If 7 straight games at the MCG leading into finals is an advantage....

Remove this Banner Ad

Then what do you call it when a team has to play 16 games straight on the road to win the premiership?

I’d call it damn impressive. And it’s certainly silenced a lot of the detractors that used that weak argument last year.

Richmond won 13 games outside their home state this year. Has that ever been bettered? I very much doubt it. Possibly the greatest travelling side of all time
They did well, but they did have some advantages - played Geelong, WC and Brisbane all are Metricon and not Gabba/Optus in H and A season. How do they get a favourable fixture against all 3 teams? Their only hard away fixture was Port all season.

RICHMOND are the worst team in history to win 3 flags in 4 years , can’t wait till be are the worst team ever to win 4 flags in 5 years since the demons in the 50s

haters gunna hate

They did well, but they did have some advantages - played Geelong, WC and Brisbane all are Metricon and not Gabba/Optus in H and A season. How do they get a favourable fixture against all 3 teams? Their only hard away fixture was Port all season.
Heh.

Played those teams as a home fixture at an away ground in Qld. We played West Coast in Qld with us as the home team. Imagine the outrage if that was the other way round. Oh wait.

Sounds like you wouldn’t be happy unless we had 17 away games.

We have been supreme at the G, and 2020 showed we didn’t need home ground advantage to show we were the best.

Looking forward to seeing some games in Melb next year with a crowd to ride us home.

Heh.

Played those teams as a home fixture at an away ground in Qld. We played West Coast in Qld with us as the home team. Imagine the outrage if that was the other way round. Oh wait.

Sounds like you wouldn’t be happy unless we had 17 away games.

We have been supreme at the G, and 2020 showed we didn’t need home ground advantage to show we were the best.

Looking forward to seeing some games in Melb next year with a crowd to ride us home.
Richmond got to choose the ground. If Brisbane WC or Geelong get to choose they'd choose Gabba if game had to be in Qld

Richmond got to choose the ground. If Brisbane WC or Geelong get to choose they'd choose Gabba if game had to be in Qld
We didn’t ‘choose’ any ground in your examples from the H&A rounds.

We were allocated a ground in another state to ply our home games from.

And in what world would the ‘away’ teams get to ‘choose’ the ground be even close to realistic anyway?

Incredible.
It sounds like you wouldn’t have been appeased unless Richmond played all their games at the Gabba/SA/WA. And even then I’d expect some sort of bleeting about how many more games we got on the grand final deck than others.

Look they won without MCG which deserves big praise, however it could have been more difficult is all I'm saying.
Not really. Probably the hardest won premiership in VFL/AFL history.
By the way, how many games did West Coast win away from their home ground this year?

Edit. please don't include games won at your nominal home ground in Queensland.

Not really. Probably the hardest won premiership in VFL/AFL history.
By the way, how many games did West Coast win away from their home ground this year?

Edit. please don't include games won at your nominal home ground in Queensland.
Against top 4 WC played 1 at home, 1 away and 2 on their nominated Qld grounds

Worked it out for you kaiserchief13
It was 2.
West Coast really aren't very good are they?
If it wasn't for the leg ups they'd gotten over Victorian clubs this year, they wouldn't have made the finals. Probably a bottom 4 to 6 club atm, all things being equal.

Richmond on the other hand.......

Sorry. That wasn't what I asked.
How many games did West coast win away from their home ground in WA and their nominated home ground in QLD?
At Gabba? Think they lost 1 game just against Brisbane, won 4 maybe 5 games. At Metricon lost to GC, Port, Richmond and Bulldogs. Probably won 2 or 3 games at Metricon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worked it out for you kaiserchief13
It was 2.
West Coast really aren't very good are they?
If it wasn't for the leg ups they'd gotten over Victorian clubs this year, they wouldn't have made the finals. Probably a bottom 4 to 6 club atm, all things being equal.

Richmond on the other hand.......
Richmond lost to Port away and every other top 5 team they played at their nominated ground, so stop saying how hard they had it. If they had to play Brisbane at Gabba and WC at Optus it would have been the most difficult fixture but they got out of those games

Richmond lost to Port away and every other top 5 team they played at their nominated ground, so stop saying how hard they had it. If they had to play Brisbane at Gabba and WC at Optus it would have been the most difficult fixture but they got out of those games
Sorry mate. You're obviously some sort of Trumpist living in an alternate reality.
Poor fellow.

Anyway, I'll continue to celebrate the hardest won premiership ever. I'm sure you'll continue to try and denigrate it, whilst whinging that the AFL didn't give your club enough unsporting advantages for it to win an unearned and undeserved premiership.
Odd culture you mob have developed over there. Does feeing so entitled make you feel happy? I reckon it'd make you feel angry and depressed and let down.

Sorry mate. You're obviously some sort of Trumpist living in an alternate reality.
Poor fellow.

Anyway, I'll continue to celebrate the hardest won premiership ever. I'm sure you'll continue to try and denigrate it, whilst whinging that the AFL didn't give your club enough unsporting advantages for it to win an unearned and undeserved premiership.
Odd culture you mob have developed over there. Does feeing so entitled make you feel happy? I reckon it'd make you feel angry and depressed and let down.
As I already said Richmond did well, but it could have been more difficult like i already said and proven above

The difference between Richmond and West Coast is that Richmond have proven they can consistently win anywhere, whereas the Eagles struggle the second they leave home.

Over the last couple of years Richmond are:

17-6-1 at home
17-5 away from home

Barely any difference. They've won 65% of their games on the road since 2017, to go with 80% in Melbourne.

West Coast dominate their home deck just as much as Richmond (79% W/L ratio), but they've won barely half their games on the road in that time (52%).

That's why their fans are always complaining about the ground, because it has a huge effect on their team's performance. Whereas Richmond seem to be able to win anywhere. Put the two teams on a neutral venue (like this year) and the Eagles can't compete.

We played those teams at neutral grounds though, so its not an advantage, it's null for both competing sides.

The difference between Richmond and West Coast is that Richmond have proven they can consistently win anywhere, whereas the Eagles struggle the second they leave home.

Over the last couple of years Richmond are:

17-6-1 at home
17-5 away from home

Barely any difference. They've won 65% of their games on the road since 2017, to go with 80% in Melbourne.

West Coast dominate their home deck just as much as Richmond (79% W/L ratio), but they've won barely half their games on the road in that time (52%).

That's why their fans are always complaining about the ground, because it has a huge effect on their team's performance. Whereas Richmond seem to be able to win anywhere. Put the two teams on a neutral venue (like this year) and the Eagles can't compete.

Yes, thanks for pointing out the relative effect of an obviously unbalanced travel burden on two clubs.

No team plays all their games away bud. But we played all our games as neutral games or as pure away games.

And from this the only sides we didn’t beat in 2020 were GWS, Haw and Coll (who we drew with).

And now we are up there with the Eagles, Cats and Lions with claims that we were not allowed to play our earned final at our home ground. Not that it’s worth whinging about, it makes our achievement even better.

Damn impressive.

No team plays all their games away bud. But we played all our games as neutral games or as pure away games.

And from this the only sides we didn’t beat in 2020 were GWS, Haw and Coll (who we drew with).

And now we are up there with the Eagles, Cats and Lions with claims that we were not allowed to play our earned final at our home ground. Not that it’s worth whinging about, it makes our achievement even better.

Damn impressive.
Yeah but the point of this thread is????

You're the top contributor in this thread.
Maybe if you make a few dozen more posts angrily insisting you don't care, someone will believe you.
Just replying to people who quote me, I seem to have hit a nerve with Richmond supporters who invest a lot of self worth in the performance of their team.

Remove this Banner Ad

If 7 straight games at the MCG leading into finals is an advantage....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back