MRP / Trib. How many weeks for Gaff? LIVE Tribunal Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the tribunal be brought forward? This is quickly turning into a circus. Media will determine his sentence.

When the incident happened it was 3-4, by the end of the game it was 5-6.

The morning after it's worse than Barry Hall's 7 weeks.

yes. you do realise the length of suspension is largely determined by the extent of injury caused?

and as time has gone on since the incident we have learned the extent of Brayshaw's injuries, hence why the length of suggested suspensions have gotten longer.

yes. you do realise the length of suspension is largely determined by the extent of injury caused?

and as time has gone on since the incident we have learned the extent of Brayshaw's injuries.

Just for correctness, the exact extent of the injury was know last night during the presser.

and as time has gone on since the incident we have learned the extent of Brayshaw's injuries, hence why the length of suggested suspensions have gotten longer.

Yes, hence the circus part.

Not defending Gaff. He'll take what he gets.

But the longer this goes, the more farcical it will become now. Brayshaws jaw isn't getting any more broken now.

Emotions are high. Tribunal needs to sit and sit fast.

Just for correctness, the exact extent of the injury was know last night during the presser.

at the presser it was confirmed that he'd likely broken a jaw and going in for surgery. that is true.

since then, we've seen this statement which highlights the horrifying nature of the injury and also seen pictures such as the one below which also further highlight the severity of the hit. I think it's fair that as we're exposed to these details, we'll see the public demand a bigger suspension:

Andrew Brayshaw had surgery overnight to repair his broken jaw and three displaced lower teeth, which have been put back into place and splinted.

Club medical staff have advised that the surgery went well and Brayshaw is now recovering at home with his parents.

He can not eat solid food for four weeks and will not play again this season.

049de55ffbde84da688e930c853471be.jpg

Can the tribunal be brought forward? This is quickly turning into a circus. Media will determine his sentence.

When the incident happened it was 3-4, by the end of the game it was 5-6.

The morning after it's worse than Barry Hall's 7 weeks.

If we wait any longer Gaff might be hanged?

Hard to see where the tribunal will go with this. They'll either go with:
5 weeks - Gaff has a good record and looked genuinely remorseful. Can't have him missing a GF if Eagles go through in straight sets.
6 weeks - Leave it to fate. If it costs him a GF then so be it.
7 weeks - He doesn't deserve any chance of a GF birth and AFL do not want that having any chance of being his return game.

Me personally. I think he's hit for 6. Seems to be the average number that social media has gone with. Tribunal goes with the flow these days and attempts to not make waves.
I would love Gaffy to be available for the GF in case we make it but honestly, he shouldn't be. Sucks that it was one of ours that did it - and he obviously didn't mean to cause the damage he did - but this really does deserve 6 as a starting point.

You can slice and dice his intent any way you like but personal responsibility comes into this. Commit the act, wear the consequences of it, intended or not.

I'm generally not a fan of the AFL considering the outcome when assessing penalties but this was not a poor tackle or clumsy bump, it was a closed fist to the mouth. We know Gaffy and the kind of guy he is, but this is what it is and we are just going to have to wallow in that for a bit.

Yes, hence the circus part.

Not defending Gaff. He'll take what he gets.

But the longer this goes, the more farcical it will become now. Brayshaws jaw isn't getting any more broken now.

Emotions are high. Tribunal needs to sit and sit fast.

Its now moved onto the club. WCE supporters are actually calling up talk back and blaming the club for the incident :drunk:

So frustrating it's obviously not just a punishment for Gaffy but the club. I'd really like to know what was going on in his head when he did it. I know there was some argy bargy, and he didn't intend it but idk, the timing is horrible. I'd like to see him get back in time for the GF if we make it, but we'll see.

Whilst Brayshaw is obviously a victim here, some of the hyperbole about his age and innocence really does a disservice to the bloke himself. He's already one of the toughest players in the whole Freo team, and has rightly been talked up as a captain in waiting. A lot of posters on this board (myself included) wanted him drafted to us early last year and for good reason, given he was already being described as being mature beyond his years. He doesn't become a delicate little child just because he's copped a bloody unfair hit, and to talk about him like that is just dishonest.

No need to add insult to injury to Andy because you're incensed at Gaff's action.

There's just no way he doesn't get at least 6, intentional, high and severe.

He guaranteed won't play again this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly think he went for the chest. He swings his arm low. It doesn't raise much higher than his chest. If you're going for the head you swing higher?

Doesn't excuse the fact that he caught him and it was a terrible act that no one deserves, especially brayshaw.

He'll get 6 weeks min and deservedly so and will have this on his record for his entire career and beyond.

But I don't believe he is malicious player or a 'dog' character.

Dog act for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Its now moved onto the club. WCE supporters are actually calling up talk back and blaming the club for the incident :drunk:

I heard a Freo member had messaged into talk back radio this morning saying they'd torn up their membership because 'this isn't sport anymore'. Emotionally charged response at it's finest.

Honestly, I don't see the comparisons with Halls. Hall had clear intent to harm, took the time to aim and hit his mark.

I genuinely believe Gaff was going for a chest hit but missed. It won't matter at the tribunal given the outcome (nor should it). But it's an important difference in my mind.

Still, the times have changed. Hall being given only 7 weeks was a joke at the time. So 7 weeks for Gaff is certainly not off the table. But I do hope it doesn't mar Gaff's future as being a bigger thug than Hall..

at the presser it was confirmed that he'd likely broken a jaw and going in for surgery. that is true.

since then, we've seen this statement which highlights the horrifying nature of the injury and also seen pictures such as the one below which also further highlight the severity of the hit. I think it's fair that as we're exposed to these details, we'll see the public demand a bigger suspension:

Andrew Brayshaw had surgery overnight to repair his broken jaw and three displaced lower teeth, which have been put back into place and splinted.

Club medical staff have advised that the surgery went well and Brayshaw is now recovering at home with his parents.

He can not eat solid food for four weeks and will not play again this season.

049de55ffbde84da688e930c853471be.jpg

Wow that's a confronting picture.

The Brayshaw's probably should press charges. Has there ever been this much damage caused on the field by a swinging closed fist?

Virtually no-one on an AFL field throws a punch to break someones jaw. Maybe Barry Hall, but even then, i doubt it.

I realise Gaff is a ripping bloke. And i get this out of character for him.

But that does not matter one bit.

He threw a fist at Brayshaw, and now Andy is eating out of a straw for the next month.

As the lawyer said, he's seen guys spend 6 months in jail for a less serious hit than this.

Arguments like "oh but Brayshaw lowered his head" are completely irrelevant. This was not a poorly timed bump, ie a football play that just went wrong. This was a punch 200m off the ball. I appreciate you are trying to defend the reputation of your player but this is indefensible.
You realise that if it was 200m off the ball, they'd be in the stands, right?

Is there any penalty reduction at the MRP these days for an early guilty plea?

At this point, i am praying he gets only 5 weeks and is potentially available for a grand final

My point was to get some sort of guide as to the punishment. When we last played the Dockers, I did notice they were playing the game very close to the line and the umpires did nothing. I am sure there is more to the incident than meets the eye but unfortunately the AFL will probably use this incident as a precedence for future incidents and go hard at Gaff. I believe Jonas was handled this way.
Im fine with them going really hard at Gaff and throwing 10+ at him just as long from that point forward every incident in the AFL is judged in accordance with it.

Awkward
https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/rid-amateur-footy-of-thugs-nisbett-ng-ya-120561
An amateur WA footballer has a broken jaw after an alleged behind-the-play strike that prompted West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett to call for thugs to be marched out of the game.
Mr Nisbett, whose two sons play in the WAAFL, said the Eagles sponsored the competition and expected games to be in the “right spirit”. Anyone who engaged in extreme violence should be deregistered.
“Guys don’t sign up for this and if you’re going to go outside the laws of the game, you should be punished with the maximum penalty.

“Enough is enough. This has been creeping in for a number of years. It’s not so much the number of incidents but their severity.”

Im fine with them going really hard at Gaff and throwing 10+ at him just as long from that point forward every incident in the AFL is judged in accordance with it.

Our guy caved in an opposition players face with a closed fist.

Your call that all future cases be judged based on this reminds me of this cartoon:

pain_rating.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back