I see it but I (still) don't believe it.....

Remove this Banner Ad

.But I was so seriously affected by that game, that I think I almost had a form of PTSD. I kept getting flashbacks of the Davis mark and goal, with the associated feeling of horror. I reckon it was a couple of years until the flashbacks stopped and I could think about the incident without pain. It was really only our amazing winning form in 2007, capped off with the premiership, that fully erased the trauma.

Was the 07 premiership the cure?

:cry::cry::cry::cry: I literally cannot remember the last time I've been that mad.
After that game I was more gutted than angry because that was an age when I supported Geelong with hope rather than expectation.

When I think anger I think the '08 Grand Final, '13 QF against Fremantle in Geelong and Enright's 300th this year against Melbourne.

At the end of all those games I was fuming.

Fair call by Hudo though. Imagine the feelings we all felt and having to bottle them in light of doing your job. Absolute professional
Unlike the whacker who was commentating alongside him, who was openly rooting for the Swans all game

Worst game of football I've ever sat through. I bawled my eyes out for around 24 hours afterwards and to this day have refused to watch any type of replay.

2008 GF just left me numb but in the back of my mind I knew we'd already achieved the ultimate success the year before.

The night of the 2005 semi, I genuinely thought our club was cursed and we wouldn't win a flag in my lifetime.

Yes, definitely.

I'm sure the 2007 premiership exorcised many people's demons!
Yeah. I genuinely believed I would never see a Geelong premiership in my lifetime. I've seen 3, and I want more!!

I was there, in fact it was my first ever trip to the SCG. Sitting just to the right of the goals where Davis kicked it. Was in total shock after that finish - to this day I still have no godly idea how I got back to my hotel room in the city. Credit to the heap of Swans fans sitting around me though, they were all very good about it, didn't carry on - said bad luck etc.

I was there, in fact it was my first ever trip to the SCG. Sitting just to the right of the goals where Davis kicked it. Was in total shock after that finish - to this day I still have no godly idea how I got back to my hotel room in the city. Credit to the heap of Swans fans sitting around me though, they were all very good about it, didn't carry on - said bad luck etc.

Yeah Swans fans are alright I've found.

Freo are the feral one eyed animals.

When I think anger I think the '08 Grand Final, '13 QF against Fremantle in Geelong and Enright's 300th this year against Melbourne.

At the end of all those games I was fuming.

Not so much the Melbourne loss this year - for one thing we are now an average side, for another thing no player milestone comes close to a final in importance - but those two finals losses are by far the worst of the last decade. To me anyway. It's one thing to lose and be valiant, when realistically you weren't going to win the flag anyway (2005 semi-final fits that). But it's very different to blow a premiership when you were either a) the best team by far in the competition (2008); or as good as any and had a 5-0 record against the top 4 teams going into the finals (2013).

At least we atoned for 2008, although that doesn't make up for it. We haven't atoned for 2013 and it's not looking likely for a while.

I went on my own to this game.

When the siren sounded I just sat there slumped for about ten minutes completely and utterly destroyed, looking around disbelieving at every other Cats fan in stony silence as Sydney fans went ape droppings.

Was convinced we were never ever going to win a premiership.

Was a surreal feeling, like a scene from a David Lynch film.

I feel sick just thinking about it again.

Thanks for dredging up bad memories, ya big jerk.

;)

I remember calmly standing up after Davis kicked his 4th, walking outside, picking up a plank of wood, and just about destroying the back fence.
Nice to know I wasn't the only one to completely lose their shit at that game...
Biggest dummy spit I had was watching the Nick Davis game and when he proceeded to kick that goal to kill off the game, I then got off my great grandmothers couch, grabbed my cricket bat and just continuously hit the couch until my arms were tired.
:mad::$

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went on my own to this game.

When the siren sounded I just sat there slumped for about ten minutes completely and utterly destroyed, looking around disbelieving at every other Cats fan in stony silence as Sydney fans went ape droppings.

Was convinced we were never ever going to win a premiership.

Was a surreal feeling, like a scene from a David Lynch film.

I feel sick just thinking about it again.

Thanks for dredging up bad memories, ya big jerk.

;)
Let's face it though.

If we were not a premiership-quality side in 2004, we were a chasm away in 2005.

Our second half of the year was ordinary and many were surprised we even made a semi.

Would have been belted by St Kilda the next week.

2008 hurt a thousand times more.
Yeah, one hundred percent this. My memory is that StKilda's best was just a smidge better than everyone else's in quite an even year, they had a thumping lead-in to the finals but just got upset on the night against Sydney.

Their forward line was pretty incredible - Riewoldt, Gherig, Hamill, Milne and a pre-concussion Kosi was an intimidating lineup. They were just one key defender short.

Yeah, one hundred percent this. My memory is that StKilda's best was just a smidge better than everyone else's in quite an even year, they had a thumping lead-in to the finals but just got upset on the night against Sydney.

Their forward line was pretty incredible - Riewoldt, Gherig, Hamill, Milne and a pre-concussion Kosi was an intimidating lineup. They were just one key defender short.

They were one other thing short too.

A coach.

I was at that match in front of the old Doug Walters next to the hill and remembering being slumped in the chair for 10 minutes after the siren. Like some have already said I don't think we had much chance the next week had we won. I have never watched the match but remember that Scarlett was awesome on Hall.

The 2008 GF hurt way more because of knowing what the feeling is like when you win one. Although it does not take the pain away that made winning in 09 and 11 so much better.

Remove this Banner Ad

I see it but I (still) don't believe it.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back