I could've played on: Matthew Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no designated CHF or FF currently on the Essendon list.

Sure, you have "options" but none are certain starters.

My point is, Lloyd would have at least been a "walk-up start" at FF.

Did you actually watch any Essendon games? When was the last time Lloyd played a really good game?

Round 7 against Hawthorn, playing on the very same kid who kept him goalless in round 22. Lloyd was finished.

Unfortunately, and this happens at any club, you have your experienced players who know when it's time and those who don't. Lloydy started 2009 reasonably well before fading out and then completely disappearing altogether in the second half of the season. There's nothing to suggest 2010 would've been better than that for him.

Extremely disappointed he didn't reach 1000 goals or even 300 games considering he started playing so young but he just didn't have it in him any more. Really makes you appreciate an Alastair Lynch when one comes along... I took Lloyd's longevity for granted based on how long Lynchy was around for.

I have no qualms with Knights vigorous undertakings at Essendon. He wants young blokes who are loyal to him and his cause and he'll be ruthless in cleaning out players if needed. He's just one of those coaches who wants to take a club by the balls and maybe he's been squeezing our plums a little harder than needed ... but it's a welcome "harden the **** up" to the passengers we've had in recent years.

How handy would he be now with Neagle breaking down yet again.

Players of his calibre are once in a lifetime. They simply do not grow on trees.

With no currently designated FF or CHF, Lloyd would have been perfect to play in the goal square for at least one more season to help nurture and develop some of the next generation.

And all champions hit the wall at some point in time.

Hurley was more impressive in his only game at FF than Lloyd was at any stage this season. He made the right call to pull the pin.

Knights is going to cop some flack for making the hard decisions but atleast he has the balls to make them. The easy option would have been to play Lloyd out of the goal square in 2010 so everyone is happy.

Maybe he learn't from his mistake to give Lucas 1 more year when it was obvious he was finished.

BTW you should know that Neagle is our designated FF. He will be more advanced this year than he was last year. Atleast he will get a pre season this time around.

One thing i find amusing is how peoples opinions of Knights have changed in a short space of time.

When he was signed to essendon the general perception amongst most outsiders was that he was going to be a soft coach that wouldn't have the balls to make the hard calls. Apparently our list was terrible and needed cleaning out and Hardwick was seen as the only man that had the balls to do it.

Now two years on, Knights has shown that he will do whatever it takes to get Essendon back up there again and people are taking the opposite view. All of a sudden our list wasn't that bad and didn't need cleaning out. two years ago were were being labbelled dads army but now it is completely different. These players should continue to play on for as long as they want and they should get the ultimate say in what happens at our club.

I wish people would make up their minds.

Lloyd's carreer was over the moment everybody realised he deliberatly
dived forward whenever a defender touched his back. ;)
Which was a shame, as the guy could take a great, genuine
contested mark. I dont think he said anything wrong, most
Essendon fans that will actually talk to me, seem to be reflecting
a similar sentiment. Yes he was offered a token contract,
*NOT* to be what he was, a Full Forward. Even up the field
this year I thought he was still showing the strong marking skills
he always possessed. And as the Hawthorn players and coach
stated "He's the best sniper in the game". (Also witnessed in his
final game) I feel he had much left to offer the true Essendon
spirit ! But as Lloydy said, only time will tell if Knights is making
the right moves.

In response to SJ05 and Jonesy1987, the one game that stands out in my mind out of ANY Essendon player in season 2009 was Matthew Lloyd against Carlton the first time round (round 3 or 5 something like that).

He dominated 2 opponents all night. Hands were strong, conversion was on song and he single-handedly won that game for the Bombers. His leadership was also second to none.

I for one am not supporting knights per se, the jury remains out on whether he is a decent coach.
I still doubt his game plan and the list is heavily reliant of some youngsters who have been dreadful in the time they have been there.

But I am supporting his right to be the coach and not be dictated to by senior players.

But surely, it's just as much Lloyd's right to say "look, I don't really agree with that direction so it's best I hang up the boots"?

In response to SJ05 and Jonesy1987, the one game that stands out in my mind out of ANY Essendon player in season 2009 was Matthew Lloyd against Carlton the first time round (round 3 or 5 something like that).

He dominated 2 opponents all night. Hands were strong, conversion was on song and he single-handedly won that game for the Bombers. His leadership was also second to none.

His best game this season was against the hawks first time around and he played the majority of the game from HF/CHF.

He was also very good against the Blues.

He played 2-3 good games in the first half of the season.

I agree that was his best game all season, along with the first Hawks game, but they were the only shots he fired all year. Sensational at his best, twice a year is nowhere near enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Youngsters who have been dreadful so far in their careers that you will rely on heavily next year include gumbleton neagle laycock davey and jetta

But you aleady know that.

Since when are Davey and Laycock youngsters...
Hardly fair on Jetta, Neagle and Gumbleton, all have carried injuries for awhile.

Hurley could replace Neagle in a heart beat.
Reimers, Zaharakis, Williams and Monfries could easy cover Davey and Jetta
Laycock will struggle to get in the side over Ryder, Hille and maybe Bellchambers

With the exception of Gumbleton those players are borderline or not even in our 22.

Very poor observations.

i'm just glad he didn't get to 1000 goals. even though it's not the early retirement that denied him. that hamstring injury basically cost him the all-time record. took at least 2 years off his career. plus the games he missed from the season he did it in.

i'm just glad he didn't get to 1000 goals. even though it's not the early retirement that denied him. that hamstring injury basically cost him the all-time record. took at least 2 years off his career. plus the games he missed from the season he did it in.

Shit post.

Should never, ever celebrate an injury.

To improve, you need most of the guys I mentioned on the park as well of course as getting Hille back. Therefore you are currently reliant upon them - present tense and future tense. And so far, due mainly to injury, they have been dreadful. Thats not their fault but its still fact all the same.

We have never relied on them and if they don't ever improve they will be delisted and it won't affect us one bit.

Jetta is a spud that is out of depth at AFL level (thus far). How do we rely on him? It's like saying Collingwood currently rely on Rusling and if they are going to improve in the future he must start to improve.

We need the players who have shown something to improve. players that have had some sort of influence on games. Players like Hurley, Pears, Hooker, Zaharakis, Houli, Riemers, Lonergan, Hocking, Ryder etc etc. These are the guys that need to take the next step for us to improve. Not some random players that have never been relied on for anything in the past.

If we get anything out of the likes of Jetta, Gumbleton and co it will be a bonus.

To improve, you need most of the guys I mentioned on the park as well of course as getting Hille back. Therefore you are currently reliant upon them - present tense and future tense. And so far, due mainly to injury, they have been dreadful. Thats not their fault but its still fact all the same.

The players we need to improve are Reimers, Houli, Myers, Hocking, and Prismall (the midfield youth) plus Gumbleton. With the exception of Gumby you're way off the mark.

One of my first posts here and I don't mean to be argumentative but Hawks fans are entitled to remember Lloyd for his last match without a lot of respect.

Take your point but that's where I draw the line.

Lloyd really is doing everything to make sure he's remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Shit post.

Should never, ever celebrate an injury.
i think you have misinerpreted the post. when lloyd did the injury it was of minimal benefit to hawthorn so i did not celebrate it.

looking back retrospectively, the injury is more responsible than lloyd's being retired for him not kicking 1000 goals. that doesn't mean i can't be happy he didn't make the milestone.

Lloyd hates Knights as much as most of the Essendon list do. I'm surprised it isn't common knowledge as yet.

If you believe the rumours, it is the senior players that have issues with Knights, from all reports he gets on fine with the younger blokes.

The senior blokes were on a pretty easy wicket during the last couple of seasons Sheeds was in charge. Ironically, the senior players refused to back Sheeds because of the lack of gameplan, focus and structure he brought to the team.

These are exactly the things Knights have brought to the club, so either the senior players are hypocritical w***ers and Knights is right to be weeding them out, or everyone reporting rumour as fact (both the media and people on forums) are nothing more than w***ers who want to sell copy or look like big shots.

These are exactly the things Knights have brought to the club, so either the senior players are hypocritical w***ers and Knights is right to be weeding them out, or everyone reporting rumour as fact (both the media and people on forums) are nothing more than w***ers who want to sell copy or look like big shots.

Or perhaps Knights treating them like they are disposable has somewhat disenchanted them...

Who knows? None of us do.

Why make accusations over a subject you know absolutely nothing about?

Unless you are secretly inside the club and know the relationships?

Remove this Banner Ad

I could've played on: Matthew Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back