rawlings last year, but the Cats never seemed to put much on the table other than a chauffer.

And then when they do recruit a tall forward, they seem to pay way over the odds for him. Top 20 picks on Brett Spinks and Jason Mooney!

The forward line is a problem for the Cats, and I think the "tyranny of distance" line is a bit of a cop out. In 5 years I'm sure Thompson could have recruited one decent tall forward if he was that desparate.

True...I wasn't aware of the article Russell wrote. But I think that very few mistakes are made now, even since the late 90s, especially in the first two rounds. Recruiters are taking into account personal qualities as well as natural talent, as the latter alone is not enough to predict success.

I'd have thought the fact that we gave up way too much for Jase Mooney, Spinks and Mitch White, is a fair indication of the desperation of the club to get a key forward.

Jason Mooney was just one decent player the Swans traded due to chronic injury problems.
Thanks for Jude Bolton by the way.
If I was an opposition coach I wouldn't trade with the Swans for a tried player as you can be sure he is damaged goods.

Originally posted by Barry Schneider

If I was an opposition coach I wouldn't trade with the Swans for a tried player as you can be sure he is damaged goods.

Anthony and Shannon go alright.

Remove this Banner Ad

How Long Has Mark Thompson Got Down "Sleepy Hollow" ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back