Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bolton,Clippers,Falcons,Mariners
Just quietly Cale Hooker is going to be a very good player.

He's got some rough edges but some enormous potential. Plays like a cross of Drew Petrie and Adam Goodes.

Could be a real A grader in a few years.

Talk about composure and sticking to his much more celebrated opponent throughout the game. He slipped a little in the 3rd, but then again, our team took their foot off the gas for a brief few minutes. Imagine Hurley lining up alongside this dark horse, Fletcher to return and there are strong signs Tyson Slattery will complete this quartet.

Let's not forget Magin, I'll stick my neck out now and say he could well be another Hardwick of the future. Same build, reckless when it comes to tackling, haven't had a chance to see him at Bendigo, but theres much to like about him in the pre season games.

Talk about composure and sticking to his much more celebrated opponent throughout the game. He slipped a little in the 3rd, but then again, our team took their foot off the gas for a brief few minutes. Imagine Hurley lining up alongside this dark horse, Fletcher to return and there are strong signs Tyson Slattery will complete this quartet.

Let's not forget Magin, I'll stick my neck out now and say he could well be another Hardwick of the future. Same build, reckless when it comes to tackling, haven't had a chance to see him at Bendigo, but theres much to like about him in the pre season games.

I've heard real good reports abour young Slattery.

Magin I think is too small but has ability.

Hooker, Cold be anything though.

He's got some rough edges but some enormous potential. Plays like a cross of Drew Petrie and Adam Goodes.

:thumbsu:

Part Petrie Part Goodes= Part All Australian Part Brownlow... Loven it.

Wonder what his tank is like. He does very little thats wrong, I wonder if he could play mid or wing. With HUrley comming in next week, perhaps give Myers a rest and see how that would work out. Actually were playing Saints next week, would be ideal to play on Saint Nick.

Shhh !

I actually really loved that play where he ran backwards with the flight of the ball and jumped into the one-on-one contest. Even though it spilt free and his direct opponent (buddy) kicked the goal, was just great to see him back himself..

There is every possibility that Hooker will become a solid AFL player.

Good recruiting to pick him up in the 4th round of the 2007 Draft.

Hooker could also be an effective forward, as he has the smarts to play this role.

I know that it is early days, but Pears could become an A Grade KB.

Shown a massive amount of improvemnet from this time last year. Composure is the thing that has him in front of Daniher for me. Darcy tends to panic a bit when he gets the ball whereas Cale will hold onto it till the right option is there. All the talk at the end of last year was we had no defenders suddenly its looking very bright down there.

Hooker could also be an effective forward, as he has the smarts to play this role.

Agreed, great recruiting to pick him up late. Hope pears does become a-grade, he has been really good in the past few weeks.

If he can put on a bit of size and strength in the next two years then we have a very versatile player on our hands.

I'd like to see him develop into a mix of Presti and Harry O type stopper who can use his speed and be nuisance value to the gun forwards and kill the contests.

I'm worried about his kicking but he does have a great sidestep and gets his way out of traffic. .. and when he gets caught he manages to free his arms so that's a good sign.

Long way to go though.

I made a comment on SEN (before the season) that we have the best list in terms of structure in the AFL and was laughed off.

Obviously we are not there yet but dammit if Hooker doesn't start to make this look brilliant I cant see.

He is tall, agile, quick and most importantly makes good decisions.

Hooker 196cm
Ryder 197cm
Hurley 194cm
Pears 190cm
Daniher 191cm

Fletcher 199cm

That is what I call depth.

I'm very biased. But I thought Hooker beat Buddy last night. Certianly a great effort to reduce Buddy to only one mark.

One of my favourite plays of the night was in the second quarter, when Hooker played in front of Buddy, took the mark on the second go. He then he gave it to Slatts who stepped Buddy and got it to Winders.

He broke even and Buddy did kill him a few times on the ground.

You can't really do much more than what Hooker did on Buddy. Buddy is a freak and to limit him to five as dangerous as he looked last night was very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know and can't be bothered looking for it, but I said when we drafted him we probably had the steal of the draft.

Had he not contracted Glandular Fever and lost 10-12 kg the year of the draft, he would have went top 20 easily. He was already playing WAFL and doing ok.

He broke even and Buddy did kill him a few times on the ground.

You can't really do much more than what Hooker did on Buddy. Buddy is a freak and to limit him to five as dangerous as he looked last night was very good.

And 2 of his five goals were thrown on the boot from outside 50 and dribbled through with a kind bounce. wasn't beaten often.

And 2 of his five goals were thrown on the boot from outside 50 and dribbled through with a kind bounce. wasn't beaten often.

There was always a worry that Buddy would kick a bigger bag, considering he's averaged over 7 goals per game against us in our last three encounters with Hawthorn against the likes of Fletcher and Ryder. Based on that, I'd say Hooker should be proud of his effort.

I'm very biased. But I thought Hooker beat Buddy last night. Certianly a great effort to reduce Buddy to only one mark.

One of my favourite plays of the night was in the second quarter, when Hooker played in front of Buddy, took the mark on the second go. He then he gave it to Slatts who stepped Buddy and got it to Winders.
Yeah I'd agree. Hooker was very impressive. He and Pears played a huuuge part in our win.

Was also great to see him and Pears really have a dip and physically impose themselves on Franklin and Roughead. Hooker was hastling Franklin all night. I can't remember a contest where Hooker didn't give Franklin a nice cheapy in the breadbasket haha.:D

I was also very impressed with Pears and Hooker. This gives me even more confidence once Hurley gets back. If Pears and Hooker can stand up against the big forwards on a regular basis, it allows Hurley to play more loose, which is great for us, since he generally has good disposal. Hurley really could be the new Fletcher is things pan out.

like the look of hooker a lot. was very impressed with his game on buddy. looks like he has a bit on mongrel in him as well which i like.

like the look of pears, my only worry is that he will be a bit short (at 190cm) to play on the big monsters. but he's done an exceptional job two weeks in a row on bradshaw and roughead, so who knows?

he might end up being more of a flanker, with hurley and hooker taking the key FB and CHB positions

Feel sorry for one of the guys in the back half, when everyone is fit and going, we have as mentioned a plethora of tall options down back,

Hooker 196cm
Ryder 197cm
Hurley 194cm
Pears 190cm
Daniher 191cm

Fletcher 199cm

someone will need to play as a forward possibly? cover the loss of Neagle or Gumby not living up to the hype possbily?

Feel sorry for one of the guys in the back half, when everyone is fit and going, we have as mentioned a plethora of tall options down back,

Hooker 196cm
Ryder 197cm
Hurley 194cm
Pears 190cm
Daniher 191cm
Fletcher 199cm

someone will need to play as a forward possibly? cover the loss of Neagle or Gumby not living up to the hype possbily?

Ryder won't go back to being a key back. And Daniher is probably the one that has played forward the most from what I've understood.

Also, Myers is 190+ too.

Didn't Daniher play more forward than back as a junior? Hurley can play forward too if I'm not mistaken.

Just off topic slightly, I like the idea of having Lovett-Murray up forward. He makes too many bad decisions coming out of defense and fumbles too often. His lack of peripheral vision kills him when he charges like a wounded bull. He's quick off the mark and he always looks dangerous when he gets the ball inside 50. He's enigmatic no doubt but I think the side is better off with him in it and playing up forward.

I hope Knights continues with this and persaveres with Pears, Hooker, Hurley and Myers down back.

The only worry about Hooker is his looks similar to Keplar Bradley and kinda runs like him. Just hopes he turns out a bit better.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we've found a gem

Remove this Banner Ad

Back