I see it but I (still) don't believe it.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Was listening to that game on radio at the time and turned it off to go do something else when we were 50 odd points up.

Come back to check the scores in the final quarter...
giphy.gif

I was watching the delayed telecast, early in Q4 when my brother arrived for tea. I said to him "F, we're going to lose this". He didn't say anything, but I took one look at his face and turned off the TV.

take two. went to all the grand finals from 89 onwards that involved geelong and have never watched 94 or 95 replays. just couldnt put myself through it. watched 89 and 92 just to see what mistakes could have been avoided to maybe deliver us joy. i reckon i have seen parts of 08 whilst at a friends house and it was on a footy flashbacks telecast. wouldnt watch it again by choice. gees that day hurt a lot. the 05 semi final loss to sydney was just soul destroying. i turned to my mate that night and stated that we were destined to never win the flag. we just seemed cursed. well 3 flags later and Im a happy man. however the 2013 prelim loss was a bitter pill to swallow. my 7 year old son brushed off the loss but i left the ground close to tears that night. we made some blunders midway through that last quarter that really cost us. dont discount our 04 prelim loss to brisbane as well. we had a great chance in that game and kept kicking points in the second half to shoot ourselves in the foot.

But that didn't lose Geelong the game. Geelong had already defeated North Melbourne at the MCG under lights that year.

I see what you're saying re 97, but we were unfortunate to effectively be 'rewarded' for finishing second with a game against Nth at their home ground, followed by a trip to Adelaide who finished below us. It was screwy enough the AFL acted and changed the system.

I see what you're saying re 97, but we were unfortunate to effectively be 'rewarded' for finishing second with a game against Nth at their home ground, followed by a trip to Adelaide who finished below us. It was screwy enough the AFL acted and changed the system.

Blame Collingwood.

We were all but certain to play Sydney that week, until the Pies (who were terrible) rolled North and knocked them from 6th to 7th.

Also, Paul Lynch got injured (surprise surprise) and that didn't help.

Our recent era brought us great success but there was heartbreak!
04-05 we weren't winning the flag but were still tough losses to take. 05 in particular.
08 was just awful, we were something else this year and the hawks were way before their time
10 qf with lingys disallowed goal was shattering. Leads us to a gf if we win but the pies had us that year.
12 ef was shattering because it was freo, but we werent winning it that year
13 was awful. Shouldn't lose to freo in a home qf then we threw away a golden lead against the hawks. The one year i believe we would of won it. Freo were jittery grand final day
14 was embarassing to go straight sets, but we were shot come finals and ladder position flattered us. Hawks clearly best side.

The grand final wins make up for it, but woth success almost always comes heartbreak along the way

Blame Collingwood.

We were all but certain to play Sydney that week, until the Pies (who were terrible) rolled North and knocked them from 6th to 7th.

Aaaand probably the best centre-half forward of the modern era pulled one out of his backside.

Our recent era brought us great success but there was heartbreak!
04-05 we weren't winning the flag but were still tough losses to take. 05 in particular.
08 was just awful, we were something else this year and the hawks were way before their time
10 qf with lingys disallowed goal was shattering. Leads us to a gf if we win but the pies had us that year.
12 ef was shattering because it was freo, but we werent winning it that year
13 was awful. Shouldn't lose to freo in a home qf then we threw away a golden lead against the hawks. The one year i believe we would of won it. Freo were jittery grand final day
14 was embarassing to go straight sets, but we were shot come finals and ladder position flattered us. Hawks clearly best side.

The grand final wins make up for it, but woth success almost always comes heartbreak along the way
When you look at it like that we had more heartache than success! :(

When you look at it like that we had more heartache than success! :(
You know what grinds my gears?the bloody Hawks run around getting in ever ones face with we are the most successful side of the last 50 years,true but the decade they decided to be shit had to be the decade of the priority picks,enter Hodge and Roughead f--k me they are charmed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blame Collingwood.

Didn't help that we were 5-6 goals up against the Swans in the last term in Round 22 that year, but put the cue in the rack late and let Sydney kick the last couple of goals, costing us top spot and a game against Brisbane as we missed out on top spot by less than 2%.

Think Carey did his shoulder in Rd 1 or 2, & was out for a good half of the year... Struggled a bit when he finally came back, & that qualifying final he played against us was his best game for the year by some distance.

I remember that awful Friday night well. That empty hollow feeling just felt so Geelong. I remember thinking we were cursed. Being four goals up, the hype excitement dreaming of that elusive flag. In a sick way games like that made the premiership's so much better. I remember that feeling so vividly. I also felt it last year after North Melbourne, Hawthorn prelim 2013, 08 gf. But that one was so much worse. The success eases pain I guess.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk
Even now if we're six goals up, I still shudder + think the oppo team could come from behind. I swear that because of that I'm never sure we've won until the siren goes. Remember when Pies fans started to leave in Q4 of 11GF + I asked my friend why they were leaving, to which he said because they've lost. Then Scotty did that victory pump + I thought we might have won, even when players on the bench, coaches, trainers, runners were all hugging + celebrating, I just thought must wait for the siren to sound before believing we'd won. Still scarred :(

I can re-watch any game expect the 2008 grand final.

I walked outside and punched the fence. It took a while for my hand to recover, but it was worth it.
Me too, even 89 but 2008 just makes me so :mad: especially the Poos+Wees cheating rushed behinds :mad:

This game and the 1997 semi final gets my eye twitching like Moe from the Simpsons. Particularly the latter over the former...
There were some soul destroying Finals losses in the 90's, made me despise Hawks, WCE, North + Carlton :mad:
Losing the 1991 semi final to Poos+Wees + GAS was suspended :( + lost the PF to WCE :mad:
Losing the 1992 GF to WCE :cry: Eagles kicked five goals to Geelong's one in Q3 + Sumich kicked six goals. Heartbreaking day :mad:
Losing the 1994 GF to WCE with Eagles steamrolling us :mad: :cry: saw Blight resign. Remember reading it was this loss that made Victoria hate us.
Losing the 1995 GF to Carlton on such a wet + windy day, where Carlton just dominated.
Losing the 1996 QF to North :mad: :mad:
Losing the 1997 QF to North :mad: :mad: Lost the SF to Crows :cry: No GAS No Geelong!

How about our 1993 season of horrors? :eek: Missed the six but in the last part of the season defeated five of the top six teams. Lost to Essendon with GAS kicking 14 goals. He kicked 10 goals against North.

Remembering the 90's is the reason, I think I get so :mad: when the DQ's sook about our 14 + 15 seasons :thumbsdown:

There were some soul destroying Finals losses in the 90's, made me despise Hawks, WCE, North + Carlton :mad:
Losing the 1991 semi final to Poos+Wees + GAS was suspended :( + lost the PF to WCE :mad:
Losing the 1992 GF to WCE :cry: Eagles kicked five goals to Geelong's one in Q3 + Sumich kicked six goals. Heartbreaking day :mad:
Losing the 1994 GF to WCE with Eagles steamrolling us :mad: :cry: saw Blight resign. Remember reading it was this loss that made Victoria hate us.
Losing the 1995 GF to Carlton on such a wet + windy day, where Carlton just dominated.
Losing the 1996 QF to North :mad: :mad:
Losing the 1997 QF to North :mad: :mad: Lost the SF to Crows :cry: No GAS No Geelong!

How about our 1993 season of horrors? :eek: Missed the six but in the last part of the season defeated five of the top six teams. Lost to Essendon with GAS kicking 14 goals. He kicked 10 goals against North.

Remembering the 90's is the reason, I think I get so :mad: when the DQ's sook about our 14 + 15 seasons :thumbsdown:
In many respects, the forgettable decade!

In many respects, the forgettable decade!
If any Geelong team was deserving of a flag or three, it was the 89 - 90's team, it proves just how elusive + difficult flags are to win!

Even now if we're six goals up, I still shudder + think the oppo team could come from behind. I swear that because of that I'm never sure we've won until the siren goes. Remember when Pies fans started to leave in Q4 of 11GF + I asked my friend why they were leaving, to which he said because they've lost. Then Scotty did that victory pump + I thought we might have won, even when players on the bench, coaches, trainers, runners were all hugging + celebrating, I just thought must wait for the siren to sound before believing we'd won. Still scarred :(
I was the opposite in 2007. I knew we had it won at half time :cool:

I was the opposite in 2007. I knew we had it won at half time :cool:

I did not "let my hair down" until 3Q time, though. I still had this niggling fear Port might get on a roll

Remove this Banner Ad

I see it but I (still) don't believe it.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back