I dont think Carey is in the top 100 players to play the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Stefan Carey wasn't that good

Get stuffed.

I don't care about stats. One thing Carey did do was win a game in the last quarter when it had to be won. North would be down by 3 goals on a Friday night game and his teammates, the opposition and the crowd knew he was the man for the moment. And he wouls usually deliver.

Despite double or triple teaming him at these times he would somehow influence the outcome of the game. The entire North game plan and the entire opposition strategy was centred around Carey.

I think Selwood has the same aura about him... is unbelievable when his team most needs him.

Also both are known as the Duck.

I don't rate Carey as a person and for a long time didn't see him as the best CHF in the game's history but the otherday I watched part of a match from the 1990s between Essendon v North and by any measure he would be in the top 100 players of all time, his ability to take possession of the ball and make something happen often against multiple players puts him up there.

Hard to assess as a Carlton supporter as Carey never got the better of SOS.

Plus Kernahan betters him on all key stats including goals per game and (by a margin) goals per game in finals.

Think you'll find Glen Jakovich had the better of Carey too ... Great player Carey, no doubt ... But Sticks was better under pressure and as a captain

Kernahan's combined Glenelg-Carlton record is astonishing.

More games at AFL level than Carey (almost 400 more when combined with Glenelg)
More games as an AFL Captain than Carey (may never be topped)
Equal on premierships, more when including Glenelg (5 including Glenelg)
Equal on premiership as a captain
More goals per game
More goals per game in finals
And Kernahan averaged more than 4 goals per game in State of Origin - more than Lockett!

Is there another key forward in the history of the game whose goals per game average went up in finals and State of Origin?

Yes, Carey played along with Horse, but Carlton had a game plan that involved our mids getting more involved in goal-scoring than North.

Not interested in nicknames, and even AA gongs are highly political (though Sticks has five including his SA days).

He stands, at the very least, alongside Carey.
Your too one eyed...get your hand off it

For a long time, I was a Leigh Matthews fan, in terms of the 'out & out' best player I've seen. A rover goes down to the goal square as permanent forward and kicks a ton. That's never been done and never likely to be done.

However when I think of it, from what I've seen of Gary Ablett Junior, his impact on the teams he's played for, I rate him the equal of Matthews. Incredible player. His old man would make my top five of the best I've seen.

Wayne Carey is in my best three. He was the difference between North winning a flag and not making the eight. His achievements are extraordinary and speak for themselves. I concur he's probably not in the best 100 blokes to have played but he's definitely in the best 100 footballers the game has seen.

Anyone who does not rate Wayne Carey in the top 100 players of all time, should cash in their chips as a footy fan, cease to be a BF member and take a long walk off a short pier to save the family from having to spend money to keep him/her alive. Lost their marbles, that's what I'm saying.

Pagen's paddock was almost the start of the playing around with structure that is dominant now. Carey did really well from the game plan being structured for him to be one out facing goal inside 50. You have to be a dominant player to do what he did. But IMHO he was the right player at the right time in the right place.

Nowadays he would have his space restricted and would have extra men all the time. He would adjust. But to the same dominant extent???

Anyway, one of the all time great's and saying not top 100 is silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carey was an amazing footballer. To suggest he isn’t even in Top 10 calculations is laughable. Go and watch the game against Melbourne when he kicked 11 playing on David Neitz. How many players can do that once in their career???
I recall Leigh Matthews saying around this time that he thought the gap between Carey and the next best player in the competition was the greatest he had ever witnessed.

I wonder if Franklin would make the top 200?

Paul Roos never got to coach Lance Franklin at Sydney but he’s seen him play plenty of times and is well-placed to judge just how good ‘Buddy’ is.

The former Swans coach was asked who he thought was the better forward, Franklin or Wayne Carey, and was unequivocal in his answer. "He’s (Buddy) nowhere near Wayne Carey," Roos told Triple M Adelaide.

"We’re all Buddy fans,” Roos concluded, “but if I had to pick between Buddy or Wayne Carey, I’d pick Wayne Carey every week."

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/...s-dunstall-lockett/16300oql24r2g1cslnvada6idx

Hard to assess as a Carlton supporter as Carey never got the better of SOS.

Plus Kernahan betters him on all key stats including goals per game and (by a margin) goals per game in finals.

Yet sos got dragged against modra in your glory years.

Yet Carey dominated state games for sa better than kernahan.

Yet sos got dragged against modra in your glory years.

Yet Carey dominated state games for sa better than kernahan.

You might need to explain that one. (And yes, Modra got hold of SOS a few times, once memorably kicking 12. Lockett did the same. Carey never did).

You might need to explain that one. (And yes, Modra got hold of SOS a few times, once memorably kicking 12..

Firstly modra kicked 13 infamoudly in round one 94 against Carlton. They dragged silvagni after 8 in a little over a half

Careys break out game was against Victoria playing for sa in 92. Sa won. Kernahan breakout game was in 84 against Victoria playing for sa. We lost.

Carey also never accepted brown paper bags under the table like kernahan did

Granted modra was better than Carey but not by much.

I think Hobbs should get on to some crossword puzzles.

You might need to explain that one. (And yes, Modra got hold of SOS a few times, once memorably kicking 12. Lockett did the same. Carey never did).

As has been proven in this thread already, that's not true. In round 9 of 1993 Carey mauled Silvagni, gathering 20 disposals, 6 marks, and kicking 5.3. Silvagni was 25, Carey was 21. Stop spreading erroneous information.

I know I missed most of his career but from a stats point of view Wayne Carey wasn't that impressive, not compared to other players of his era anyway and I don't get why he is held in such high regard.

Haha

Oh you're serious.....

He didn't play the Lance Franklin "CHF", it was during an era where players held their positions.

Carey played from 40-85m out from goal, not leading out from FF like the modern "CHF" does a lot of the time.

If Champion Data existed back from the start of his career and collated goal assists and score involvements, he would absolutely dwarf every other forward that has ever played the game by a huge margin.

He played in an era when it was all about the forward kicking 100-150 goals a year to be successful, he bucked the trend and kicked 70+ (A huge amount for a "TRUE" CHF at the time) and is one of the best "team first" forwards ever.

This in an era of a combination of the best backmen and key forwards ever as well.

He was essentially what Magic Johnson was to the NBA in the 80's as a comparison. Maybe not the best scorer of all time, but an absolute wizard and the greatest of all time in lifting his team mates and making them better through his footy IQ and play. His general skill level for a key forward (Marking, Kicking, Ground level ability, Agility etc) is probably only rivaled by Ablett Snr in my opinion.

Wayne Carey in the 1994 finals series is the best player of all time, period.

Last edited:
Firstly modra kicked 13 infamoudly in round one 94 against Carlton. They dragged silvagni after 8 in a little over a half

Careys break out game was against Victoria playing for sa in 92. Sa won. Kernahan breakout game was in 84 against Victoria playing for sa. We lost.

Carey also never accepted brown paper bags under the table like kernahan did

Granted modra was better than Carey but not by much.

lel

I am not entirely sure what Goodes has to do with this. I always find that people that bring up (out of the blue) the racist booing of Goodes tend to be the ones who were completely okay with the racism, and given you seem to be a fan of Carey it does not surprise me you are not quite at 2017 from a social standpoint.

what a turd of a post. different opinion =
racist? **** i hate that attitude.

I wonder if Franklin would make the top 200?

Paul Roos never got to coach Lance Franklin at Sydney but he’s seen him play plenty of times and is well-placed to judge just how good ‘Buddy’ is.

The former Swans coach was asked who he thought was the better forward, Franklin or Wayne Carey, and was unequivocal in his answer. "He’s (Buddy) nowhere near Wayne Carey," Roos told Triple M Adelaide.

"We’re all Buddy fans,” Roos concluded, “but if I had to pick between Buddy or Wayne Carey, I’d pick Wayne Carey every week."

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/...s-dunstall-lockett/16300oql24r2g1cslnvada6idx

Buddy has kicked a lot more goals than Carey and Buddy is definitely not a traditional key forward. Buddy will end his career as probably the highest scoring CHF of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think Carey is in the top 100 players to play the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back